• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If you were to trade Adell.....

It is an off day, which always seems to happen when we win a couple in a row, so lets have some topics of discussion.  

If you were to trade Adell what would you want to get back for him?  I think the minimum I would trade him (in a package) for would be Trevor Bauer if he were to sign an extension.  It fills a need, top of the rotation arm.  Him along with Ohtani and Canning might make for a very good 1-2-3.  

Just trying to give us something to talk about.  

You don't trade him. He is close enough to the big leagues. Cheap. We have the pitching Harvey Skaggs Heany Cahill etc are all excellent. Once Ohtani and Upton are back our offense should be golden. You bring up Adell and he adds that added punch as new energy. It's playoff bound for years to come starting this year. 

Before everyone jumps in saying how insane it is to trade Adell, let's skip that part, and try to actually chat about what could theoretically be on the table. 

Bauer would certainly be in the mix, but his comments about only signing one-year deals for the entirety of his career could curb that.

Jameson Taillon is someone I've wondered about from afar. He isn't exactly young, now in his age 27 season, and he's never been exactly an ace, but there's long been signs of promise. He could be a breakout candidate. 
The peripherals have always been strong, he's been fairly durable and has the right frame (6'5") to continue doing so, has the draft pedigree (1st Rd., 2nd pick), and still comes with 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 under control - hasn't hit arb yet. 

It thins out pretty quick. You'd have to find an ace-level MLB SP who:

• Has years of club-control, but also has something of a track record of success
  • Has shown plenty of endurance and durability, while still being somewhat young
  • Has shown enough to make you feel comfortable with them being a legit #1, without being so good that they require Adell plus more.
  • Is on a club that has reason to move them.

It's a pretty tricky blend of variables.

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Bauer would be tempting, with almost 2 years to FA.    Butttt, there's always the chance that although a SoCal guy, he may sign elsewhere.

As good as Bauer has become, I am hesitant to have another Grienke like trade backfiring. 

Which is why for me I said only with an extension.  The one thing about Bauer that is risky is he has said he plans on pitching on year to year contracts so he can maximize his value and bet on himself each year.  If he follows through with that I would not trade Adell for him for 2 years of Bauer.

1 minute ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Chris Paddack.

That's a good one. The Padres might need to see some more of their arms develop before they entertained the thought, but they could use an OF stud like Adell, and they'd come similarly enough in terms of control, cost, impact, upside...

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Which is why for me I said only with an extension.  The one thing about Bauer that is risky is he has said he plans on pitching on year to year contracts so he can maximize his value and bet on himself each year.  If he follows through with that I would not trade Adell for him for 2 years of Bauer.

Yep, Bauer has at various times said he would prefer to go year to year including after he reaches FA.   

First off, I wouldn't trade him. We need a good replacement for Calhoun after 2019 and while Adell may never come close to being Mike Trout, there are a lot of similarities between the two so he could become a superstar for the Halos. 

That said, I'll play. If the Angels were to trade him, I'd hit up the Braves as they have the most pitching to deal. 

I would ask for Ian Anderson & Mike Soroka. 

The other team I would hit up would be the Rockies. I would ask for Yonathon Dada, Ryan Rolison & Peter Lambert. 

But yeah, keep him. 

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That's a good one. The Padres might need to see some more of their arms develop before they entertained the thought, but they could use an OF stud like Adell, and they'd come similarly enough in terms of control, cost, impact, upside...

I think the fact that the Padres are overloaded in OF's, both at the big league level and down on the farm, plus the need for a frontline starting pitcher -- they would pass on this trade.

After getting absolutely hammered for even suggesting such a thing in the off season i was a bit surprised to read this, but ill play  :)

First off i do think you do trade him at this point, weve invested too much and the long term plan says we need him. to step into one of the OF spots as soon as next season.

However, I think if you do trade him, you have 2 options, a big name or a group of smaller ones. 

Given our current situation and roster weaknesses im not sure i would go for the big name.  We have a string of issues that needs to be addressed long term, catcher, 3B, etc... and of course SP.  We could in theory fill a number of holes with a trade of a top 5 milb talent but doing so might push back the big picture plan a bit. 

IF i were to go for the big name it would be an every day player at a position of need such as Realmuto or Arrenado as i had previously mentioned.  But then ive never been a SP first last and in between type guy. 

16 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

First off, I wouldn't trade him. We need a good replacement for Calhoun after 2019 and while Adell may never come close to being Mike Trout, there are a lot of similarities between the two so he could become a superstar for the Halos. 

That said, I'll play. If the Angels were to trade him, I'd hit up the Braves as they have the most pitching to deal. 

I would ask for Ian Anderson & Mike Soroka. 

The other team I would hit up would be the Rockies. I would ask for Yonathon Dada, Ryan Rolison & Peter Lambert. 

But yeah, keep him. 

If the Braves offered two of their best SP prospects and a good hitting prospect I’d have to say I’d be a little intrigued. 

Atlanta has sooo many SP prospects they could actually lose a couple and it wouldn’t hurt, and by getting 2-3 prospects back the Angels have a chance at getting much more value in the long run. Not an awful idea. 

If Tampa offered Tyler glasnow, I'd might be intrigued. I was impressed when he faced us last year & he's really coming into his own now. He doesn't have a lot of service time which is big. Bauer is too close to free agency so unless you're trying absolutely trying to win now, it wouldn't make too much sense.

Having said that, I wouldn't wanna trade Adell. It's awesome to see players grow through your system. This week has been fun to see renifgo & I'm super excited about watching canning this year. 

1 minute ago, Declined said:

If Tampa offered Tyler glasnow, I'd might be intrigued. I was impressed when he faced us last year & he's really coming into his own now. He doesn't have a lot of service time which is big. Bauer is too close to free agency so unless you're trying absolutely trying to win now, it wouldn't make too much sense.

Having said that, I wouldn't wanna trade Adell. It's awesome to see players grow through your system. This week has been fun to see renifgo & I'm super excited about watching canning this year. 

Glasnow looks incredible. Little early to see if he’s really going to be this good going forward, but with every start he’s looking like a legit ace. Snell and Glasnow are a heck of a duo.

Its part of the reason I like Taillon so much. Look how good Cole and Glasnow got after leaving Pittsburgh...

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Glasnow looks incredible. Little early to see if he’s really going to be this good going forward, but with every start he’s looking like a legit ace. Snell and Glasnow are a heck of a duo.

Its part of the reason I like Taillon so much. Look how good Cole and Glasnow got after leaving Pittsburgh...

What is it about Pittsburgh?   Too cheap to spend to get real pitching coaches in there? 

I don't think I'd trade him for Bauer. The fact is the Angels are going to need offense. Marsh and Jam Jones are huge question marks right now, and so are Ward and Thaiss. All the other good hitting prospects are either super young (Adams, Jackson, Knowles, etc.) or project to be more like a David Fletcher type (Rengifo). Upton is almost 32 now 

It's tempting to move him for an ace but pitchers scare me with the increasing amount of injuries they are having.

We should build around Trout/Ohtani/Adell

I think you build around Trout and that’s already started with Ohtani. Adell should also be part of that foundation. We’ve been waiting for the farm to provide some solid youth for quite sometime so trading Adell right now would be counterproductive at this point. 

Anyone who is in here arguing that the Angels shouldn't trade Adell is totally and completely missing the point. 

There's probably a .05% chance the Angels actually deal Adell. We all know that, we all expect that. 

This thread is more to discuss who would actually be worth it in a theoretical deal, not the merits of dealing him.

Just now, totdprods said:

Anyone who is in here arguing that the Angels shouldn't trade Adell is totally and completely missing the point. 

There's probably a .05% chance the Angels actually deal Adell. We all know that, we all expect that. 

This thread is more to discuss who would actually be worth it in a theoretical deal, not the merits of dealing him.

You only trade Adell for a Bauer type player if you’re in a playoff chase. A Greinke type scenario. 

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think the counterpoint people are making in return is that the Angels need cost-controlled bats almost as much as they need pitching. And Adell is supposed to be a huge part of that moving forward.

Maybe I don't have the faith that others do in Marsh/Jones/Thaiss though. Also, the guys that we just drafted (Adams, Jackson) and signed (Knowles, Maintain, Soto) are years away from making an impact. The great thing about Adell is that he'll be a full time player by September

Honestly, how much can we talk about Ausmus being dumb or Bour being a big slob?  I was looking for some actual discussion on what it would take to move him.  I am not even suggesting trading him, more what would it take in your eyes to consider moving him.  If there was a catcher that was looked at the same way Adell was that might be intriguing as well.  I would only trade him for 4 plus years of control, so it makes it very tough to find that.  I wouldn’t trade him for a Greinke type where he will be a free agent at years end.  Hell I wouldn’t trade him for a Greinke type if we were destined to be in the playoffs this year.  

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Honestly, how much can we talk about Ausmus being dumb or Bour being a big slob?  I was looking for some actual discussion on what it would take to move him.  I am not even suggesting trading him, more what would it take in your eyes to consider moving him.  If there was a catcher that was looked at the same way Adell was that might be intriguing as well.  I would only trade him for 4 plus years of control, so it makes it very tough to find that.  I wouldn’t trade him for a Greinke type where he will be a free agent at years end.  Hell I wouldn’t trade him for a Greinke type if we were destined to be in the playoffs this year.  

Strad if we have a club that Eppler believes is in a good enough position to make a serious championship run at the break and there is a front line Ace available you make that trade. But I’m talking about a solid core team that’s just missing a piece. This Angels team is not that team yet.