• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

On the bright side...

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

Tough crowd....he tried hard, spent a lot of money..

Great owner -- but the lack of success is real and the mistakes were many.   You could say the same thing about Arte.   I didn't respond to whether or not he tried or anything other than the reality that those teams rarely won.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

3 hours ago, Lou said:

But rarely did. 

Gene wanted to win so bad, that the farm system never truly fully developed.

The 1962 team is still the gold standard for expansion era teams.

86 wins in year two, when none of the other three 1961-1962 expansion teams reached .500 for a season until the 1969 Miracle Mets, and the Halos for good measure had two other +.500 seasons before 1969.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Great owner -- but the lack of success is real and the mistakes were many.   You could say the same thing about Arte.   I didn't respond to whether or not he tried or anything other than the reality that those teams rarely won.  

Spending and spending wisely are definitely not necessarily the same....Autry lost more than he won for sure but maybe half of his tenure was before free agency....totally different era, you couldn’t just spend your way in to contention....

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Gene wanted to win so bad, that the farm system never truly fully developed.

The 1962 team is still the gold standard for expansion era teams.

86 wins in year two, when none of the other three 1961-1962 expansion teams reached .500 for a season until the 1969 Miracle Mets, and the Halos for good measure had two other +.500 seasons before 1969.

^^^ History 101 for a board full of millennials (or younger).....?

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

They were painful, for sure....but it’s a relative thing....I’ll take the pain of being on the cusp of the World Series....far better than figuring out who to sell at the All Stat break.....As for Autry, he and Arte weren’t/aren’t perfect but they were willing to spend to try to win (with a few exceptions)....I can’t forgive Jackie Autry and Disney (with a few exceptions and extenuating circumstances) for refusing to....

1. Disney won a World Series

2. 1986 was 1,000 times more painful than this year

3. Autry bought plenty of players

4. George Steinbrenner says hello 

3 hours ago, Lou said:

1. Disney won a World Series

2. 1986 was 1,000 times more painful than this year

3. Autry bought plenty of players

4. George Steinbrenner says hello 

1. I specifically said “early Disney” in my first post....Stoney got them to open the wallet late and it paid off....

2.  Different perspective, I guess.....it hurt but damn man, at least we were there....5th place sucks...

3.  True....he spent unwisely at times....

4.  They both spent unwisely at times....

Remember "Autry emptied his saddlebags" for Baylor Rudy, and Grich in 1977.

The Angels focus in the Autry days was to " Win one for the cowboy, which meant trading the best prospects and ignoring the future to" win now" before Autry passed on.

The philosophy did not work

I fear Moreno has the same philosophy.

15 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

The positives....

1. Higher draft picks. 

2. More desperation from Arte to build a winner, which means more money spent. 

3. Our farm is having a great year, so lots of prospects on the horizon. 

4. Earlier nights for many of us who turn the game off after the 6th inning when we're down by five runs. 

#4:  Unless we turn on another game to watch out of desperation and get our hopes dashed multiple times in one day.  

#1:  Eppler has been positioning Scotty, you of all of us know that.  He tossed some reasonable dice this year- could have worked out- but next year looks better for sure.  It can’t be all about Trout but he’s got some choices and I’m excited to see what he does.  I hope Arte gives him another 3 years to make them.

#5:  Wherez Kate Upton?

9 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

There are a lot of youngsters on AW that have not lived through the real pain of being an Angels fan.

Thanks for compliment "Youngsters".  But I'm 40 years young.  I must have blocked those years out.  Been a fan since 86.?

1 hour ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

The Angels focus in the Autry days was to " Win one for the cowboy, which meant trading the best prospects and ignoring the future to" win now" before Autry passed on.

For no apparent reason.  

Out of curiosity, because it was before my time, but were there any guys we traded off who became good players somewhere else back then?

It was before my time, but wasn't Grich one of the better players in franchise history? 124 OPS+ as an Angel, 35 WAR in 10 seasons...that seems pretty good to me

21 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

It was before my time, but wasn't Grich one of the better players in franchise history? 124 OPS+ as an Angel, 35 WAR in 10 seasons...that seems pretty good to me

He was.....And Baylor won an MVP.....You can quibble with some of what Autry did but signing those two guys the first year of the Free Agent era (1977) was wise...