• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

1-6, but....nothing's changed

Two things:

1) The Eppler Plan saw 2020 as being a more probably timeframe to contend - maybe even 2021. That's when the best prospects will start to pay dividends on the major league level. Eppler wasn't writing 2019 off, but it was/is a bit of a long-shot.

2) Now if  you're dead-set on contending this year, remember that we're only seven games in. Let's see how April plays out. Consider it a "let's see what we have" month. Once we get to May, hopefully the team will be playing better, and we may also start seeing prospects coming up: Thaiss, Ward, Rengifo, Walsh, Canning, Suarez, etc. Not to mention Ohtani.

Eppler hasn't failed or even disappointed. We really should have modest expectations for this year, but it is very early. Enjoy Trout, keep an eye on the farm, and hope for the best, but think in terms of the long-term.

1 minute ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Show me the path to contention in 2020 that doesn’t involve multiple prospects becoming stars in there rookie year. I’d love to see it

Signing Cole and Ohtani returning to the mound.   Adell being in contention for rookie of the year, Thaiss giving us league average production and Rengifo being an on base guy that can lead off. 

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

Signing Cole and Ohtani returning to the mound.   Adell being in contention for rookie of the year, Thaiss giving us league average production and Rengifo being an on base guy that can lead off. 

Straddling still basking in the glow of Opening Night.

I just said it another thread, but to me, stressing about catching a second WC slot doesn’t sound as fun as hoping Cahill, Harvey, Lucroy, Allen, and maybe one of Calhoun, Cozart, Bour, or a reliever, plays well enough to allow Eppler a nice Buttrey/Sandoval return on a couple of these investments. And if those guys do produce we’ll wind up in the mix anyways. But I want to see some July trades and even more depth hit the farm, so Billy can add via FA or trades this offseason.

We can field a really intriguing team next season off internal options alone - lets just add to that crop, free up money, and let Billy make some impact moves this winter.

I know Eppler is giving us a “chance at WC if it can all click”. But we know what to expect. I’m not writing the Angels off already but lineup changes need to be done. Pujols needs to hit in spots 6-8, Fletcher needs full time job over LaStella and Cozart is a mess. If he continues, Ward needs to come back home permanentally. Same with Bour, if Thaiss has a strong few weeks in AAA and Bour/Pujols continue to flirt with .230 and below then maybe it’s time. Oh wait, service time. Gotta keep him under team control for another year ;) 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Straddling still basking in the glow of Opening Night.

Bad baseball is better than no baseball.  Felt good to be back at the stadium.  But what you quoted is what it will take to contend.  No one becomes a super star except possibly Adell.  I was just answering his question.  

10 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Show me the path to contention in 2020 that doesn’t involve multiple prospects becoming stars in there rookie year. I’d love to see it

2b, 3b, of, 1b are all black holes.  We dont need to have multiple prospects to be stars.  We need multiple positions not to completely suck.....like the last four years!

I do think eppler has done a poor job filling the black holes in our lineup with just mediocre play.  

10 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

C'mon, simply getting league average production from any of the black holes would likely have them in contention -- that's not a really high bar.     

I get the point you're trying to make but you can't look at this team and argue that the reason it's sucking wind is because it's lacking stars -- it's awful right now because it's not even getting replacement level offense much less league average.

The team OPS+ is 56!  LOL...

Thats like a team full of 1st half Calhouns last year...

18 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

Tell that to nearly 3/4 of this forum expecting a coin flip chance at WC contention and 80+ wins a mere week ago, sure a lot of these players won't be hitting .059 in a month from now but if this team doesn't have more than 12 wins in April it's time to call up the reinforcements and begin Spring Training 2.0.  

I still think they have a decent chance at WC contention. It is April frickin 5th. I mean, the Red Sox are 2-6 and do you honestly think they're done? They're a much better team than the Angels and almost certainly will catch fire at some point and eventually end up with 90++ wins (although Sale's drop in velocity is a big concern, but that's another matter).

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

C'mon, simply getting league average production from any of the black holes would likely have them in contention -- that's not a really high bar.     

I get the point you're trying to make but you can't look at this team and argue that the reason it's sucking wind is because it's lacking stars -- it's awful right now because it's not even getting replacement level offense much less league average.

The team OPS+ is 56!  LOL...

Thats like a team full of 1st half Calhouns last year...

I agree somewhat. But they’re probably going to finish 15 games behind where they need to be for next year. I’m just saying that’s a lot of ground to makeup in a year. Other than Adell, I’m not sure I expect any of the prospects to be even average in their rookie years. We hope for it obviously and I’m optimistic about Rengifo and Canning personally.

its going to require better signings than Eppler has shown so far in order to compete next year. It will not all be done from within. Having the talent on the farm is just the start 

5 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I know Eppler is giving us a “chance at WC if it can all click”. But we know what to expect. I’m not writing the Angels off already but lineup changes need to be done. Pujols needs to hit in spots 6-8, Fletcher needs full time job over LaStella and Cozart is a mess. If he continues, Ward needs to come back home permanentally. Same with Bour, if Thaiss has a strong few weeks in AAA and Bour/Pujols continue to flirt with .230 and below then maybe it’s time. Oh wait, service time. Gotta keep him under team control for another year ;) 

This, except give Fletcher 3B and Rengifo 2B.