• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Farm System Trade Chips and Untouchables

halos.central

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

it was Ji-Man Choi and he's got an .879 ops and .274 avg in limited time with the Rays this year.  He's also got 17 hrs in his 361 major league plate appearances meaning that he's got 25-30 hr power over the course of a full season.  

I didn't read Scotty's dissertation but I would like to make a point.  

Most prospects are going to fail.  Those of us who do prospect reviews could easily say that about every prospect we attempt to give insight on.  Does everyone really want to hear that the odds are Brandon Marsh ends up a 4th OFer?  Or do you want to hear about his upside?  Who he comps to if he were to make it.  Why he's got a good shot at not being a 4th OFer.  

We're not trying sell anyone anything in particular, because at the end of the day those players are going to be who they are.  But why not enjoy a positive approach until they do.  Go ahead and dream on Luis Rengifo a bit as if he's our next dynamic lead off hitter and 2bman of the future.  If he's not then oh well.  Take it with a grain of salt.  

I completely agree. That's why you don't over hype prospects to a point. Prospects are great but at the end of the day you need some good ones to keep and you need to use some to trade for major leaguers. Can't keep everyone.

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

I completely agree. That's why you don't over hype prospects to a point. Prospects are great but at the end of the day you need some good ones to keep and you need to use some to trade for major leaguers. Can't keep everyone.

That was Stoneman’s main fault, keeping every prospect.  Dipoto of course went the total opposite. 

• Blarg locked this topic
  • Chuck unlocked this topic
16 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

That was Stoneman’s main fault, keeping every prospect.  Dipoto of course went the total opposite. 

It would be hard to fault Stoneman for keeping every prospect if most of them performed at their predicted levels.  I fault him for not having a better evaluation system.  Some organizations seem to be able to consistently develop major league players, some who are average and others who are very good.  The Angels have never been one of those organizations.

Dipoto obviously failed the marshmallow test as a toddler, but managed to receive a participation ribbon and trophy for his efforts.  His self esteem has ballooned ever since.

As far as stoneman, yes, you can say he held on too long to some of our guys...but i think it gets magnified because we fell short getting another ring.

The cabrerra deal was the only real fumble. But again, the asking price was steep for a guy who was headed into FA. And rumors were that the marlins pulled the pkug, not us.

But forget about the second ring. Under stoneman, this team produced lackey. And krod, and shields.

And napoli. And mathis (who we joke about, but is still playing today).

Aybar and kendrick. Those two were the butt of 1000 aw.com critics. Think about how huge it would be if these guys like thaiss and marsh turn into howie.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

As far as stoneman, yes, you can say he held on too long to some of our guys...but i think it gets magnified because we fell short getting another ring.

The cabrerra deal was the only real fumble. But again, the asking price was steep for a guy who was headed into FA. And rumors were that the marlins pulled the pkug, not us.

But forget about the second ring. Under stoneman, this team produced lackey. And krod, and shields.

And napoli. And mathis (who we joke about, but is still playing today).

Aybar and kendrick. Those two were the butt of 1000 aw.com critics. Think about how huge it would be if these guys like thaiss and marsh turn into howie.

Part of the deal was Cabrera negotiating an extension with the team he was to be traded to. If he parties couldn't come to an agreement, the trade wouldn't go through. So FA didnt play a factor. 

57 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Part of the deal was Cabrera negotiating an extension with the team he was to be traded to. If he parties couldn't come to an agreement, the trade wouldn't go through. So FA didnt play a factor. 

You sure? I always remembered that being one of the sticking points, but maybe im just remembering it wrong.

5 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I guess I'm mistaken. For some reason, I remember that being a major sticking point.

I could be wrong (its been a decade) but i thought that was the sticking point, the other way. If i remember correctly, the hangup was thst miami wanted to gut ours or someone elses farm, and the gamble was he could walk afterwards.

For perspective, reading the old articles on it, the dodgers were considering a package of kershaw and kemp for mcab....

Not sure how far that got, but if true, it puts our offer to shame really.

The marlins really screwed that one up.

14 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I could be wrong (its been a decade) but i thought that was the sticking point, the other way. If i remember correctly, the hangup was thst miami wanted to gut ours or someone elses farm, and the gamble was he could walk afterwards.

For perspective, reading the old articles on it, the dodgers were considering a package of kershaw and kemp for mcab....

Not sure how far that got, but if true, it puts our offer to shame really.

The marlins really screwed that one up.

Yes, they did.  Reports indicate they approached the Tigers with that offer and didn't give the Angels the chance to even counter.  Looks like Wood, Saunders, Santana and whoever the rumored last piece was (Willits?) would've been a much greater haul for them.  But the Marlins franchise has been broken for years now.  They're headed in the right direction finally, but it's going to be a while.