• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

I am very disappointed thast Eppler couldn't get anything done during the meetings.  It's not early anymore, though it isn't late yet either. If January 5th rolls around and the Angels still don't have a single starter, then it will begin to strongly appear that Eppler failed this offseason.  But I doubt that'll happen.  He says he was active, so I'm sure he laid the foundation for future deals.  It is becoming increasingly evident that the Angels will be major players for Kikuchi.  And for his services, it's really going to come down to the Angels vs. the Padres.  Really, I think the Angels should be seen as the heavy favorites for him, which would be very exciting.  Come 2020, we'd be rolling with Japan's two best starters in the last half decade. 

And as for who our other starting pitcher will be....the free agent market has narrowed so much now that I'm really not sure what Eppler will do.  Gio Gonzalez won't be blowing up any skirts, but I suppose they could do worse. 

49 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I am very disappointed thast Eppler couldn't get anything done during the meetings.  It's not early anymore, though it isn't late yet either. If January 5th rolls around and the Angels still don't have a single starter, then it will begin to strongly appear that Eppler failed this offseason.  But I doubt that'll happen.  He says he was active, so I'm sure he laid the foundation for future deals.  It is becoming increasingly evident that the Angels will be major players for Kikuchi.  And for his services, it's really going to come down to the Angels vs. the Padres.  Really, I think the Angels should be seen as the heavy favorites for him, which would be very exciting.  Come 2020, we'd be rolling with Japan's two best starters in the last half decade. 

And as for who our other starting pitcher will be....the free agent market has narrowed so much now that I'm really not sure what Eppler will do.  Gio Gonzalez won't be blowing up any skirts, but I suppose they could do worse. 

I'm not getting this...there is no mandate that something - anything - has to get done at the Winter Meetings for it to be a successful offseason.  The Corbin deal was dumb, Eovadli was going to stay in Boston unless we wanted to pay more than 4 years for him, and I'm seeing a ton of tier-2 mediocrity signing multi-year deals.  Eppler is a discplined GM that is not going to blow up the plan just to grab headlines or overpay just to sign someone above average for depth.  

1 hour ago, Ender said:

How do you figure?

Santana is owed $41m over the next two seasons. Edwin is owed $21m w/ a $5m buyout.. We also got a compensatory draft pick. Pretty obvious salary dump with an added draft pick.

Pretty obvious we'll trade Edwin too though.

Dipoto traded Segura, Pazos and Nicasio for a return of J.P. Crawford, Encarnacion and Cleveland's 77th pick of the 2019 competitive balance draft. Brilliant. Mariners farm should be in the top 5 after that pick.

Edited by eligrba

14 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Dipoto traded Segura, Pazos and Nicasio for a return of J.P. Crawford, Encarnacion and Cleveland's 77th pick of the 2019 competitive balance draft. Brilliant. Mariners farm should be in the top 5 after that pick.

Regarding Segura and Pazos ... (this guy has been right on the Mariners subreddit about every single trade before it has happened). And I didn't make that stupid Farm System thread, so no need to give me shit about it.

5 points·8 days ago

There were no offers for Segura even close to the Phillies'. The makeup questions didn't drive the poor market, he's just not considered anything but an above average player who will have to move of short sooner rather than later. That, and the no-trade clause (and the lack of teams willing to add payroll), mean not many teams are willing to part with real value to get him. Either you take the Phillies offer, or you hold him and hope he has a good first half and a contender's shortstop does poorly or gets hurt.

10 points·8 days ago

His velocity drop hurt his value. Mariners fans aren't realizing how bad his second half was.

Even if you think he's an average reliever (like the public projections say), that's just not very valuable in the offseason. You could get a better return at the deadline, but given Pazos' instability, why risk it if the Phillies say he needs to be included?

5 minutes ago, Ender said:

Regarding Segura and Pazos ... (this guy has been right on the Mariners subreddit about every single trade before it has happened). And I didn't make that stupid Farm System thread, so no need to give me shit about it.

5 points·8 days ago

There were no offers for Segura even close to the Phillies'. The makeup questions didn't drive the poor market, he's just not considered anything but an above average player who will have to move of short sooner rather than later. That, and the no-trade clause (and the lack of teams willing to add payroll), mean not many teams are willing to part with real value to get him. Either you take the Phillies offer, or you hold him and hope he has a good first half and a contender's shortstop does poorly or gets hurt.

10 points·8 days ago

His velocity drop hurt his value. Mariners fans aren't realizing how bad his second half was.

Even if you think he's an average reliever (like the public projections say), that's just not very valuable in the offseason. You could get a better return at the deadline, but given Pazos' instability, why risk it if the Phillies say he needs to be included?

Another option would be to keep Segura until the market changes. It always does, particularly when injuries happen.

2 hours ago, Cdaniel said:

Why is the Lynn contract for 3/30 a bad contract?  

Bad contract may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it certainly isn’t a good contract. He’ll be 32 next year and he’s been walking a peripheral tightrope for awhile. He might outperform it still, but it could all catch up quickly. I would’ve been happy with a 1/$10, or a 2/$18m, but 3/$30m is playing with fire, and Eppler doesn’t take those risks.

There are a good dozen FA SPs available that will likely go for 1/$4m to $8m before all is said and done who have the same probability of posting a typical Lynn season.

Rangers made sense - they need a horse who can eat some innings regardless of the quality as they rebuild. They overpaid a bit to secure it, but it was a need for them.

3 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

Pretty funny watching the MLB Network trying stretch out conversation about nearly nothing over four days.

the winter meetings get treated like a swap meet. is that all that actually happens at these yearly gatherings or do they conduct other business that never gets noticed because of all the emphasis on player movement?