• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would it be unsatisfying in any way?

Dtwncbad

Juat curious on this. . .

We all know the Angels have made enormous strides in improving the farm system and it looks like better days are ahead.

We all want Trout to be here long term.  Let's say he extends.

And then let's ALSO say Moreno goes out today and buys Bryce Harper and also buys Arenado next offseason.

If the Angels then dominated for 5 years and won a couple of World Series with Arenado and Harper among the significant reasons for the success. . .

Does that lessen the satisfaction at all for anyone since those two specific pieces were simply "bought"?

For me it doesn't lessen it at all especially if they are strategic pieces for the overal picture and if the farm is also a huge contributor.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if some Orioles fan or some A's fan whined about the Angels buying a championship since it just wouldn't be true.

Anyone out there against big name free agents because they think it is a cheap way to win? (That's a funny word when it isn't cheap!)

Edited by Dtwncbad

After seeing one championship in the first 33 years of being a fan, I can't imagine anything lessening the satisfaction of winning "a couple" more in a five-year period.

If anything, it would be more fun to say to my friends who are A's fans: "Don't be mad just because our owner is willing to spend money for his fans."

8 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Are you asking if we’d complain/be unsatisfied if the Angels won a championship with big ticket FA that are signed ?

this seems like the most insane concept I have seen on AW in a long time.  Possibly the most insane concept I’ve ever seen here. 

You and I clearly agree.  I asked because sometimes I detect a tone that wants to reject purchasing talent rather than developing it.

And I think you do both.  I would be very glad to hear nobody on this board would be even a little unsatisfied.

I think it's a legitimate question. Back in the day when the Lakers signed Malone and Payton it made me sour on them... I didn't want them to win that way.

That being said - the scenario you posted wouldn't make me feel any less joy.

The 2002 team was special because the core of Salmon, Anderson, Glaus, Molina, and Erstad were home grown. 

In any case - I just want to feel that joy again - be it with home grown players or not.

I would enjoy an Angels World Championship regardless, but I would enjoy it more if it was a team largely comprised of homegrown talent, both because I'd probably be more emotionally bonded to homegrown players but also because it would seem more impressive - in a similar way that I am more impressed with small market teams that do well over big market teams. 

there aren't many scenarios that would include me being unsatisfied from the Angels winning a WS.  Maybe where they went and gobbled up a bunch of domestic abusers and former PED users coupled with trading Trout.  

Has a team in he last 30-40 years won a WS with no free agents?  Why would I care how much they cost?  Every team has them.  

Even if Arte decided to take payroll to $250 mil and surround Trout with a bunch of all-stars, I would be thrilled.  

I don't really give a hot pile of poo how they get it done.  

It's almost like the OP is asking whether all of us would be satisfied with a championship if we essentially abandoned the current route of trying to build from within and instead signed a bunch of high price FA's and traded away a bunch of prospect for major league help.  Of course we would.  

Those who support what Eppler is doing isn't because we're fixated on the prospects.  It's because we've seen that it's the best chance at getting to a championship.  

I'm all for signing whoever we need to (aside from those mentioned above) and trading away whoever we need to when the time is right.  

If reality included a $250 mil payroll,  then great.  I want the team to give themselves the best chance to win.  

There is also a big difference between unsatisfied and less satisfied.  As AJ said, it would be slightly more satisfying to have a good core of home grown players come together from the time they were put together and have the plan culminate is a championship.  If it didn't go down that way and we still won then it wouldn't matter to me.  

It's almost like asking if I'd be unsatisfied if Jones and Ward became stud major leaguers because they were drafted by a different regime.  

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

there aren't many scenarios that would include me being unsatisfied from the Angels winning a WS.  Maybe where they went and gobbled up a bunch of domestic abusers and former PED users coupled with trading Trout.  

Has a team in he last 30-40 years won a WS with no free agents?  Why would I care how much they cost?  Every team has them.  

Even if Arte decided to take payroll to $250 mil and surround Trout with a bunch of all-stars, I would be thrilled.  

I don't really give a hot pile of poo how they get it done.  

It's almost like the OP is asking whether all of us would be satisfied with a championship if we essentially abandoned the current route of trying to build from within and insteIt's almost like the OP is asking whether all of us would be satisfied with a championship if we essentially abandoned the current route of trying to build from within and instead signed a bunch of high price FA's and traded away a bunch of prospect for major league help. ad signed a bunch of high price FA's and traded away a bunch of prospect for major league help.  Of course we would.  

Those who support what Eppler is doing isn't because we're fixated on the prospects.  It's because we've seen that it's the best chance at getting to a championship.  

I'm all for signing whoever we need to (aside from those mentioned above) and trading away whoever we need to when the time is right.  

If reality included a $250 mil payroll,  then great.  I want the team to give themselves the best chance to win.  

There is also a big difference between unsatisfied and less satisfied.  As AJ said, it would be slightly more satisfying to have a good core of home grown players come together from the time they were put together and have the plan culminate is a championship.  If it didn't go down that way and we still won then it wouldn't matter to me.  

It's almost like asking if I'd be unsatisfied if Jones and Ward became stud major leaguers because they were drafted by a different regime.  

That is definitely a deviation from what I asked.

Its just a question anyway. . . Don't read anything into it.  It is February and I am bored.