• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Wieters

Tank

23 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

but has he lived up to the hype?  

he's a good player but the question still stands.  

Yes in my opinion yes. His careers not even half way over. The guys a top 5-10 player in baseball. I don't understand the hate or people on here calling him a DB. But it is what it is. 

30 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

As of today, the Angels had not gotten involved on Matt Wieters. And he's with Boras, who also has players they have talked about (Keuchel, Maldonado, Kikuchi) so it would be pretty easy for them to also talk about Wieters if they were interested. Seems they aren't. As of now.

Are the Angels and Arte still anti Boras? or have they moved on from that? 

41 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

As of today, the Angels had not gotten involved on Matt Wieters. And he's with Boras, who also has players they have talked about (Keuchel, Maldonado, Kikuchi) so it would be pretty easy for them to also talk about Wieters if they were interested. Seems they aren't. As of now.

Do you have any sense for how important it is internally to sign any of these guys ? Like any notable FA ?

10 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Did you report that the Angels were involved in pursuing Corbin before he actually signed?

13 hours ago, Kevinb said:

He made it to the bigs at age 23 and had a 10 year career career while making millions of dollars. 2x Gold Glove winner and 4x all star. I am curious what else was he supposed to do to live up to potential? Seems like a really good career to me. 

There's a difference between having a a good career and living up to the hype - especially the hype of the magnitude he was getting as a prospect. I'm not going to try and explain the difference to you.  It's just not worth the time and effort.

3 minutes ago, True Grich said:

There's a difference between having a a good career and living up to the hype - especially the hype of the magnitude he was getting as a prospect. I'm not going to try and explain the difference to you.  It's just not worth the time and effort.

Personally I don't ever like viewing catcher prospects on their rankings.  It sure seems to be proven and reliable that just about all of them end up overrated.  They seem to get a pass offensively. . .or at least everyone seems to be OK with junk like "the bat could develop" rather than judging them on their actual performance offensively.

Catching is defense first, we all get that.  But offense does matter, and I think any catcher that shows any even slight indication in the skills assessment that maybe maybe they might hit someday. . .they get way, way overrated.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Yes they had offers to both players. I don’t know what they were, but they were supposedly very competitive. 

So the Angels made competitive offers for two of the better SP's out there.  Who might they be targeting now and would they allocate the money towards a position player if they can't sign the Pitcher(s) they want?

1 hour ago, Halodays said:

So the Angels made competitive offers for two of the better SP's out there.  Who might they be targeting now and would they allocate the money towards a position player if they can't sign the Pitcher(s) they want?

I know they’re in on Keuchel and Kikuchi, although I can’t say to what degree. I also assume they’d have interest in Gio Gonzalez. 

They also could still trade for Sonny Gray, Julio Teheran (probably only after the Braves get someone else) or Mike Minor. 

If they come up empty on starters, i think they are more likely to build up the bullpen than spend on position players.