• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trades for 2019/2020

If the Angels end up out of the race, they have nothing to sell and should be making trades with an eye towards 2019/2020.  Here's are some guys worth spending "prospect currency" on:

J.T. Realmuto: Eppler has done a great job of rebuilding the farm from the barren wasteland that was left after Dipoto's departure but, with Ward moving to 3B and Thaiss immediately moving to 1B after being drafted, the one position we are lacking in impact talent is in catching.  Realmuto would be an immediate impact player, is defensively solid for a significant position that requires it, and is not a free agent until 2021.  

Brad Hand: Hand has put up great numbers over the last three seasons in the Padres bullpen and seems to only be getting better.  He's still young at 28, is not a free agent until 2021 and will be able to anchor your BP staff.

Whit Merrifield: Depending on how close the Angels feel Fletcher or Renfigo are to contributing, they may want to look at Merrifield as a potential lead-off option.  Primarily a 2B, Merrifield has also played in the OF when required. possesses a .360 OBP, is 16/20 in stolen bases, and is not a free agent until 2023.

Jacob DeGrom: An ace on a bad team who has been durable the past few seasons and is not a free agent until 2021.  It's going to cost you but you are getting someone in their prime who will anchor a staff with Skaggs, Heaney, Ohtani, Barria and Canning in the mix for 2019 and 2020.

Raisel Iglesias:  See Brad Hand except you get one more year before he hits free agency.  The Reds have so many holes that it's likely a match in prospects could be found.

Merrifield would be an awesome addition I think. A lot of versatility and tools that translate across many needs. 

Curious to see what happens with Maldonado - he's one of my favorite Angels and is an absolute force behind the plate defensively and even more so, intangibles. The org seems to put a ton of faith into him, and he delivers. That said, he's on the wrong side of 30, and it seems like his defense has declined slightly - but a decline nonetheless. With his age, how much do you commit? 

I feel like Hand, and probably Iglesias, are going to cost a fortune as their names are some of those most bandied about - a guy like Ryan Tepera or Drew Streckenrider or Mychal Givens may be a little cheaper to nab - a little less upside, but effective and controllable nonetheless, which is all you can hope for with relievers being so volatile.

I think if they were to trade for a long-term asset, something in rotation is as good a bet as the bullpen. I've mentioned Urena a few times, but DeGrom could be an option too, as could Dylan Bundy, Jake Junis, Sean Manaea, Sanchez or Stroman, perhaps even someone as unexpected as Bumgarner or Taillon (they'd cost a fortune though)

I would like to think that we're fine with Maldanado. He is a gold glove catcher who is one of the better hitting catchers. If we're going to spend prospect currency, we should definitely focus on more pressing needs than another catcher.

I would love to see a trade for Iglesias and/or Hand. Both those guys would go a long way in solidifying our pen for years to come.

I like the idea of Merrifield, however, I still also love the idea of Cesar Hernandez. Cesar is a switch hitter and may be more expendable as well considering the Phillies will eventually have to make room for Kingery. Either way, I think trading for an actual leadoff hitter is a good idea. 

Degrom would likely clear out our farm, especially considering the Mets are reportedly asking for A LOT in return.

The Angels have so many holes and a limited amount of prospect currency we are willing to spend. I think we can really only trade for pitching OR hitting. Whichever we don't trade for, we would need to focus on during the offseason. For example, maybe we trade for Hand and/or Iglesias now and then sign a hitter like DJ Lemahieu during the offseason. Maybe we go get Machado (fingers crossed)

1 minute ago, artesmustache said:

The Angels arent catching the Astros this year or next year so unloading the few high-ceiling prospects they have is dangerous. This team is stuck in mediocrity the way roster is currently built.

Reload by trading Trout and Simmons. You're welcome.

Haha...what?

9 minutes ago, jasonarita51 said:

I would like to think that we're fine with Maldanado. He is a gold glove catcher who is one of the better hitting catchers. If we're going to spend prospect currency, we should definitely focus on more pressing needs than another catcher.

I would love to see a trade for Iglesias and/or Hand. Both those guys would go a long way in solidifying our pen for years to come.

I like the idea of Merrifield, however, I still also love the idea of Cesar Hernandez. Cesar is a switch hitter and may be more expendable as well considering the Phillies will eventually have to make room for Kingery. Either way, I think trading for an actual leadoff hitter is a good idea. 

Degrom would likely clear out our farm, especially considering the Mets are reportedly asking for A LOT in return.

The Angels have so many holes and a limited amount of prospect currency we are willing to spend. I think we can really only trade for pitching OR hitting. Whichever we don't trade for, we would need to focus on during the offseason. For example, maybe we trade for Hand and/or Iglesias now and then sign a hitter like DJ Lemahieu during the offseason. Maybe we go get Machado (fingers crossed)

Hernandez would a great addition as well but, with the Phillies still in the playoff hunt, it be a offseason transaction...which is fine.  He'd be around for 2019 and 2020 so you'd definitely would invest in that move.

When it comes to trading for a controllable SP, I don't think they necessarily need to trade for a staff ace, just someone who can significantly raise the floor of the middle or back of rotation, and that's why I like Urena or Junis. They won't cost as much as an Archer or DeGrom but they push some fringe SPs into bullpen depth, and still come with some upside. We lean on the ascendance of Skaggs and Heaney to fill the gap we have at the top of rotation. 

And I brought it up in the surprise seller thread, but I'm still curious as to what we'd receive if we dangled Skaggs or Heaney in front of the Yanks or Simmons in front of the Padres. Some legitimately insane prospect talent could be added for '19 and '20 to add to the immediate wave of Ward, Thaiss, Fletcher, Rengifo, Suarez, and Canning and the fast-approaching wave of Adell, Marsh, and Jones.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

When it comes to trading for a controllable SP, I don't think they necessarily need to trade for a staff ace, just someone who can significantly raise the floor of the middle or back of rotation, and that's why I like Urena or Junis. They won't cost as much as an Archer or DeGrom but they push some fringe SPs into bullpen depth, and still come with some upside. We lean on the ascendance of Skaggs and Heaney to fill the gap we have at the top of rotation. 

And I brought it up in the surprise seller thread, but I'm still curious as to what we'd receive if we dangled Skaggs or Heaney in front of the Yanks or Simmons in front of the Padres. Some legitimately insane prospect talent could be added for '19 and '20 to add to the immediate wave of Ward, Thaiss, Fletcher, Rengifo, Suarez, and Canning and the fast-approaching wave of Adell, Marsh, and Jones.

I think with Simmons, though, you have the best defensive SS in the league who is just coming into his own offensively.  While we would likely get a nice haul of potentials, we got the goods at SS already and I feel he, like Trout, is young that he's a cornerstone you build a champion around.  With Canning, Suarez, and Barria here or on the horizon, trading one of Skaggs or Heaney wouldn't be too painful if we got a solid SP prospect in return.

54 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I think with Simmons, though, you have the best defensive SS in the league who is just coming into his own offensively.  While we would likely get a nice haul of potentials, we got the goods at SS already and I feel he, like Trout, is young that he's a cornerstone you build a champion around.  With Canning, Suarez, and Barria here or on the horizon, trading one of Skaggs or Heaney wouldn't be too painful if we got a solid SP prospect in return.

By all means, I don't disagree - Simmons is legitimately the best defensive player I have ever seen and he's already up there with Salmon and Trout as one of my favorite all-time Angels. He supersedes what a SS does - he controls the entire infield and elevates the entire team's defensive awareness. His youth and leadership absolutely command the narrative of building the team around him.

I would have to be absolutely and completely overwhelmed to trade him, but I'm also aware that with Machado being one of the most enviable talents available at a trade deadline, you'll have a handful of suitors ready to spend for a SS with a high price already in mind, and you have a player who could be offered that's still under contract unlike Manny, and you have one steady MLB SS already on the roster under contract in Cozart and two prospects arguably ready or nearly ready to play SS in Fletcher and Rengifo. None of those three are even in the stratosphere of what Simmons brings, but they also aren't bad options. If Simmons landed you two of the Padres top pitching prospects and an everyday option like Jankowski for RF, or Hand for the pen, or another IF like Asuaje you'd be adding quite a lot of firepower to the pitching staff, as well as depth among position player prospects to deal for other needs.

I see it sort of like when I clamored to deal Kole (and Richards) two years ago, I see it more as this is the time where those players will be at peak trade value - if we were to trade them, this may be the window to get maximum return.

I certainly will not complain if Simmons is here for years to come though!

If we are not intending to make a legit all in run in the next 2-3 years, there is no reason to trade from anyone of significance. 
Realmuto would gut the farm, gut it.  as would almost anyone else on that list save for Merrifield.  These are simply not trades you make when you are in build mode. 
If you are making a run, with our roster, right now, anything discussed before setup guys and a legit closer is equally pointless.  Fix the biggest problem first, then look at luxuries 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

If we are not intending to make a legit all in run in the next 2-3 years, there is no reason to trade from anyone of significance. 
Realmuto would gut the farm, gut it.  as would almost anyone else on that list save for Merrifield.  These are simply not trades you make when you are in build mode. 
If you are making a run, with our roster, right now, anything discussed before setup guys and a legit closer is equally pointless.  Fix the biggest problem first, then look at luxuries 

What ? I thought you wanted the Angels to acquire guys ? 

These are the types of players worthy of trading our more premium prospects.  These types of players will legitimately impact the team. 

Of course, any moves like this are very unlikely imo. 

2 hours ago, artesmustache said:

The Angels arent catching the Astros this year or next year so unloading the few high-ceiling prospects they have is dangerous. This team is stuck in mediocrity the way roster is currently built.

Reload by trading Trout and Simmons. You're welcome.

Trout has a No Trade clause, so good luck getting the pieces back from any team for which he waives the clause.  Might as well say he is untradeable.

29 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

What ? I thought you wanted the Angels to acquire guys ? 

These are the types of players worthy of trading our more premium prospects.  These types of players will legitimately impact the team. 

Of course, any moves like this are very unlikely imo. 

i do, if they intend to actually make a run, but not if we don't actually address the problem areas.   Any discussion of trades that dont involve good setup guys and a closer is not worth it in my opinion.  Anything else is a secondary concern or pure luxury.

Realmuto, DeGrom... as usual people are talking about guys that in my opinion either are not a need or should be secondary to those who are.  Why gut the farm of the chips we have for guys that dont address the problem?  Realmuto is going to cost most of out top 10 thats worth a damn, how do we fill the other holes?   DeGrom ,whats the point so he can lose 3-2 in the 9th on a blown save like the rest of our starters?  

Hand i like, LH closers tend to do much better than righties it seems and hes got a great K/9 ratio, as does Iglesias, but i dont see either of those guy getting traded without it costing, a lot.   Id love to look more at the setup/secondary guys that can be had for less, maybe just get one name for the cherry on top at the back, but one guy doesnt solve our issues. 

fix the pen first, period, then talk about literally anything else

3 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

Brad Hand: Hand has put up great numbers over the last three seasons in the Padres bullpen and seems to only be getting better.  He's still young at 28, is not a free agent until 2021 and will be able to anchor your BP staff.

Fun fact: Hand has a negative WAR so far this season.  (I don't get it, either...)

As solid as Realmuto's bat is, Machete is no slouch there (post-2017 ASB notwithstanding).   Realmuto may cost a lot, as his OPS has soared to .916 in 2018, albeit his previous 2 seasons produced a solid enough OPS.   I'd just assume give Machete a new deal.   30 is not ancient.   Bob Boone's years here were his age 34-39 seasons. 

DeGrom will cost a fortune in prospects, plus the Halos have their own really good pitchers coming along.   Could they use a true ace, which DeGrom would be?   Sure, but at what cost?

Merrifield would be a solid leadoff option at 2B.   But Fletcher has that potential too.   He stole 53 bases in 3 seasons in the minors, and of course has blossomed at the plate.   Plus, Merrifield doesn't cost the Royals much in salary anyway, having 4.5 seasons of club control.   No real incentive to trade him

Most likely acquisition on the OP's list would be either Hand or Iglesias, filling a position with the biggest current need of closer.   Both have the all important club control for multiple seasons.   Who knows how many extra wins either can bring, especially in those close games where no one on this current team and in the upper minors can truly be trusted with the 9th inning other than maybe sometimes Parker.    Either trade for one of them, or wait for the off-season and sign Herrera?

Floplag--

Realmuto would cost the Angels most of the Angels top 10 prospects? Hey why don't you say that Realmuto would certainly cost the Angels all that PLUS Trout, then you can REALLY REALLY say it would be a bad idea.

Just an idea to help you drive your ideas. . .

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Floplag--

Realmuto would cost the Angels most of the Angels top 10 prospects? Hey why don't you say that Realmuto would certainly cost the Angels all that PLUS Trout, then you can REALLY REALLY say it would be a bad idea.

Just an idea to help you drive your ideas. . .

save your condescension, my ideas are just fine, im sorry if you cant see them but thats a you problem, take the psychobabble elsewhere. 

7 minutes ago, 2020worldseries said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Billy goes after James McCann. He has two years left on his deal after this year and Tigers should be in full rebuild

He's a similar hitter to Machete.   Downside is his CS% has fallen from around 43% in 2015-2016 to 30% since then, while Machete has thrown out around 43% of basestealers since coming here.   Plus McCann would need time to learn the pitchers here.   I'd just assume re-sign Machete.    

deGrom will cost a fortune seeing as how he's in the midst of likely his career year. You can probably snag Dylan Bundy for a much more tolerable offer and get a pitcher with a good chance at developing into something that would fill a void at the top of the rotation.