• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Alpine Question. Opened a bottle of duet I got at the brewery Saturday and there are a lot of big floaties. Figured it was just some sediment but now decide to check the other bottles (5 more duet and 2 Nelson) they all look super chunky. Is this normal? I've never seen it in Alpine beers before.

My brother opened up a bottle of Duet he got this weekend, and he also said it had floaties. This isn't common from them, I have only seen it once in a bottle of Nelson. He did say it didn't taste any different though.

Interesting. None of my current bottled have had this issue. I am sure it is just protein coagulation and not actual hop particles. With the Extreme attention to detail by the Alpine brewers this suprises me. I wonder If it is due to there new "gluten free" brewing process. They may already be brewing with whatever techniques and ingridents they came up with. Not versed in gluton free brewing so I am not sure If that is the case. I would contact the brewery and make then aware of the situation.
Tomorrow will be the kegging of my first beer, Wolf Nugget. I was shooting for a double around 9 % but the beer did irá thing during fermentation and it sits at 10%. It is tasting mighty good and looks great. Hoping the owner will enjoy it so it can be in the tap room opening night.

Edited by James

Anyone purchase Jamaica Blue Mountain Speedway or BA Wee Heavy from Alesmith yesterday?

I'm going down for the release party on the 8th, then onto Alpine. Was considering it but no way I'm taking off work for Expo, and with the huge advance notice/small batch it's going to be a long line anyways.

Hopefully Keene and Expo will still be on tap Saturday.

Anaheim is having another beer festival on March 22nd at the Farmers Park, next to the packing house and the Anaheim Brewery.

$50 gets you unlimited cask pours from 30 different so cal breweries.

DD tickets are $10

www.firkfest.com

Anyone purchase Jamaica Blue Mountain Speedway or BA Wee Heavy from Alesmith yesterday?

I'm going down for the release party on the 8th, then onto Alpine. Was considering it but no way I'm taking off work for Expo, and with the huge advance notice/small batch it's going to be a long line anyways.

Hopefully Keene and Expo will still be on tap Saturday.

I think I'm heading down to JBM release. Can't find anyone to go with me yet. Did you get anything from them?

I highly recommend a stop in Santee for BNS. About 15 minutes from Alpine. I want to make a run out to Julian and hit up Nickel. I plan on hitting Alpine very early so I can be near the front of the line and get out of there asap. Just gets too packed there for these type of events.

On another note. I biofined my double ipa yesterday and it tasted great

Edited by James

I highly recommend a stop in Santee for BNS. About 15 minutes from Alpine. I want to make a run out to Julian and hit up Nickel. I plan on hitting Alpine very early so I can be near the front of the line and get out of there asap. Just gets too packed there for these type of events.

On another note. I biofined my double ipa yesterday and it tasted great

Save some for me.  

Went to Beer Logic with James. Eh, ok.

Did a flight to find a beer and didn't like anythig too much but the saison was up my alley. The Anaheim had a great spicy nose, but taste wise wasn't there...I'd rather have the chipotle stout from Bootleggers. The stout was ok, but really thin.

Drinking some Tap It Oatmeal Stout. I also bought another Firestone Sucaba...it's one of the best "barley wines" I've ever had, and it packs quite a punch. I'm stockpiling it— I have 5 stored away at the moment.

Edited by failos

Alpine messed up the last batches with the temps and something else which caused a terrible yield and floaties. Expo is crazy good this year and is 13%.

As Brandon stated, Bottle Logic is meh to me still. The ipa is solid but not great.

Very happy with my homebrew.

I don't know if you can get it out there but if you can get your hands on some Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout you will be very happy.  I will be hitting up Stone when I am out there the end of March.

Left Hand's beers are fantastic, love their Nitro Milk Stout!  Got to visit their tasting room when I was in Denver for GABF.

Went down to San Diego this weekend and hit up some of my favorite spots as well as some new ones.  Went to BNS on Friday night, it embodied all of the stereotypes of East County, which as somebody who grew up out there, made me laugh.  Beers were pretty solid, but nothing I'd go back for specifically.  Nice to have more craftbeer options in East County, though.

Finally went to Alpine, which I've been reluctant to do so because of all of the hype surrounding it.  Heard they had "Hoppy Birthday" on tap which made me finally decide to visit.  Was pleasantly surprised, had lunch there, couple of beers and got a growler.  The food was really good as of course, the beers were, which I've had before.  First time trying Hoppy Birthday and really liked it!

Went to White Labs for a second time, if you haven't been, I highly recommend it.  They make beers that are same variety, such as IPAs and use different yeast strains which is really cool to taste the differences.  

Also hit up Societe, which is fantastic as always and Toronado.  If you haven't been to either, I'd add them to your list.  Toronado always has an outstanding selection of beers.  Last stop was the Belching Beaver which is within walking distance of Toronado, had a wide variety of styles.  The peanut butter beer was really good, which surprised me.

Edited by epicbeergirl

Went down to San Diego this weekend and hit up some of my favorite spots as well as some new ones.  Went to BNS on Friday night, it embodied all of the stereotypes of East County, which as somebody who grew up out there, made me laugh.  Beers were pretty solid, but nothing I'd go back for specifically.  Nice to have more craftbeer options in East County, though.

Finally went to Alpine, which I've been reluctant to do so because of all of the hype surrounding it.  Heard they had "Hoppy Birthday" on tap which made me finally decide to visit.  Was pleasantly surprised, had lunch there, couple of beers and got a growler.  The food was really good as of course, the beers were, which I've had before.  First time trying Hoppy Birthday and really liked it!

Went to White Labs for a second time, if you haven't been, I highly recommend it.  They make beers that are same variety, such as IPAs and use different yeast strains which is really cool to taste the differences.  

Also hit up Societe, which is fantastic as always and Toronado.  If you haven't been to either, I'd add them to your list.  Toronado always has an outstanding selection of beers.  Last stop was the Belching Beaver which is within walking distance of Toronado, had a wide variety of styles.  The peanut butter beer was really good, which surprised me.

I went to Belching Beaver for the first time a few months ago. All their beers were pretty okay except the peanut butter stout which was very good. I was very surprised by this too because I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter. It's worth a trip just for that.

Taking a Beercation road trip to San Fransisco at the end of the month Friday-Sunday. Mainly going to finally visit The Rare Barrel and pickup my Founders goodies. But might as well make more of a trip out of it.

Planning on visiting these 6 for sure.

Friday:

Drakes

The Rare Barrel

Russian River late after checking into Hotel

Saturday:

Russian River

Lagunitas

SARA

Sunday

Firestone Barrelworks

Not sure where to stay in between SARA and Firestone yet. Don't need anything fancy, lots of expensive options along the coast.

Anyone have any must visits I'm leaving out, any good bottle shops to find goodies I wouldn't get here in San Diego?

Normally I would have people steer clear of Salinas, but that could be a less-expensive option for a hotel, away from the coast. I've stayed here before and it was decent, and close to the 101: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/snscy-courtyard-salinas-monterey/

If you go to Firestone, and if you have time, check out this place right down the road:

http://www.barrelhousebrewing.com/

I've only had a couple of their beers, and they were good. Plus the setting is nice.

I think I'm going to visit the Buellton location for Firestone. Seems like they have more of the sour stuff on tap there.

But if I drive through Paso along the 101 and not take the scenic 1 route I Might stop by there.

Edited by Aaronkv

I'd def recommend the Buellton location for Firestone, since that's where Barrelworks is located and, also in Buellton is Figueroa Mountain Brewing.  They are one of my favorites!

If you hit up any standard Bev Mo, you'll be able to get a lot of beers not available here in So Cal like from 21st Amendment. 

There are so many amazing places in/around SF.  Have fun!!!