• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

For the LOVE OF GOD

Chuck

31 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You spelled Scot Shields wrong...   Percy was great, but he couldn't do what Shields did.

It's really crazy that for a year or two there we had Percy, K-Rod, Shields, and Donnelly in one bullpen. I know Donnelly was cheating, but still he was Facking dominant for a couple years there

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

4 minutes ago, REDneck said:

Those were the years I learned the importance of a good bullpen.

Why hasn't Eppler learned it??

This is where the blame gets silly though IMO. What did Percival, K-Rod, Shields, and Donnelly all have in common? They were all homegrown players. We signed/drafted them, developed them, hung onto them.

Eppler is like 2.5 years into his tenure as GM. If we still aren't drafting/signing, developing quality relievers by year 4 or 5 I will be right there with you. But let's give the process some time

9 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

This is where the blame gets silly though IMO. What did Percival, K-Rod, Shields, and Donnelly all have in common? They were all homegrown players. We signed/drafted them, developed them, hung onto them.

Eppler is like 2.5 years into his tenure as GM. If we still aren't drafting/signing, developing quality relievers by year 4 or 5 I will be right there with you. But let's give the process some time

They were all failed prospects at their originally drafted spots.  Percy was a catcher.  K-Rod and Shields were both starters that transitioned to the pen, ditto Donkey only he had washed out into indy ball and been resigned by Cinci as a RP.   The problem for Eppler is that he inherited a farm system devoid of pitching prospects to cull into RPs.  Not even trying to cast blame at anyone before Eppler.  The situation just didn't work out and things snowballed.  One of the reasons I think we will see a huge emphasis on pitching this draft (besides it being pitching heavy), is to try to flood the system with more arms in hopes of having some become RPs.   Particularly if they intend to move forward with the whole tandem starter thing in the minors.

11 hours ago, REDneck said:

Those were the years I learned the importance of a good bullpen.

Why hasn't Eppler learned it??

come on, dude. why do you think there's been so much turnover in the bullpen these last three years? i would argue that he's trying desperately to find the right guys at the right price that will make the best combination possible.

there are so many factors that go into constructing a team that you and i won't ever know about. some of those solutions are not easily found.

Yes, his plan didn't succeed - but he may be a victim of his own success. Last year assembled a hodge-podge cast of characters from a bunch of clean peanuts that wildly succeeded expectations. He tried to do the same this year, and it hasn't worked. The in-house guys, in particular, have been duds (Middleton, Bedrosian, Paredes).