• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are the Angels stuck?

Second Base

Not sure if this is a Craig, it may be. I'm looking at the roster and wondering where the Angels will improve. Pujols is coming back at 1B/DH, Ohtani is returning to his part time DH role. Second base will almost assuredly be filled by either Zack Cozart or David Fletcher, which isn't a huge upgrade over what we've had this year. Shortstop is still Simmons, third base will be either Ward or Cozart. The outfield is set.

So basically the only place to upgrade offensively is at catcher, and even if they do get someone that can hit like Grandal, is that a big enough upgrade?

On the mound, our rotation as of right now is Ohtani, Skaggs, Heaney, Barria, Shoe, Tropeano, and Pena with Canning and Suarez in AAA. We also have Meyer and Ramirez coming off surgery, though you have to think they're headed for the bullpen. That's a lot of options, but I think everyone agrees that health will ultimately dictate who pitches and how much. If the Angels do end up signing or trading for a starting pitcher or two, then you're looking at some pretty decent starters being blocked.

And as far as the bullpen goes, Eppler will likely do Eppler things, which means bring in a bunch of inexpensive no names to fill the staff. Plus you have to figure that with Shoe, Tropeano, Pena, Ramirez and Meyer being out of options next year, if they aren't in the rotation, then they are likely to be in the pen.

So I suppose my question is, are the Angels stuck? They aren't a playoff team, but because of financial obligations, do they have the wiggle room to make some major additions? They should be 20 million under the luxury tax, but even if they do make additions, are they worried about blocking guys like Ward, Fletcher, Thaiss, Rengifo, Walsh, Fernandez from developing into major leaguers? 

And if they do go bold and upgrade, which current players will be replaced? Calhoun, Cozart?

Is this a playoff team in 2019?

Post-DL return Calhoun in also damn good defensive RF...if he can carry that over into next season that would be huge.  Trout and Upton round out a pretty great OF.  Not sure how you can improve WAR-wise if all three are performing.

I think Simmons at SS and Ohtani at DH is set but I think everything else is in play.  Pujols may be under contract, but as long as Ohtani is penciled in at DH, it's clear his body can't handle the rigors of a near full season in the field again so I think he'll either be DL'd get more bench time or be bought out at some point.  Despite Cozart's contract, I think 2B and 3B are still in play as well.  Cozart can sub where needed and we still the ability to trade guys like Ward, Fletcher, Rengifo, Thaiss, and Marsh of MLB starters at either position or both.  No one is guaranteed a position apart from SS and DH.  Catcher is obviously upgradeable as well.

As for pitching, they can sign or trade for a starter...all that is doable.  There will also be BP pieces available in free agency or off waivers or to sign to minor league deals.

Still lots of room to maneuver this offseason.

They’re going to have to make trades probably.  I think they’ll be at least one significant addition via trade this offseason. 

I also think there’s a decent chance they sign a big FA.  Grandal makes the most sense, since Fletcher seems to be digging in at 2b, and as you mentioned Cozart will be back. 

As far as playoffs.  I think they’re building towards sustainable competitiveness.  Is that next year ? I don’t know.  But I think it’s getting close.  I think its possible next year.  A reliable upper echelon pitcher and another solid MOTO bat would do wonders for this team imo. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

I don’t think they are stuck and I don’t think this is a total tear down either.  I am not sure where Scotty is getting the $20 million under the tax thing.  They are currently $20 million under before they shed Kinsler, Maldonado from the payroll and replaced them with league minimum guys.  They also will not be paying Garret Richards or Jim Johnson, who unless I am mistake are the two most expensive arms on the team right now. Then add in the luxury tax going up to $209 million next year.  They have money to spend.  Like others have said Grandall has to be choice number one.  After that I would look at whether or not you think Ward is the answer if not a guy like Donaldson might provide some value at a position of need.  Then spend the rest on pitching.  I could see them moving some minor league talent for a very nice pitcher.  So I don’t think they are stuck, unless that is what they choose.  

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t think they are stuck and I don’t think this is a total tear down either.  I am not sure where Scotty is getting the $20 million under the tax thing.  They are currently $20 million under before they shed Kinsler, Maldonado from the payroll and replaced them with league minimum guys.  They also will not be paying Garret Richards or Jim Johnson, who unless I am mistake are the two most expensive arms on the team right now. Then add in the luxury tax going up to $209 million next year.  They have money to spend.  Like others have said Grandall has to be choice number one.  After that I would look at whether or not you think Ward is the answer if not a guy like Donaldson might provide some value at a position of need.  Then spend the rest on pitching.  I could see them moving some minor league talent for a very nice pitcher.  So I don’t think they are stuck, unless that is what they choose.  

The 20 million mark was a ballpark figure I read on this board based on the luxury tax being set at 180 I think.  That included raises to current players IIRC.  But if it's inaccurate then it's inaccurate, no problem.  Maybe the number is closer to 40 million.

When I think about what they can do to improve, the only thing I really envision is Cozart splitting his time between 2B and 3B, and Ward and Fletcher splitting their time as well.  Having Cozart does improve the team if ever so slightly.  That and getting a catcher like Grandal and trading for a starter.  But I think this offseason is probably going to end up being pretty low key for the Angels. 

10 minutes ago, HaloJustinBieber said:

Is Harper an option?  Will his market slide back at all considering the production this year.  Then, potentially trade Kole and his salary with a prospect or two for an upgraded starting pitcher?

No, Harper is not an option. He doesn't fill a need and his career is a roller coaster in the NL band box league. The Angels have a couple of outfielders in the minors to replace Calhoun that will probably be stars in their own right. Having patience is a bitch sometimes. 

If Apple can have the 'courage' to lose the head phone jack then let's hope the Angels can make a courageous decision with regards to Pujols and Ohtani. The team desperately needs to add a bat and someone who can play first base everyday. I'm not sure how much longer the team can keep its head in the sand.

Cots contract info -- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JJEzXDdi1FoAVCxpssrNq04unxs39JIJg6CRn-IPM1c/pubhtml
BBRef contract info -- https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ANA/los-angeles-angels-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

BBRef is projecting arbitration increases totalling about 40 mil which would put the payroll at 164 mil.   They opened this season at 166 mil.   The tax penalty rises to 206 mil.  

There should be some wiggle room there.

Trout could actually start doing more. If you have 100 more walks than the rest of the league, that's all fine and dandy, but it's not really helping the team when you get stranded all the time. If you're going for that super high OBP, you better have a lot more SB than you do...

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

No, Harper is not an option. He doesn't fill a need and his career is a roller coaster in the NL band box league. The Angels have a couple of outfielders in the minors to replace Calhoun that will probably be stars in their own right. Having patience is a bitch sometimes. 

Was thinking of Harper as a running mate for Trout throught their primes, and as insurance in case Trout leaves.  If Harper was paid $30M per and we could get a young pitcher for Calhouns $10M in trade with youngsters (Marsh?), that'd only be a net increase of $20M.  Rotate everyone through DH and still leaves room for Adell in left.  I think we need to be creatively making the team better immediately while using the farm strategically to bring in pitching upgrades.

There are plenty of areas to upgrade, suggesting that there aren't is just nonsense. 1B, C, 3B, SP, RP can all feasibly be improved at least slightly by next season.

Plenty of room for improvement, and they aren't stuck. It will require some tough decisions on some underperforming high paid players and also some smart decisions this offseason by Eppler

1st base has been a blackhole this year, that should be a large priority. It isn't that hard to find someone who can put up respectable stats at that position, so I would start there. Next you address the starting pitching and then offer Grandal a contract at a reasonable price

The team doesnt need a lot of help if they are healthy and play to their ability.

Early in the season Kinsler, Cozart, Calhoun, Young, Marte and Valbueno all played well below expectations. 

Then the injury bug hit hard again.

The problem with the Angel's is that we have too many players that are never healthy and too many players play well below average.  If we can get some luck in the health department and find players at 2nd, 3rd, and and bench players would just be average for their positions. 

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

The team doesnt need a lot of help if they are healthy and play to their ability.

Early in the season Kinsler, Cozart, Calhoun, Young, Marte and Valbueno all played well below expectations. 

Then the injury bug hit hard again.

The problem with the Angel's is that we have too many players that are never healthy and too many players play well below average.  If we can get some luck in the health department and find players at 2nd, 3rd, and and bench players would just be average for their positions. 

Okay and what about the pitching? 

I would argue that they do need a lot of help, but it isn't out of the realm of possibilities to acquire that help by next season. The core is in tact already

1 minute ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Okay and what about the pitching? 

I would argue that they do need a lot of help, but it isn't out of the realm of possibilities to acquire that help by next season. The core is in tact already

Well pitching falls into the category  "never healthy".  I mentioned that.  Since Ohtani is a question mark and Richard's has another year off I think we need to either trade or sign a frontline pitcher.  We dont need backend guys.  We have plenty of options there.  We need a front line guy.  I dont know which free agent is worth pursuing.  Plus I believe we need a closer.  A healthy Shoemaker or Meyer could satisfy those needs.

18 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

There are plenty of areas to upgrade, suggesting that there aren't is just nonsense. 1B, C, 3B, SP, RP can all feasibly be improved at least slightly by next season.

Plenty of room for improvement, and they aren't stuck. It will require some tough decisions on some underperforming high paid players and also some smart decisions this offseason by Eppler

1st base has been a blackhole this year, that should be a large priority. It isn't that hard to find someone who can put up respectable stats at that position, so I would start there. Next you address the starting pitching and then offer Grandal a contract at a reasonable price

Justin Smoak will be available 

59 minutes ago, Blarg said:

No, Harper is not an option. He doesn't fill a need and his career is a roller coaster in the NL band box league. 

Harper is capable of monster seasons. He is also capable of being mediocre. His inconsistency is maddening.

Honestly, I don't see this team moving forward in any meaningful way as long as they have to keep finding ABs for Albert Pujols. At DH he takes ABs away from Ohtani, and he is becoming less and less physically capable of playing 1B as time goes along.