• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Amateur Draft Thread

47 minutes ago, taylorblakeward said:

They have same restrictions as players in rounds 11-40 - anything over $125K goes to the team's bonus pool, most of them sign for a ticket to an affilliate 

I just read a piece the other day that said undrafted players who have exhausted all college eligibility are considered regular FAs...   I've always wondered how this works and not sure what the definitive answer is.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

9 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I just read a piece the other day that said undrafted players who have exhausted all college eligibility are considered regular FAs...   I've always wondered how this works and not sure what the definitive answer is.  

I wonder if that is only for those have zero eligibility left then.  Whereas for others, the 11-40 limits apply.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I wonder if that is only for those have zero eligibility left then.  Whereas for others, the 11-40 limits apply.  

I tried to find a more absolute answer and couldnt.   But that's what I'm thinking too.

Edited by Inside Pitch

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I tried to find a more absolute answer and couldnt.   But that's what I'm thinking too.

it would make sense or we'd see team manipulating the system.  like a kid telling everyone that he's going to college yet changes his mind after the draft and decides to go to the highest bidder.  

SB Nation had a pretty funny article on each of the 1st round picks:

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/6/5/17411486/mlb-draft-2018-grades

17. Los Angeles Angels — Jordyn Adams, OF

In 2022, Adams will sneeze into his hands, not into his elbow (the “chicken-wing” mechanics that scouts prefer.) Because of this, his gross, snotty hands will touch a doorknob in the Angels clubhouse, getting infielder David Fletcher sick.

Fletcher, fighting for playing time, will ignore his fever and come to the clubhouse. He’ll get Mike Trout sick before a crucial series against the Astros.

Good move. The Astros will be starting rookie Dandel Orstado, who will have a horrible time controlling his fastball that night. When he chucks a head-high, outside 101-mph fastball to Shohei Ohtani that sails over the catcher’s mitt, the announcers will make the Bob Uecker joke, “Juuuuust a bit outside,” but they won’t really understand what just happened.

It would have been Trout in that right-handed batter’s box.

That ball would have been going right for his helmet.

Because Adams won’t wash his hands before eating, and because he didn’t sneeze like a productive member of society, he’ll be single-handedly responsible for all of the records that Trout eventually sets.

Adams will finish his Angels career with 118 WAR. Eighteen of them will be his, and 100 will be the remainder of Trout’s career that he unknowingly saved.

Great pick.

Certainly the most important pick.

Grade — A+

Eric Longenhagen Prospects Chat

3:37
What are the chances Angels can sign Isaish Campbell and/or Chandler Champlain? Seems like a waste of a pick if they never had a chance of signing them

Eric A Longenhagen
3:39
If you don't have roster spots to fill on your rookie-level affiliates, you can take a flier on someone like that in case something weird happens where they become signable. Don't think it's a waste if nobody else on the board does anything for you

22 hours ago, Dochalo said:

how much can a team pay a UDFA?  

probably no limit is my guess.  makes sense why teams draft a bunch of these guys late in the draft.  

Anatomy of a bonus

Nevada outfielder T.J. Friedl received a $732,500 bonus from the Cincinnati Reds, the largest ever for a free agent after the MLB draft. Here's how that figure was determined:

$30,000 -- Roughly the amount the Reds hadn't spent against their $13,923,700 draft pool allotted by Major League Baseball.
$100,000 -- The amount that MLB allows each team to spend on picks after the 10th round that doesn't count against their overall bonus pool.
$600,000 -- Additional bonus money spend on Friel.
$450,000 -- A 75 percent tax on the $600,000.

Total payout for the Reds to add Friel to their 2016 draft class: $1.18 million

For sake of comparison, the 54th overall slot in this year's draft, held by the Baltimore Orioles, was valued at $1.18 million. The 85th overall slot, held by the San Diego Padres, was valued at $730,400. This provides some frame of reference where Friedl might have gone if clubs had known he was eligible for the 2016 draft.

T.J. Friedl's journey to signing as an undrafted free agent

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17255032/tj-friedl-strange-journey-signing-undrafted-free-agent

06/14/18    

Los Angeles Angels signed RHP Kyle Tyler.

20    Kyle Tyler             R/R    6-0    185    12/27/96        RHP     JR

Los Angeles Angels signed SS Mitch Spires.

28    Mitch Spires             R/R     6-1    195    03/11/96        SS         SR

Los Angeles Angels signed 3B Tim Millard.

35    Tim Millard            R/R    6-0    200    05/29/95        3B        JR

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/transactions/?c_id=ana&year=2009&month=7#month=6&year=2018&team_id=108

4 hours ago, Mark68 said:

SB Nation had a pretty funny article on each of the 1st round picks:

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/6/5/17411486/mlb-draft-2018-grades

17. Los Angeles Angels — Jordyn Adams, OF

In 2022, Adams will sneeze into his hands, not into his elbow (the “chicken-wing” mechanics that scouts prefer.) Because of this, his gross, snotty hands will touch a doorknob in the Angels clubhouse, getting infielder David Fletcher sick.

Fletcher, fighting for playing time, will ignore his fever and come to the clubhouse. He’ll get Mike Trout sick before a crucial series against the Astros.

Good move. The Astros will be starting rookie Dandel Orstado, who will have a horrible time controlling his fastball that night. When he chucks a head-high, outside 101-mph fastball to Shohei Ohtani that sails over the catcher’s mitt, the announcers will make the Bob Uecker joke, “Juuuuust a bit outside,” but they won’t really understand what just happened.

It would have been Trout in that right-handed batter’s box.

That ball would have been going right for his helmet.

Because Adams won’t wash his hands before eating, and because he didn’t sneeze like a productive member of society, he’ll be single-handedly responsible for all of the records that Trout eventually sets.

Adams will finish his Angels career with 118 WAR. Eighteen of them will be his, and 100 will be the remainder of Trout’s career that he unknowingly saved.

Great pick.

Certainly the most important pick.

Grade — A+

I heard that another key ally was an UDFA named Smitty Werben Man Jensen.   (Krabs will get it.)

MLB draft created whirlwind for Green Hope's Jordyn Adams

"Adams departs for Los Angeles on Sunday, less than a week after graduating from high school. He’ll report for physicals on Monday, then attend an Angels’ home game on Tuesday before departing for Arizona on Wednesday, where he will begin his stint in Minor League Baseball."

https://www.highschoolot.com/mlb-draft-created-whirlwind-for-green-hope-s-jordyn-adams/17628626/

1 hour ago, John Smith said:

Jared Tims @Jared_Tims

Jared Tims Retweeted NAIA Ball

The #Angels signed the NAIA player of the year, his numbers aren’t too bad.

Jared Tims added,

NAIA Ball @NAIABall
NOT DRAFTED: 2018 NAIA Player of the Year: Texas Wesleyan OF Kiki Menendez: .466 avg, 66 R, 23 2B, 26 HR, 84 RBI, & 10 SB…

that's some video game stuff.  or barry bonds.  OPS over 1.500.  you've got to watch this video.  it's almost funny

1 hour ago, John Smith said:
30 901 -- 108.svg Higgins, Connor Arizona State (AZ) P R/L 4YR JR -- 6' 5 240lbs DOB: 07/21/96

Officially a member of @Angels organization could not be more blessed can’t wait to get this journey started!

DfwO6_eUcAAxhnV.jpg
0 replies5 retweets4 likes

If I were drafted after the 20th round, my number one goal would be to leave with as much team swag as possible. Like, I'd never want to buy another pair of athletic shorts, workout shirts, or ball caps again.