• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Wieters

Tank

You know, there’s one thing a little interesting about Wieters 2018 - at first glance, nothing exciting, but looking a little closer, he posted an 11.1% BB%, the highest of his career, and his lowest K% - this is probably influenced a little by hitting 8th before the pitcher, but he also had equal time hitting 6th and 7th in ‘18, and in ‘17 he also hit in front of the pitcher with significantly different K and BB%.

If we haven’t found anything better by late January, a 1/$5m would be alright. If he was able to give us .250/.330/.370 it wouldn’t be awful.

Could we do worse? For sure, but he’s about to be 33 and hasn’t posted an OPS+ over 90 in the last 3 seasons. 

It just will feel weird to not get Ramos at that price only to end up with an inferior/older player in Weiters

If you can get him for 1/$4M and then use the $6M savings on bullpen help...okay, at least I get the logic there. So far I just don’t understand the motives

7 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Could we do worse? For sure, but he’s about to be 33 and hasn’t posted an OPS+ over 90 in the last 3 seasons. 

It just will feel weird to not get Ramos at that price only to end up with an inferior/older player in Weiters

If you can get him for 1/$4M and then use the $6M savings on bullpen help...okay, at least I get the logic there. So far I just don’t understand the motives

Wilson Ramos is going to be 31 and posted a combined OPS+ of 85 in three of his last five seasons - 91 in ‘14, 66 in 15, and 97 in ‘17.

He obviously stands a better chance than Wieters at giving you more than a ~90 OPS+ campaign, but it’s not like Ramos has been a consistently above average hitter. Maldonado was around ~70 when he was here, so even a catcher posting a 90 OPS+ would be a decent improvement. The probability of Ramos continuing 110-120 OPS+ is probably pretty low.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Wilson Ramos is going to be 31 and posted a combined OPS+ of 85 in three of his last five seasons - 91 in ‘14, 66 in 15, and 97 in ‘17.

He obviously stands a better chance than Wieters at giving you more than a ~90 OPS+ campaign, but it’s not like Ramos has been a consistently above average hitter. Maldonado was around ~70 when he was here, so even a catcher posting a 90 OPS+ would be a decent improvement. The probability of Ramos continuing 110-120 OPS+ is probably pretty low.

Ramos has a pretty good chance of being right around 100 OPS+ IMO with upside to do a little more like he did last year. I think it was @Dochalothat stated he has an OPS+ around 120 the last 3 years. That’s pretty Facking good man. Weiters is 2 years older and already worse. I guess I don’t see the shine to getting a guy whose maxed out at 90 OPS+ when you could have paid a little more and got a guy with a shot for 115 OPS+ if things go right. That’s not an insignificant difference in upside to me and it’s easily worth an extra 5-6 million in salary for us

a 2 year commitment to a 31 year old is not a bad thing

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

I really think it'll be Alex Avila. We'll see Eppler start surrounding Ausmus with some of his players from back in Detroit like Avila, Anibal a Sanchez, and Justin Upton. 

Waiting for the first person to suggest Miguel Cabrera for 3B.......?

Smart move waiting 10 years for his value to go down.  

This guy had so much hype when he was coming up... there was a web site dedicated to him called Matt Wieters facts that had funny lines on it like "Matt Wieters took batting practice today... there were no survivors."  It's a shame he never really lived up to his potential.

12 hours ago, totdprods said:

Guy had lasik surgery prior to the 2016 season and he turned it back around offensively.   The bat is legit, the issues with Ramos are behind the dish where he's been a pretty awful pitch framer.

5 hours ago, True Grich said:

This guy had so much hype when he was coming up... there was a web site dedicated to him called Matt Wieters facts that had funny lines on it like "Matt Wieters took batting practice today... there were no survivors."  It's a shame he never really lived up to his potential.

He made it to the bigs at age 23 and had a 10 year career career while making millions of dollars. 2x Gold Glove winner and 4x all star. I am curious what else was he supposed to do to live up to potential? Seems like a really good career to me. 

7 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

He made it to the bigs at age 23 and had a 10 year career career while making millions of dollars. 2x Gold Glove winner and 4x all star. I am curious what else was he supposed to do to live up to potential? Seems like a really good career to me. 

Has Bryce Harper lived up to the hype?

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Has Bryce Harper lived up to the hype?

Guy got to the bigs at 19 years old. Had hype when he was maybe 15? or 16? Tough enough to make it to the bigs let alone win an MVP. Be a 6 time All Star. Has 182 HR at age 26 and has a career OPS of 900. Hasn't even hit his prime yet. I guess people can hate on him for having a personality and being outspoken. But shit guy will make over 500 million dollars in his playing career and if he keeps up the way things are going and doesn't have a major injury. Probably will get to 500 home runs or more and be in the HoF. Not bad for a guy with all that hype as a teenager. 

8 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Guy got to the bigs at 19 years old. Had hype when he was maybe 15? or 16? Tough enough to make it to the bigs let alone win an MVP. Be a 6 time All Star. Has 182 HR at age 26 and has a career OPS of 900. Hasn't even hit his prime yet. I guess people can hate on him for having a personality and being outspoken. But shit guy will make over 500 million dollars in his playing career and if he keeps up the way things are going and doesn't have a major injury. Probably will get to 500 home runs or more and be in the HoF. Not bad for a guy with all that hype as a teenager. 

but has he lived up to the hype?  

he's a good player but the question still stands.