• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trades for 2019/2020

The team has a definite need for offense and BP help and our depth looks like:

DH - Ohtani/Pujols

C - Maldonado, Rivera, Briceno

1B - Pujols, Thaiss (AAA), Jared Walsh (AA) 

2B - Kinsler, Fletcher, Jose Miguel Fernandez (AAA) Jahmai Jones (A+)

3B - Cozart, Ward (AAA), Houchins (AAA,AA)

SS - Simmons, Rengifo (AA), Roberto Baldoquin (A+, AA)

LF - Upton, Jo Adell (A+)

CF - Trout, Brandon Marsh (A+)

RF - Calhoun, Michael Hermosillo (AAA)

That's not even including "depth" like Jefry Marte, Kaleb Cowart, or Sherman Johnson.

Question becomes who would hurt the least for the most amount of return. 

I think we need to make one of these trades. I no longer advocate a rent player  unless we make a trade for some like DeGrom or Hand, and we all of a sudden turn it around before the the waiver/or non waiver trade deadline. We now need several impact players now to compete. Our team is playing as bad as they possibly can at this point. It is just sad considering how hot we started. We need a big bat or two. An ace starter and an ace bullpen piece. I’d be willing to trade parts of our farm if we got cost controllable pieces. 

With the emergence of Rengifo and Fletcher in the higher minors, it looks like more and more on here are seeing Jones as the biggest trade bait of the prospects currently. 

Walsh has just emerged this season, and thus good time to sell high on him?

Maybe Jones and Walsh, along with one of the minor league pitching prospects not named Canning, Suarez, or Soriano?

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

With the emergence of Rengifo and Fletcher in the higher minors, it looks like more and more on here are seeing Jones as the biggest trade bait of the prospects currently. 

Walsh has just emerged this season, and thus good time to sell high on him?

Maybe Jones and Walsh, along with one of the minor league pitching prospects not named Canning, Suarez, or Soriano?

Not sure Walsh will have that much trade value yet - some teams may not bite without him having music track record. Jones I think certainly can be in play. Suarez too I think could be had in the right deal for pitching, especially if it's a starting pitcher - he's at peak value right now, his stock has never been higher, and even with all his success, his ceiling has moved from a #4-5 to a #3-4. With Heaney and Skaggs beginning to entrench themselves in the rotation, a 3rd lefty could make things a little unbalanced. 

For what it's worth I feel like eventually one of Thaiss or Ward will wind up competing for ABs against each other due to the Pujols/Ohtani/inevitable corner IF FA timeshare, so one of them could be expendable too.

Any thoughts on Domingo Santana? Had a really good year in 2017, then the Brewers made him a 4th OF this year (seems like kinda got screwed on that one). He struggled not playing every day this year, and they just sent him down to AAA about a week ago I think. Could be a really good buy low guy if we’re willing to give him regular ABs.

18 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

The team has a definite need for offense and BP help and our depth looks like:

DH - Ohtani/Pujols

C - Maldonado, Rivera, Briceno

1B - Pujols, Thaiss (AAA), Jared Walsh (AA) 

2B - Kinsler, Fletcher, Jose Miguel Fernandez (AAA) Jahmai Jones (A+)

3B - Cozart, Ward (AAA), Houchins (AAA,AA)

SS - Simmons, Rengifo (AA), Roberto Baldoquin (A+, AA)

LF - Upton, Jo Adell (A+)

CF - Trout, Brandon Marsh (A+)

RF - Calhoun, Michael Hermosillo (AAA)

That's not even including "depth" like Jefry Marte, Kaleb Cowart, or Sherman Johnson.

Question becomes who would hurt the least for the most amount of return. 

My one issue with this list is that i dont see JMF as a 2B.  At SLC he played more 1B to make room for other guys, Flether most notably, i would assume based on that the front office seems the same pecking order.  

Lets be real, our farm while greatly improved in comparison to previous years, is still not in the top 10.  so while it looks vastly upgraded to us, there are still very few guys on that list likely to ever be more than good to average MLers.  Not that thats a bad thing, but we dont have another Trout on the farm right now so lets not get too carried away. 

Most of that list is probably 2-3 years out, the only ones i think are likely viable in '19 are Thaiss and Ward, in addition of course to Fletcher and JMF who are already here.   

The rest look like '20 at the soonest, and Baldoquin isnt likely to ever see the bigs at this point so why bother, lol   Rengifo has already passed him.  

My greatest concern in all of this is Trout, if not for him id say do it, let the kids play, but the front office better be damned sure where he stands on wanting to win and how much patience he has regarding that or we stand to lose the best player on the planet today.   In the past he has said he wants playoff baseball, more recently he has said he likes it in Ana... who knows what the reality is but i wouldnt expect him to ever say anything negative in the press, its just not who he is.   If you go down this road, you better make sure you consider options with him as letting him leave without getting anything back can not be allowed under any conceivable situation, period.  You would never get full value in a trade with him, but you better get something if he intends to walk if we rebuild.  

15 hours ago, Don said:

Any thoughts on Domingo Santana? Had a really good year in 2017, then the Brewers made him a 4th OF this year (seems like kinda got screwed on that one). He struggled not playing every day this year, and they just sent him down to AAA about a week ago I think. Could be a really good buy low guy if we’re willing to give him regular ABs.

He, and/or Brett Phillips, could be realistic returns in a Richards trade to Milwaukee.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 3:52 PM, Angel Oracle said:

He's a similar hitter to Machete.   Downside is his CS% has fallen from around 43% in 2015-2016 to 30% since then, while Machete has thrown out around 43% of basestealers since coming here.   Plus McCann would need time to learn the pitchers here.   I'd just assume re-sign Machete.    

On 6/26/2018 at 3:55 PM, Lou said:

On 6/26/2018 at 3:56 PM, Angel Oracle said:

Maldonado, that's his nickname (Machete).

On 6/26/2018 at 4:16 PM, jsnpritchett said:

Right.  He's poking fun at you for saying, "I'd just assume..." rather than, "I'd just as soon..."

There's use for a machete, but I don't have time to track down AO's grade school instructors.