• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LAT: Proposed Angels ballpark in Long Beach could cost more than $1 billion, might not open until 2025

My take..... 

- Arte may actually move the Angels.  They haven't been shy about looking at new sights, quite publicly, and the very first thing Arte did after buying the team is attempt to re-brand them as a Los Angeles franchise in an effort to increase revenue through multiple outlets, and that appears to have worked.  Not only that, Angel stadium is cookie-cutter, needs a face-lift, has no Orange County or California specific features and Long Beach is willing to build a stadium and give Arte the opportunity to have a water-front stadium and California specific design.  Plus, Angel Stadium's seating capacity is already too big.  Why play in front of a 2/3 full stadium when you could build something with less seats and pack the house every night?  Arte doesn't care about parking lots, he cares about making the Angels game a destination and putting it smack in the middle of a vibrant entertainment district is probably exactly what he's looking. 

- Moving the Angels away from Orange County does indeed alienate a big portion of the fan base, and Arte's got a sweetheart of a deal playing in Anaheim.  It doesn't make business sense to move the team.  It doesn't even make sense to renovate the stadium until it begins to adversely affect the fan experience which will cost him money.  The very fact that the Angels have pursued other options publicly seems to be more of a negotiating tactic by Arte.  Notice that he hasn't acted on any of it?  Angel Stadium allows you to come in and get out easily and there's so much room to build up the surrounding areas, he'd be a fool to pass on the chance of that.  And why fund a complete rebuild when you can simply do another face-lift for less?

Conclusion: I'm thinking Arte ends up working something out with Anaheim where they share the costs of a major face-lift to the park, which won't be very good in the first place because it needs more of a rebuild than a renovation.  And the Angels remain in Anaheim for another 30 years in another sweetheart deal for Arte Moreno.  

Edited by Second Base

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

...he cares about making the Angels game a destination and putting it smack in the middle of a vibrant entertainment district is probably exactly what he's looking.

Now THAT'S funny. Stop it. My sides hurt.  No... really.  I can't breathe.  You're killing me.  I'm going to pass out.

Edited by True Grich

12 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Now THAT'S funny. Stop it. My sides hurt.  No... really.  I can't breathe.  You're killing me.  I'm going to pass out.

it's only the first 15 years of Arte's ownership that shows he's done nothing to initiate a vibrant entertainment district.

13 minutes ago, True Grich said:

That was my thought as well, but Long Beach says that's what they're going to build.  I have my doubts but we'll see. 

17 minutes ago, Second Base said:

re-brand them as a Los Angeles franchise in an effort to increase revenue through multiple outlets, and that appears to have worked. 

For the millionth time I've asked on this board, please show your work.

Government building costs are always underestimated.  Probably $1.5B, if lucky, to build.  Also, this will require LBC taxpayers, who already are hit with the highest sales tax, to take on either more tax or agree to have money diverted from other underfunded city initiatives to a ballpark to support a billionaire.  The Giants and maybe A’s will build their own.  San Diego built Petco but they were also looking to renew a blighted area so they could at least attempt to justify the investment.  

This is a total non-starter and negotiating ploy.  The only people that are going to be left holding the bag are LB.   

2 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

Government building costs are always underestimated.  Probably $1.5B, if lucky, to build.  Also, this will require LBC taxpayers, who already are hit with the highest sales tax, to take on either more tax or agree to have money diverted from other underfunded city initiatives to a ballpark to support a billionaire.  The Giants and maybe A’s will build their own.  San Diego built Petco but they were also looking to renew a blighted area so they could at least attempt to justify the investment.  

This is a total non-starter and negotiating ploy.  The only people that are going to be left holding the bag are LB.   

When the environmental impact study comes back with all of the recommended neighborhood improvements that will be required to accommodate a new stadium it will quickly escalate to $3B+ 

Everyone has their hand out when these type of ventures are discussed. Oh we will need a new fire station, police station, additional personnel, streets widened, office relocations.....

not going to happen. 

Anaheim already has big plans with the Ducks developing a significant entertainment district.  The Angels are surely part of their hoped for plans.  What’s best for the Angels and Anaheim is if they stay together.  It also happens to be best for the fan base and that should matter.  Ask the Chargers. Hopefully it works out. 

3 hours ago, Tank said:

you should buy a boat so you can moor it at the yacht club. just tell them you're a friend of mine and they'll give you a slip for the evening.

then you can go see victor's mom and get your barnacles scrubbed

*if you know what i mean

Just be sure to give her the slip when you are done. 

3 hours ago, yk9001 said:

I still can't get over the 7 mile shuttle.

First, you have to get to the shuttle lots near the 405 during rush hour, then there's about a 30-40 minute ride through crowded city streets with lots of red lights. After the game it's still at least 20 minutes back to your car with light traffic.

If the Angels move to Long Beach; given the team's history, I'll tell you exactly what will happen.

Mike Trout will be the first to arrive at the stadium on Opening Day. At precisely the time he walks out on the field to warm up - a tsunami will hit the stadium and sweep Trout out into the pacific ocean. An intensive man hunt will take place and Jo Adell will insist on being a part of the search team because that's just the kind of guy he is.

A second wave of the tsunami will hit and Adell will also be swept out to sea.

Forced into a desperate situation - the Angels will be forced to sign the sons of Vernon Wells and Gary Matthews, Jr. to replace Trout and Adell.

The team will lose 150 games. 

Arte will sell the team and they will move to Portland, sign Vlad, Jr. and Ronald Acuna, Jr. and win six consecutive World Series' with AJ Pierzynski managing the club.

Several members of AW will be indicted for planning to blow up the stadium in Portland.  They will post bail, thanks to the generosity of Albert Pujols, who feels bad for them.

Eventually, they'll all be sent to San Quentin - where they will live out their days yelling at the clouds. 

Sadly, tank will be the first to pass away because he's forced to eat meat. 

Stradling will eventually escape, digging his way out of the prison using illegal straws from In 'n Out.

Chuck will organize a prison-wide fantasy baseball league that is so volatile that all the managers in the league will end up killing each other - while wardens kevinb and backupthetruck look the other way, laughing.

Lou will never see the inside of a prison because he becomes the state's key witness - turning over thousands of posts implicating all of the AW members planning to bomb the stadium.

Inside Pitch will also escape when he makes a fool out of the prosecuting attorney, but is shot to death outside the court house by former AW members who were made to look like fools from past arguments.

Taylor will also escape by moving to Washington, DC and taking refuge under Trump's couch.  The very couch the took a dump on when visiting the White House in 2019.

I could go on and on... but you get the picture...

To be continued.... (?)

Edited by True Grich

2 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

First, you have to get to the shuttle lots near the 405 during rush hour, then there's about a 30-40 minute ride through crowded city streets with lots of red lights. After the game it's still at least 20 minutes back to your car with light traffic.

Just sleep in the park for a few hours before heading home.