• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout

Trout's career numbers to date -- even with some IL (or DL) time during at least two/three of those seasons -- are OFF THE CHARTS.

Trout's numbers are good -- but they are also CONSISTENTLY GOOD to GREAT.

anyone can have a career year -- Trout seems to have what are for other guys' 'a career year' EVERY year,.

that's why I just laugh when folks even try to compare Harper to Trout.  Huh ??? What??

On 6/9/2019 at 1:13 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Betts seems to alternate great years with merely good ones. Still an overall great player, but he's no Mike Trout (except for last year...when he was).

Betts best year at the plate prior to his fluke 2018 was a 133 OPS+. That's not MVP numbers.

Trout's lowest OPS+ number is 168 and he led the AL his rookie year with that number. He has led the AL the last four years in a row and this year, again, he is the top dog.

Let that sink in, he out hit Betts playing half his games in run suppressing Anaheim last season. 

Betts is a really good player. He will never sniff the MVP award again. 

4 hours ago, Randy Gradishar said:

I still don't get how his first two years are his best by fWAR. Is he more valuable in LF? Do a couple SBs make up for like .150 OPS?

He didn't play LF. He moved over there for an inning or two sometimes for Bourjous as a defensive replacement. Bust most of his time was in center. His second season was "only" 9 WAR, which is lower than more than half of his seasons. His first season he stole 49 bases, way more than average. 

44 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

He didn't play LF. He moved over there for an inning or two sometimes for Bourjous as a defensive replacement. Bust most of his time was in center. His second season was "only" 9 WAR, which is lower than more than half of his seasons. His first season he stole 49 bases, way more than average. 

Not true. He played over 325 innings  in LF in each of the 2012 & 2013 seasons 

On 6/11/2019 at 4:44 AM, happybat4 said:

Trout LF whenever he and Bourjas started

Unless injured Bourjos was a starter.  It wasnt until they traded Bourjos did Trout become fulltime cf.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:52 PM, Randy Gradishar said:

I still don't get how his first two years are his best by fWAR. Is he more valuable in LF? Do a couple SBs make up for like .150 OPS?

Well, 2017 and 18 were both 10+ WAR paces, but he played only 114 and 140 games, respectively. Here's PA/WAR by year (lower is better):

2012: 63.3

2013: 70.2

2014: 84.9

2015: 73.3

2016: 70.2

2017: 73.5

2018: 62.0

2019: 63.3

So according to that, 2018 has actually been his best year per PA, with 2012 and '19 the same. Ironically his first year as MVP was also his worst, but then he stabilized back close to 2013 levels ofr a few years before taking a step forward last year.

By hitting alone, we have remarkable consistence from 2012-16, with wRC+s of 167, 176, 167, 171, and 170, before a rise in 2017 (181), 2018 (191). This year he's at 184 so far, so a slight dip but basically in line with 2017-18.

If he stays healthy he should surpass 10 fWAR this year. 

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well, 2017 and 18 were both 10+ WAR paces, but he played only 114 and 140 games, respectively. Here's PA/WAR by year (lower is better):

2012: 63.3

2013: 70.2

2014: 84.9

2015: 73.3

2016: 70.2

2017: 73.5

2018: 62.0

2019: 63.3

So according to that, 2018 has actually been his best year per PA, with 2012 and '19 the same. Ironically his first year as MVP was also his worst, but then he stabilized back close to 2013 levels ofr a few years before taking a step forward last year.

By hitting alone, we have remarkable consistence from 2012-16, with wRC+s of 167, 176, 167, 171, and 170, before a rise in 2017 (181), 2018 (191). This year he's at 184 so far, so a slight dip but basically in line with 2017-18.

If he stays healthy he should surpass 10 fWAR this year. 

I sure wish I knew what all this means Angelsjunky.  This is what is must be like for Ohtani when he tries to read a menu in America.

I'm assuming it means Mike Trout is really good.  Thanks for the research and info.

9 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

I sure wish I knew what all this means Angelsjunky.  This is what is must be like for Ohtani when he tries to read a menu in America.

I'm assuming it means Mike Trout is really good.  Thanks for the research and info.

Stick with that assumption.

But in all seriousness, the point I was trying to make is that Trout has been every bit as good--and in some ways better--over the last two years than he was in his first two, despite having lower fWAR.