• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani should DH the rest of the season

Chuck

So say the doc recommends Ohtani needs TJ surgery, he will miss most of not all of this season and next, which means we won't see him until the 2020 season. 

We all know Ohtani is amazing on the mound, but he's also incredible with the bat and can beat you on the basepaths as well.

I say inject some cells in that elbow (which they have) and let him DH the rest of the season after his 3 weeks are up. If he needs TJ surgery, just get it done in Oct or after our playoff run (yep, suck it haters). 

I mean, if he's going to miss all of 2019, why not let him bat (and not throw) the rest of the way out. 

Hell,  when they reevaluate him in October maybe the UCL will be completely healed like Richards, who also had a grade 2 sprain. 

12 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Completely agree. Although don’t know if His injury hurts him when he swings I imagine it doesn’t but.... get the surgery after the year play him full time DH worry about the pitching after the season. 

He's lucky that he hits left handed, that means his lead hand in his swing is his right hand which should mean he puts less pressure as it tends to be more of his guiding arm in a swing rather than his left side.  I think his opportunity to return as a hitter is more paced by where the Angels are in the playoff hunt after the All Star break.  It's a complete mystery right now, no one knows what will happen.

1 minute ago, tomsred said:

He's lucky that he hits left handed, that means his lead hand in his swing is his right hand which should mean he puts less pressure as it tends to be more of his guiding arm in a swing rather than his left side.  I think his opportunity to return as a hitter is more paced by where the Angels are in the playoff hunt after the All Star break.  It's a complete mystery right now, no one knows what will happen.

I guess the next question is. If he has to get TJ surgery the recovery time for a pitcher is what a year? But when can he go back to swinging a bat after he gets the surgery? 

My guess is the team values him so much they will play it safe and completely shut him down.   It will be a medical decision, for his long term health.   I think they value his ability to be an Ace more than they value his bat.   I prefer his bat because we can see it everyday.   But I’m certainly not going to question a medical decision the team makes, especially if they are error on the side of caution.  

Edited by The Boogie Man

41 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

My guess is the team values him so much they will play it safe and completely shut him down.   It will be a medical decision, for his long term health.   I think they value his ability to be an Ace more than they value his bat.   I prefer his bat because we can see it everyday.   But I’m certainly not going to question a medical decision the team makes, especially if they are error on the side of caution.  

An ace with a risk of his elbow blowing out once again and being shut down for another year or two after a second TJ surgery.

Swell.

10 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

So say the doc recommends Ohtani needs TJ surgery, he will miss most of not all of this season and next, which means we won't see him until the 2020 season. 

We all know Ohtani is amazing on the mound, but he's also incredible with the bat and can beat you on the basepaths as well.

I say inject some cells in that elbow (which they have) and let him DH the rest of the season after his 3 weeks are up. If he needs TJ surgery, just get it done in Oct or after our playoff run (yep, suck it haters). 

I mean, if he's going to miss all of 2019, why not let him bat (and not throw) the rest of the way out. 

Hell,  when they reevaluate him in October maybe the UCL will be completely healed like Richards, who also had a grade 2 sprain. 

I like it! If he needs TJ surgery will he start pitching again or will this be it?

He should never throw a pitch again. He shouldn't even throw, period. He's more valuable hitting every day at DH in our always-challenged offense. Albert can play some first base, take a couple days off each week, then be eased out the door by 2020.

Too valuable a player to miss entire seasons recovering from surgeries. And it could end up being multiple seasons. Who is the guy who's had three TJ's already? Forget his name.

Edited by fan_since79

Keith Olbermann is the guy who was hyperventilating that the Scooter Libby pardon was the gravest constitutional crisis ever facing the Republic. He was melting down on the air during that little blip of an historical footnote. Then he disappeared. I think he was too crazy even for MSNBC.

He was good a long, long time ago as a local sportscaster in L.A. and actually had a sense of humor back then.

2 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

He should never throw a pitch again. He shouldn't even throw, period. He's more valuable hitting every day at DH in our always-challenged offense.

Too valuable a player to miss entire seasons recovering from surgeries. And it could end up being multiple seasons. Who is the guy who's had three TJ's already? Forget his name.

Ok, this isn't Mike Trout.  Ohtani has been spectacular.  However he really hasnt hit that much.  We dont know how successful he will be hitting a full season.  

Two questions need to be answered

1.  Can he hit while taking stem cell therapy without doing more damage to his arm?

2.  If he has TJ surgery how long is it to rehab before he can hit and not do more harm to his arm.?

Best case scenario I'd if he can bat this year, have surgery immediately after the season, and have him back in Time to hit in 2019.   However I dont know if that is realistic.

2 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Keith Olbermann is the guy who was hyperventilating that the Scooter Libby pardon was the gravest constitutional crisis ever facing the Republic. He was melting down on the air during that little blip of an historical footnote. Then he disappeared. I think he was too crazy even for MSNBC.

He was good a long, long time ago as a local sportscaster in L.A. and actually had a sense of humor back then.

I beg to differ.  He socked at sports broadcasting on (I think channel 9)

10 hours ago, tomsred said:

This is the elephant in the room.   Ohtani is unlike any player over the past 100 years.   We truly don't know much about how the injection and his hitting fulltime would mix.

Olbermann's ego is so big, it wouldn't even fit in an airplane hanger.    #$&&#%&* him!  

It comes down to what does this team want to get out of this? Do they want to rush him back to the field as quickly as possible, in any capacity? Or do they want him to be able to return to the mound as soon as possible at full strength?

I have to imagine he'll get TJ because they want him to be a pitcher. However, if there is a scenario where he can DH the rest of the year and not make the injury any worse and then get the surgery the day we're eliminated this season, maybe you do that?

Tough one.