• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Matt Harvey goes down with Angels first injury of spring training

AngelsWin.com

TEMPE, Ariz. — It didn’t take long for an Angels starting pitcher to go down with an injury, although the first indications are that this one isn’t serious.

After the Angels announced on Wednesday that Matt Harvey has a strained left glute, which will sideline him for at least a week and a half, Harvey said he is “not at all” concerned that he might not be ready when the season starts.

“If it was during the season, I’d probably just take some anti-inflammatories and keep playing,” Harvey said. “This early in the spring, we just want to get it completely out of the way.”

Harvey said he felt something during agility drills on Tuesday, the first official workout for pitchers and catchers. After an examination and discussion with the medical staff, they decided to shut him down briefly.

Harvey said he’s hoping he can still do some throwing even while his mobility is limited, so he won’t lose arm strength while waiting for the strain to heal.

Manager Brad Ausmus said if Harvey only misses a week and a half, he should still be fine for the start of the season.

Harvey also didn’t express much concern.

“It’s nothing to be alarmed about,” he said. “It’s just unfortunate it’s this early with a new team and having to miss a little bit of time. It’s not ideal, but I’ll pick up right where I left off.”

Although it appears to be a minor injury, it certainly brings back disturbing memories for the Angels and Harvey. The Angels have seen their past two seasons scuttled by a series of injuries to the starting rotation, and Harvey has been hurt several times during his career.

ALSO

Daniel Hudson, who signed a minor-league deal just before the start of spring training, said he is no longer having any trouble with the forearm injury that cost him the end of last season with the Dodgers. Hudson, who has had two Tommy John surgeries, said “everything feels great.”…

Jake Jewell said he’s back to 100 percent after missing the second half of last season with an ankle injury that required surgery. Jewell was hurt covering home plate in his third big league game. …

Ausmus is not ready to reveal his opening day starter. Asked if he had idea who it might be, he said: “If I did, I wouldn’t tell you.”

View the full article

So a couple of hours ago, I was alone in my car driving down the street when I heard the guy read some sports headlines on my humble AM radio.

The words "Matt Harvey" register and are followed by "first injury of the spring" and "out" for a while.

I BROKE INTO A FIT OF HOWLING LAUGHTER!!! 

Witnessed only by me. But I assume it echoed from San Diego to Seattle. 

I'm still periodically chuckling.

How are Albert's knees and feet doing so far?

"It’s nothing serious,” Harvey said. “If this was during the season, I would keep going, probably take some anti-inflammatories and keep playing. This early in the spring, we discussed, we just want to get it completely out of the way. We’re going to figure out how to not use my lower extremities and be able to throw so I don’t lose any arm strength or anything like that. Once I get cleared to fully move around, then I can jump right back out on the mound and get going.”

sidenote: I have never broken out in a fit of howling laughter 

2 hours ago, Lou said:

"It’s nothing serious,” Harvey said. “If this was during the season, I would keep going, probably take some anti-inflammatories and keep playing. This early in the spring, we discussed, we just want to get it completely out of the way. We’re going to figure out how to not use my lower extremities and be able to throw so I don’t lose any arm strength or anything like that. Once I get cleared to fully move around, then I can jump right back out on the mound and get going.”

sidenote: I have never broken out in a fit of howling laughter 

Laughter can be good therapy when you hear injury and Angel in the same sentence.