• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Garret Richards

nate

Should have had TJ instead of this embarrassing crap he is delivering.

He was never an ace, he had one good season, then turned to some homeopathic bullshit instead of surgery so he could make more money.

Angels should have shut his ass down or cut him.

3 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

This isn’t about the health of his arm, he is throwing 97.  This is about him being mentally weak.  He is that typical #3 that has really good stuff, but can’t harness it.  

He has obviously changed his delivery and mechanics to protect his elbow.  His breaking balls have nothing on them.  That is all about the elbow.

4 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Richards has poor body language on the mound similar to Lackey and Weaver did. The difference is that Lackey and Weaver were able to channel it into a "fuck everyone, I'm coming after you" mentality when they were in their primes. Richards just loses all his confidence when things get tough

And he has better stuff.  

1 hour ago, nate said:

Should have had TJ instead of this embarrassing crap he is delivering.

He was never an ace, he had one good season, then turned to some homeopathic bullshit instead of surgery so he could make more money.

Angels should have shut his ass down or cut him.

Why would someone opt to have surgery if there's a potential better way? I've had 3 surgeries in my life. If someone offered me a way to not have surgery on my hand, shoulder and knee at 35 years old  and do what I did. I'd opt for the non surgical option first and try that! If there was a prp option for my knee I'd 100% try that before the hell I went through. It's not something anyone should just subject themselves to because you think it'll make them back to what they were 

1 hour ago, nate said:

He has obviously changed his delivery and mechanics to protect his elbow.  His breaking balls have nothing on them.  That is all about the elbow.

I just think he isn’t a good pitcher. Maybe he can convert to a closer or something 

I think the problem could be him just being a 2-pitch pitcher now. Don't know if it's fear of hurting himself again but he's stopped throwing his curve. During the 2014 season he had that pitch mixed in with his slider and fastball and it was filthy.

Now he just doesn't throw it that much and just lives of the Fb and Slider, there really good pitches but there are two problems associated with this:

1.  both are hard pitches, 90-98. Hitters Know that it's only hard stuff that's coming so Richards need to live of his command or on that filthy movement of his slider. Buy the problem is that he's not a command pitcher and when is slider hangs it's hit hard.

2. Without his curve, he can change speed to keep the hitters off balance.

He thru one curve today and it was to Gardner and he couldn't even lift his bat. 

He needs to start incorporating that pitch back into his arsenal to both lefties and righties for him to be effective.  

2 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

This isn’t about the health of his arm, he is throwing 97.  This is about him being mentally weak.  He is that typical #3 that has really good stuff, but can’t harness it.  

Could he be protecting his arm like he doesn’t trust it? We all watched Severino last night throw nothing but heat inning after inning without any concerns. Richards has great stuff but he’s either afraid to use it or maybe he’s afraid to get hurt. 

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I think the problem could be him just being a 2-pitch pitcher now. Don't know if it's fear of hurting himself again but he's stopped throwing his curve. During the 2014 season he had that pitch mixed in with his slider and fastball and it was filthy.

Now he just doesn't throw it that much and just lives of the Fb and Slider, there really good pitches but there are two problems associated with this:

1.  both are hard pitches, 90-98. Hitters Know that it's only hard stuff that's coming so Richards need to live of his command or on that filthy movement of his slider. Buy the problem is that he's not a command pitcher and when is slider hangs it's hit hard.

2. Without his curve, he can change speed to keep the hitters off balance.

He thru one curve today and it was to Gardner and he couldn't even lift his bat. 

He needs to start incorporating that pitch back into his arsenal to both lefties and righties for him to be effective.  

Interesting. Something I'll look for. 

1 hour ago, OHTANILAND said:

Could he be protecting his arm like he doesn’t trust it? We all watched Severino last night throw nothing but heat inning after inning without any concerns. Richards has great stuff but he’s either afraid to use it or maybe he’s afraid to get hurt. 

i think it could be both. also the more I look at out pitchers starts, it could be maldo pitch position. just today I've noticed he called a lot of pitches to the corners. 

one thing I've notice from last year, was that pitchers worked better with Juan than Maldo, Juan made people our pitcher attack the hitters while MALDO like to nible on the corners. 

I remembered looking at Noslacos era last year and when Juan was catching his ERA was around 3.7ish with maldo it was in the 6s. I haven't checked with our other starts so maybe it was Just Noslaco than again ive people questio ning Maldo pitch calling....

3 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

Then they need to not re-sign him.

Move on.

its frustrating to watch. Richards obviously has skills he just doesn't seem to put it together. With stuff like his, he should be attacking hitters, not nibbling on the edges. Its like watching CJ again at times, but from a guy with way better stuff. Ohh well sometimes guys just don't pan out.

"Well maybe you should support him more instead of trying to tear him down.  He has feelings like everyone else!"

There is no feeling in MLB.  Either you can do it or you can't.  Dude needs to find his warrior within. Watch some clips of Lackey in his prime. Get mean.  COMPETE!!!!

•  

6 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Then they need to not re-sign him.

Move on.

The way this season is unfolding, I'd say this is very possible, or maybe attempt to resign him to a cheap contract.  Nevertheless, very disappointing to see so far.  He still has time to fix his issues, but he's terrible to watch currently.

Here is something I will say about Richards that I think would help him out.  Throw inside, hit a couple of batters if you have to.  He throws 97 and hitters are up there and they look comfortable.  Own that part of the plate and if you happen to drill someone so be it.  If Judge wants to stand over the plate, back him the fuck off the plate.  I am not saying purposely hit people, I am saying brush people back, make them uncomfortable and do it with the arrogance of that being your plate.  

Oh and @Blarg was right, should have drilled Didi early last night.