• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Farm System Trade Chips and Untouchables

halos.central

4 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

What is future Darth Vader traveled back in time to meet Anakin Skywalker and warned him that Chancellor Palpatine is really a sith lord and was playing him, and that if he just sticks with the jedi, Padme would be totally ok and he can be a dad and husband and live happily ever after?

This just makes me sad, almost wanting to shed a lone, sparkly tear, like a Disney princess.

I'd also rather George Lucas travel back in time to the mid-90s and tell himself how crappy the prequel trilogy would be, not to hire the two actors that played Anakin, and how his abject failure to create good prequels would lead to Disney taking over and the silliness of Princess Leia flying through space.

15 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm 80%  Mediterranean and North African, so could qualify as brownish, or brown enough. OK, olive.

My new sitcom: Brown Enough.

The hillarity ensues while all races shun you because, well, you're really not the right shade of anything. In season 3, to bolster ratings, you find out that your olive complexion actually comes from your mom being abducted by aliens in a cross pollination expirament.

They have returned to see how it worked out and are dissapointed to find out the alien cultures from solar system mango had beat them to punch. At least, they state, they didn't do the planet any harm and create a hybrid game show host politician. 

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

You know....I just couldn't help myself.  Yeah, I missed on the Simmons trade.  So did everyone else here.  And yeah, Hermosillo wasn't as ready as I thought he was.  Missed there too.  Let's not forget Trevor Reckling either.  Missed on that one.  Kyle Kubitza too.  Alex Yarbrough is a notable one I missed on too. 

But I also hit on Michael Clevinger, Peter Bourjos, Mark Trumbo, Randal Grichuk, Mike Trout (everyone else hit that too), Tyler Skaggs, Pat Corbin, Jon Hellweg, Sean Newcomb (yeah, ,everyone hit that one too) and C.J. Cron.

Then there's the much smaller signings and trades.  I was the first to ask if Drew Rucinski had some major leaguer in him after Cleveland let him go.  I wrote in an article that if the Angels traded for Huston Street they should also target some of San Diego's upside arms like Trevor Gott, who I watched close at Kentucky.  I predicted Michael Roth would be major league ready in one year, and he was.  

I predicted that Garrett Richards would be an ace the year after he was drafted, as soon as he learned to get the ball down.  I even said the Angels would probably toy with him being a reliever first but the fact that he had the stamina to go the distance would ultimately make him a starter. 

I predicted that Jean Segura would end up hitting for more power because of his strong lower body, and that his speed and contact ability would make him a dangerous top of the order hitter.....back when he was in A Ball. 

I predicted Kole Calhoun was better than the 4th OF tag he'd been given by most sites based on me being on the back fields in Spring Training and watching the way scouts from other teams reacted when it was his turn to hit.  

In the end Strad, I'm not a perfect talent evaluator.  Far from it.  But I'm not uninformed.  I don't see you at any minor league games.  I've never seen you give an earnest judgment on some no name kid in rookie ball.  I've never heard your name mentioned with I talk with scouts or announcers at the minor league games.  You peak at box scores, and you read everyone else's hard work and then pass it off like you know what the F you're talking about when you haven't seen them, haven't heard of most of them and if it weren't for other people making this stuff easy to access, wouldn't put in the time to actually do this. 

Do you have any idea what that makes you?  You're basically that guy that listens to Rush Limbaugh in the morning and pretends to know what's good for America.  You're that guy that read a book about the war and acts like you know what the frick it was like to be out there.  You're the guy that spent years in education as a student and tells other people how the school system needs to change, despite the fact that you've never taught, worked in admin, developed curriculum etc....

But that's the difference between you and I Strad.  I serve other people that need, because I'm not sure what's good for America, but I know what's good for me and the hungry guy next to me.  I can't forget what it smelled like in Fallujah, or the psychological mind game it was in TQ.  And I know what it's like to legitimately make a difference in a child's life, or fail the ones that I should've made a difference in.  I go to the ball games, and I watch on my tablet from the comfort of my couch.  It takes a little bit of time.....ok really it takes a lot of time, but when you enjoy what you do, it isn't work. 

And I am aggressive Strad.  I get pissed off when other folks try to benefit from the work of others without paying due respect.  Or I just get pissed off when people tear down the work of others without offering a single useful solution.  People like that Strad, are a problem, not a solution. I also get pissed off when people act like something they aren't, whether that's "hard" or "informed" or otherwise.  It's that whole allergic to bullshit phrase that's been coined a thousand different times.  There are a lot of things I'm not very good at, and tolerating that is definitely one of them. 

Again, not perfect, but I'm a hell of a lot better than you give me credit for.  

What was that asian dudes name we had on the Angels we argued about that you thought was going to be a 280 hitter with 25 to 30 home run power thats out of baseball now?

8 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

You know....I just couldn't help myself.  Yeah, I missed on the Simmons trade.  So did everyone else here.  And yeah, Hermosillo wasn't as ready as I thought he was.  Missed there too.  Let's not forget Trevor Reckling either.  Missed on that one.  Kyle Kubitza too.  Alex Yarbrough is a notable one I missed on too. 

But I also hit on Michael Clevinger, Peter Bourjos, Mark Trumbo, Randal Grichuk, Mike Trout (everyone else hit that too), Tyler Skaggs, Pat Corbin, Jon Hellweg, Sean Newcomb (yeah, ,everyone hit that one too) and C.J. Cron.

Then there's the much smaller signings and trades.  I was the first to ask if Drew Rucinski had some major leaguer in him after Cleveland let him go.  I wrote in an article that if the Angels traded for Huston Street they should also target some of San Diego's upside arms like Trevor Gott, who I watched close at Kentucky.  I predicted Michael Roth would be major league ready in one year, and he was.  

I predicted that Garrett Richards would be an ace the year after he was drafted, as soon as he learned to get the ball down.  I even said the Angels would probably toy with him being a reliever first but the fact that he had the stamina to go the distance would ultimately make him a starter. 

I predicted that Jean Segura would end up hitting for more power because of his strong lower body, and that his speed and contact ability would make him a dangerous top of the order hitter.....back when he was in A Ball. 

I predicted Kole Calhoun was better than the 4th OF tag he'd been given by most sites based on me being on the back fields in Spring Training and watching the way scouts from other teams reacted when it was his turn to hit.  

In the end Strad, I'm not a perfect talent evaluator.  Far from it.  But I'm not uninformed.  I don't see you at any minor league games.  I've never seen you give an earnest judgment on some no name kid in rookie ball.  I've never heard your name mentioned with I talk with scouts or announcers at the minor league games.  You peak at box scores, and you read everyone else's hard work and then pass it off like you know what the F you're talking about when you haven't seen them, haven't heard of most of them and if it weren't for other people making this stuff easy to access, wouldn't put in the time to actually do this. 

Do you have any idea what that makes you?  You're basically that guy that listens to Rush Limbaugh in the morning and pretends to know what's good for America.  You're that guy that read a book about the war and acts like you know what the frick it was like to be out there.  You're the guy that spent years in education as a student and tells other people how the school system needs to change, despite the fact that you've never taught, worked in admin, developed curriculum etc....

But that's the difference between you and I Strad.  I serve other people that need, because I'm not sure what's good for America, but I know what's good for me and the hungry guy next to me.  I can't forget what it smelled like in Fallujah, or the psychological mind game it was in TQ.  And I know what it's like to legitimately make a difference in a child's life, or fail the ones that I should've made a difference in.  I go to the ball games, and I watch on my tablet from the comfort of my couch.  It takes a little bit of time.....ok really it takes a lot of time, but when you enjoy what you do, it isn't work. 

And I am aggressive Strad.  I get pissed off when other folks try to benefit from the work of others without paying due respect.  Or I just get pissed off when people tear down the work of others without offering a single useful solution.  People like that Strad, are a problem, not a solution. I also get pissed off when people act like something they aren't, whether that's "hard" or "informed" or otherwise.  It's that whole allergic to bullshit phrase that's been coined a thousand different times.  There are a lot of things I'm not very good at, and tolerating that is definitely one of them. 

Again, not perfect, but I'm a hell of a lot better than you give me credit for.  

Did I miss the memo for blowing ourselves? I wouldn't think I'd miss a memo like that.

7 hours ago, Kevinb said:

What was that asian dudes name we had on the Angels we argued about that you thought was going to be a 280 hitter with 25 to 30 home run power thats out of baseball now?

it was Ji-Man Choi and he's got an .879 ops and .274 avg in limited time with the Rays this year.  He's also got 17 hrs in his 361 major league plate appearances meaning that he's got 25-30 hr power over the course of a full season.  

I didn't read Scotty's dissertation but I would like to make a point.  

Most prospects are going to fail.  Those of us who do prospect reviews could easily say that about every prospect we attempt to give insight on.  Does everyone really want to hear that the odds are Brandon Marsh ends up a 4th OFer?  Or do you want to hear about his upside?  Who he comps to if he were to make it.  Why he's got a good shot at not being a 4th OFer.  

We're not trying sell anyone anything in particular, because at the end of the day those players are going to be who they are.  But why not enjoy a positive approach until they do.  Go ahead and dream on Luis Rengifo a bit as if he's our next dynamic lead off hitter and 2bman of the future.  If he's not then oh well.  Take it with a grain of salt.  

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

You know why you won’t have people talk about me at minor league games?  Because I don’t go often and when I do go it’s to watch the game, not to evaluate swing loft.  I also don’t claim to be a minor league scout, I never have and I never will.  I’m a fan.   So paint me in the light of what I claim to be and I’ll do the same to you.

Thank you for your service.   As for serving people that need it, you don’t know the first thing about me and the things I do or don’t do in the community, so get off your very high horse with that shit.   

I’m not tearing down the work of others I just disagree with your opinion, it’s that simple.   I’m not going to bow down to your opinion because you put a lot of work into it.   The other great evaluators here never Get defensive if you don’t agree with them.  

I get not wanting to trade the youth or you don’t think they’ve reached maximum value, but if a team offers us another Justin Upton type of guy you trade guys not named Adell, Canning and only a couple of others, because it improves the team now and possibly the future.  

Strad, I know as much about you as you know these prospects. I'd venture a guess and say you're between 40-60 years old, a little overweight but not obese, you work an unfulfilling yet decently paid job and drive a car that you spent too much money on because you live in a world full of Joneses that drive nice cars. You love listening to politics on the radio because you love feeling smart and in the know. I'm also guessing you aren't that happy of a person because a happier person wouldn't feel the need behave the way you do on the internet. 

Now I'm guessing I'm wrong on at least half of that stuff. But it just goes to show Strad, that when you don't know something, it's awfully difficult to actually put yourself out there and assess them.

You don't know prospects Strad, and thus smartly you don't make assessments of their abilities. But you're enough of a-hole that you're willing to tell other people that do know them, that they're wrong. In real life, I'd wonder where you get off behaving like that, but on the internet, well it's story of like that book, Ready Player One, you can be whatever you want to be. And you've chosen to be an uninformed yet highly opinionated piece of......work.  

49 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

it was Ji-Man Choi and he's got an .879 ops and .274 avg in limited time with the Rays this year.  He's also got 17 hrs in his 361 major league plate appearances meaning that he's got 25-30 hr power over the course of a full season.  

I didn't read Scotty's dissertation but I would like to make a point.  

Most prospects are going to fail.  Those of us who do prospect reviews could easily say that about every prospect we attempt to give insight on.  Does everyone really want to hear that the odds are Brandon Marsh ends up a 4th OFer?  Or do you want to hear about his upside?  Who he comps to if he were to make it.  Why he's got a good shot at not being a 4th OFer.  

We're not trying sell anyone anything in particular, because at the end of the day those players are going to be who they are.  But why not enjoy a positive approach until they do.  Go ahead and dream on Luis Rengifo a bit as if he's our next dynamic lead off hitter and 2bman of the future.  If he's not then oh well.  Take it with a grain of salt.  

But doc, how would you know if I called him any naughty words unless you read it.