• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Goodwin

This guy has been great so far.  I don’t see him letting up. Doesn’t seem that the Angels find guys, at least position players, off the scrap heap that end up producing. Definitely a +1 for Eppler. I wonder what will happen when Upton returns?  Lots can happen until then, but he definitely should be in the everyday lineup. Perhaps RF, though his arm isn’t meant for RF.  

Goodwin is still benefiting from an unsustainable .404 BAbip, but working in his favor is the fact that he's been consistently good every single series so far. He's also showing great pitch recognition and patience - seeing nearly 4.5 pitches per plate appearance, which is fantastic - and making good, hard consistent contact with an increased line drive %.  And now that we're hitting 100 PA range, things start to normalize a bit, at least for trends. 

I'm expecting regression, but even if he drops from his current slash to something resembling .275/.350/.450/.800, we still have a damn good OF. He'd also have to slump quite a bit in the next couple weeks to drop from his current 1.000 OPS to an .800 OPS and he hasn't let up yet, so we'll see. May will be a big test for Kole and Goodwin. Kole has been all across the board this year - some encouraging signs, some not. 

Likeliest scenario? Goodwin struggles a bit, Kole doesn't blow his chance, and Goodwin becomes the 4th OF when Upton returns. Kole eventually gets dealt in July and Goodwin, not Adell, plays out the year in RF as an audition for 2020.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Goodwin is still benefiting from an unsustainable .404 BAbip, but working in his favor is the fact that he's been consistently good every single series so far. He's also showing great pitch recognition and patience - seeing nearly 4.5 pitches per plate appearance, which is fantastic - and making good, hard consistent contact with an increased line drive %.  And now that we're hitting 100 PA range, things start to normalize a bit, at least for trends. 

I'm expecting regression, but even if he drops from his current slash to something resembling .275/.350/.450/.800, we still have a damn good OF. He'd also have to slump quite a bit in the next couple weeks to drop from his current 1.000 OPS to an .800 OPS and he hasn't let up yet, so we'll see. May will be a big test for Kole and Goodwin. Kole has been all across the board this year - some encouraging signs, some not. 

Likeliest scenario? Goodwin struggles a bit, Kole doesn't blow his chance, and Goodwin becomes the 4th OF when Upton returns. Kole eventually gets dealt in July and Goodwin, not Adell, plays out the year in RF as an audition for 2020.

This is probably what happens if I had to guess as well.  Goodwin is in his age 28 season also. So he’s primed to have a breakout year. I like him hitting behind Trout. When Ohtani comes back however, I wonder if this will work 2,3,4 with Goodwin, Trout, Ohtani?

I'm expecting somewhere in the area of .260/.330/.750 when it's all said and done which is better than what Kole has been the past two seasons...and basically what Kole Calhoun was offensively before he stopped being Kole Calhoun.  Luckily, Eppler is only paying him only $584,000.

When Upton comes back, Kole and Brian will fight it out for playing time depending on who is performing better (or worse) when that happens.  It sucks that Adell went down because he could already be pushing himself into the conversation for starting in RF.

1 hour ago, jordan said:

This guy has been great so far.  I don’t see him letting up. Doesn’t seem that the Angels find guys, at least position players, off the scrap heap that end up producing. Definitely a +1 for Eppler. I wonder what will happen when Upton returns?  Lots can happen until then, but he definitely should be in the everyday lineup. Perhaps RF, though his arm isn’t meant for RF.  

They'll play contracts and Goodwin will be a bench option and Bourjos will be gone. Upton will struggle and hit .260 while Goodwin will be waving from the benches.

What they really should do is put Goodwin in RF when Upton comes back.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Pretty bold prediction that Calhoun brings some form of value to himself to be traded. Unless a world series teams wants a solid defender for the 8th and 9th inning.....

5 minutes ago, jordan said:

We really are. Thanks to @Chuckster70!

No thank you, @jordan & @UndertheHalo

What's funny is we were social media for the Angels well before social media existed. I explored a bit on Twitter and Facebook to see what all the hub bub was about 7 or so years ago and did both, in addition to posting here. It was exhausting, unmoderated and a stage for keyboard warriors and trolls to have a field day.

That said, I rarely post on Facebook about the Angels anymore unless it's big news and have unfollowed all of those Halo Nation type groups  -- I mostly stay on there to keep in touch with old friends and family --  and I typically only use Twitter now to promote our website and content ....and of course, the occasional Ausmus or Bour rant. lol

You just have to filter through so much garbage, others personal drama and shit you don't want to read about on Twitter/Facebook, where at least on here you can come on and get just what you're looking for .... Angels baseball and more... should you want to discuss other topics as well. 

9 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Pretty bold prediction that Calhoun brings some form of value to himself to be traded. Unless a world series teams wants a solid defender for the 8th and 9th inning.....

Look at what we got for Kinsler and Maldonado....Calhoun isn't far removed from what they were in terms of value. Great defense, just below league-average offense.

If he can keep around .220/.300/.425, with his defense, it shouldn't be hard getting something for him.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Look at what we got for Kinsler and Maldonado....Calhoun isn't far removed from what they were in terms of value. Great defense, just below league-average offense.

If he can keep around .220/.300/.425, with his defense, it shouldn't be hard getting something for him.

Especially if the Halos chip in half of his remaining salary by July

Yeah, there is no doubt in my mind that even right now with Calhoun batting under .200, albeit with 7 HR, that he can bring back a Buttrey or Sandoval type prospect back. 

His defense and arm alone with the occasional pop, enough to hit 20 HR will warrant interest from other teams as the summer approaches and contending teams suffer injuries in their outfield. 

I just hope Adell can get back on the field soon and start putting up numbers so we can possibly see him in August or September of this year. 

I'd be more than a little surprised if Eppler traded Calhoun if we are in the playoff hunt in July....unless the return is somebody who could help this year....and that assumes that Goodwin is still producing...

So.. let's say Goodwin continues to play well enough.  How many years of control would the Angels have over him?  How does that work for guys that you claim off waivers, who don't have enough service years?

It's early, but at a glance, Cleveland could be in the market for OF help come July. Tampa could utilize Kole and Avisail in a playoff run platoon, and they have a deep farm to deal from. Boston can't stick with Jackie Bradley Jr. and his .400 OPS if they're in the mix come July - and they will be.

An injury to McCutchen, Harper, Conforto, Nimmo, Soto, Robles, or Markakis could bring any NL East team into play with the arms race those teams are in.

Edited by totdprods

Remember, Goodwin's career slash is a respectable .263/.333/.472 with 23 homers, 10 SB in 532 at-bats. 

532 at bats is a typical full season for the average major league starting position player, so his career line is not too shabby. In the case of Goodwin who had a miserable 2018 with KC, but was more than respectable with Washington in a limited role, combined with the fact that he was the Nationals top 10 prospect previously before making his major league debut ..... it's NOT out of the question here that what he's doing now with more regular playing time and enough major league at bats in terms of experience, we may be seeing the Goodwin that the Nationals had high hopes for when they drafted him. 

2 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

I'm expecting somewhere in the area of .260/.330/.750 when it's all said and done which is better than what Kole has been the past two seasons...and basically what Kole Calhoun was offensively before he stopped being Kole Calhoun.  Luckily, Eppler is only paying him only $584,000.

When Upton comes back, Kole and Brian will fight it out for playing time depending on who is performing better (or worse) when that happens.  It sucks that Adell went down because he could already be pushing himself into the conversation for starting in RF.

i wonder how goodwin would do as a leadoff hitter. stick him there when ohtani returns, giving the halos 1. goodwin 2. trout 3. ohtani

that'd be a pretty good start in the first inning.

13 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Remember, Goodwin's career slash is a respectable .263/.333/.472 with 23 homers, 10 SB in 532 at-bats. 

532 at bats is a typical full season for the average major league starting position player, so his career line is not too shabby. In the case of Goodwin who had a miserable 2018 with KC, but was more than respectable with Washington in a limited role, combined with the fact that he was the Nationals top 10 prospect previously before making his major league debut ..... it's NOT out of the question here that what he's doing now with more regular playing time and enough major league at bats in terms of experience, we may be seeing the Goodwin that the Nationals had high hopes for when they drafted him. 

I agree with your point, but it's worth mentioning that slash includes his badass 1.000 OPS Angels career. Take that out and he's .250/.315/.454/.769, OPS+ of 99 in 500 plate appearances, and probably closer to what we should expect. 

Still, let's call that a .265/.335/.455/.790 and you've got an OF good for 25 doubles and 20+ HR, which is pretty damn solid in this day and age.

He's on pace for 30 doubles, 24 HR, and 72 (!!!) walks currently.

11 minutes ago, Tank said:

i wonder how goodwin would do as a leadoff hitter. stick him there when ohtani returns, giving the halos 1. goodwin 2. trout 3. ohtani

that'd be a pretty good start in the first inning.

Currently leads the team with 4.41 pitches/plate appearance. MLB average is 3.9. I think he'd be a good option. 

I do sort of like having him in the #5 or #6 spot though. I think he is sneaking up on pitchers a bit currently and that's why he's doing so well. He is better than opposing staffs/scouts/coaching are expecting when they come in and they don't have time to adjust before the series wraps. Putting him at lead-off increases opposition's focus on him and may expose what's limited him before. 

16 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I agree with your point, but it's worth mentioning that slash includes his badass 1.000 OPS Angels career. Take that out and he's .250/.315/.454/.769, OPS+ of 99 in 500 plate appearances, and probably closer to what we should expect. 

Still, let's call that a .265/.335/.455/.790 and you've got an OF good for 25 doubles and 20+ HR, which is pretty damn solid in this day and age.

He's on pace for 30 doubles, 24 HR, and 72 (!!!) walks currently.

I guess my point being since he's entered into his prime years, maybe Goodwin just figured this shit out and his talent & ability has finally produced results on the field. 

The Angels could have provided him video and data from his early days with the Nationals and compared it to his season last year with the Royals and an obvious flaw was easily recognized and fixed.