• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angel Prospects you're the most excited about

Cdaniel

12 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Mart Thaiss is my pick ... not sexy but a solid all around player. Good chance to be the future 1B. 

Didn't know the Kotchman family had a Troll in their midst. 

Jokes aside, I want to be excited about Ward, we have so many prospects that are gaining prominence that it would be fantastic to have one that was seemingly becoming irrelevant take a leap due to a move we all thought was for the worse. 

12 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

That's because he's beginning his third year in a row in instructional league/Rookie ball. Not good. He's the new Chevy Clarke.

maybe.  they're basically trying to rebuild him though. Bear in mind he was a switch hitter and they converted him to RHed only.  And he's still only 19.  He's probably been hitting LHed vs righties since he was knee high.  Hence the .499 ops vs. rhers and the .783 ops vs. lefties last year.  Imagine seeing a pro breaking ball move in the complete opposite direction for the first time.  

Not saying he's gonna be the next best prospect, but there are obvious reasons for his struggles that have nothing to do with why Chevy struggled.  

It could be 2-3 years before we see anything good from Nonie.  Maybe it's age 21/22 in burlington.  

Marsh for me.  I think he's going to be a Freddie Freeman type hitter with excellent RF defense and better speed.  

Canning is next.  totally underrated him.  Didn't like he pick at all.  He's got top of the rotation stuff.  

The most exciting thing for me is the entire system overall.  Not only do we have some guys in the top 100, but there is a whole mess of guys in the low minors that we don't even know much about who have high upside and could be stars.  

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Marsh for me.  I think he's going to be a Freddie Freeman type hitter with excellent RF defense and better speed.  

Canning is next.  totally underrated him.  Didn't like he pick at all.  He's got top of the rotation stuff.  

The most exciting thing for me is the entire system overall.  Not only do we have some guys in the top 100, but there is a whole mess of guys in the low minors that we don't even know much about who have high upside and could be stars.  

Ditto on Marsh...

I know we both specifically pointed at Marsh as the guy we thought might surprise people the most -- lots of physical tools there...   And while I shied away from ranking guys for our top 30 that had not played a game, I made an exception for Canning due to his track record at UCLA...  The uptick in velocity has IMO made him a lot more interesting.

The guy I want to most see play is kid from the Bahamas.   Lots of glowing reviews but.. havent seen him.

9 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Marsh and Leo Rivas. I see Marsh as our future RF that can rake and Leo Rivas as a Cesar Hernandez type leadoff hitter

Thoughts on a Luis Castillo comp for Rivas? In his prime he hit about .295/360/.370. He didn't strike out much and I remember how annoying he was to face when the Angels played him. He was a tough out and sprayed the ball all over the field but had very limited power. 

His numbers aren't great compared to the league at the time, but if Rivas could put up similar numbers then he'd be a league average or above hitter.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

This thread is the best indication of how much things have changed.   There is no consensus.....  Three years ago everyone and their brother would have said Newcomb.

And while Newcomb has a decent ERA (3.74) and Ks (27 in 21.1 innings), he still walks far too many batters (11 in 21.1 innings leading to a 1.52 WHIP).

Did someone mention Matt Thaiss? 

On June 9, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Mark68 said:

With the #16 pick, Eppler & Co choose C Matt Thaiss, Virginia

On June 9, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Another catcher?

On June 9, 2016 at 5:48 PM, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

BWHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

On June 9, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Oz27 said:

You are fucking kidding me.

On June 9, 2016 at 5:48 PM, hangin n wangin said:

LMAO!!!

On June 9, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Frieri Meatball said:

Unbelievable...

On June 9, 2016 at 5:48 PM, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

This Front Office HATES THE FAN BASE!!!!!!!!!

On June 9, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Fuck these Fucking Losers.

On June 9, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Corona said:

LOL what the hell is wrong with this team. Reach for a catcher 2 years in a row. 

On June 9, 2016 at 5:50 PM, BaseballMom said:

Typical...they are all trying to validate the choice in some way.

On June 9, 2016 at 5:50 PM, bloodbrother said:

Must be cheap to sign so that's what the Angels love

On June 9, 2016 at 5:51 PM, Mark68 said:

He'll be a DH. We have someone who'll be a DH: Pujols.

On June 9, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Scotty@AW said:

I'm watching the scouting videos, reading reports and I'm just not seeing it.  There's serious question as to whether he'll hit against higher competition, let alone hit for power.  His defense won't survive a year under a Sciascia-run system.  It doesn't look like he has the athleticism to hit 3B or corner OF.  So in essence, we drafted a collegiate 1B with a questionable bat.  There's upside, but not a huge amount.  

Cron?

i agree

Any requests? 

On June 9, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Jason said:

Can we bump this thread when he turns out to be awesome?

if you insist 

Edited by Lou

21 minutes ago, Lou said:

Did someone mention Matt Thaiss? 

i agree

Any requests? 

if you insist 

Are you congratulating me because basically I hit the nail inn the head @Lou or do you not read the scouting reports? 

I'm not eating crow if I'm right. That's not the way the game works.

27 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Are you congratulating me because basically I hit the nail inn the head @Lou or do you not read the scouting reports? 

I'm not eating crow if I'm right. That's not the way the game works.

My bad, quoted the wrong post. But while we're at it. 

1. He's batting.289 in AA

2. He had 40 extra base hits in 2017 and already has 7 in 19 games this year. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Lou

On 4/25/2018 at 7:43 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

FWIW, today I heard from a scout who had recently seen Burlington and he loved Marsh. Said he’s more polished and closer than Adell. Adell has the tools but needs more work. 

Good to hear this, and that has been my sense of it. I see Marsh moving ahead of Adell at some point this season or next, and being in Anaheim sometime in 2020, whereas Adell I see 2021.

20 hours ago, Scott34 said:

Leonardo Rivas and it's not particularly close. Dude is gonna be a legit lead off guy. On base 40% of the time, good glove, stealing bases. 

Good to see you around these parts, Scott - been awhile.

23 minutes ago, Lou said:

My bad, quoted the wrong post. But while we're at it. 

1. He's batting.289 in AA

2. He had 40 extra base hits in 2017 and already has 7 in 19 games this year. 

image.jpeg

Yeah after he changed his swing and stance we've seen a slight shift in his game. Still squares up balls exceedingly hard, and now there's more lift. But there's also more swing and miss now, which works fine because of his higher walk rate.

Count me in on Marsh. Since he was drafted I had a feeling about him. At least he's the guy that I'm most paying attention to.

Trent Deveaux is moving up the ranks for me - I'm really curious to see how he develops as I love Kenny Lofton/Tim Raines types.

Leo Rivas is one of my favorites, for reasons Scott34 pointed out. I love high walk players.

Among pitchers, Canning is the one I'm most excited about.

But I'll echo Doc: I'm just excited about the entire farm system. So many interesting prospects, from instructional to AAA, from Cole Duensing to Jabari Blash.

34 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Count me in on Marsh. Since he was drafted I had a feeling about him. At least he's the guy that I'm most paying attention to.

Same here. I was even impressed with his football vids.

34 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Among pitchers, Canning is the one I'm most excited about.

#obvious

Our last three first round picks, Taylor Ward, Matt Thaiss and Jo Adell. Our last three second round picks, Jahmai Jones, Brandon Marsh and Griffin Canning. 

Shoot, even Gatto is a second rounder froma few years back. 

The second round has been good to this organization recently. Grichuk, Trout, Skaggs, Richards and Corbin were all in that general vicinity too.

I honestly don't get why anyone is excited about Thaiss. I think he'll turn into a decent major leaguer, but at this point he looks like a poor man's Brandon Belt: maybe .270/.350/.420...that's nice at the other infield spots or really nice at catcher, but as a starting 1B? At this point I'm more excited about Taylor Ward, who might be similarly good with the bat but at 3B and with the C back-up skill.