• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018-2019 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

20 minutes ago, Tank said:

former duck Etem is going to camp with the Kings. If he makes the team he's likely to end up in Ontario, at least to start.

I had high hopes for Etem.  He was fast when he started with the Ducks.  But he was like Ritchie.  High hopes and just didn't work out.  I don't know the other Duckies could comment.  But IMO,  Etem was a lot like Cogs.  Speed like crazy.  But stone hands.  

Etem had one move, that was the problem, always tried to bank it off the right side boards and then skate around the defender.

It never worked, but that didn't stop him from trying it every time he got the puck entering the offensive zone.

1 hour ago, nate said:

Etem had one move, that was the problem, always tried to bank it off the right side boards and then skate around the defender.

It never worked, but that didn't stop him from trying it every time he got the puck entering the offensive zone.

This. Etem also failed to adjust, he could have tried to become a forchecker with his speed + size & also park it at the net to get some deflection goals & rebounds.

23 hours ago, gotbeer said:

For other teams he's a buy low candidate, so i'd say use that to sign him to a cheap contract, at worst its not really a sunk cost at all & at best he finally produces to tune of 35 to 40 points (20 goals/15 to 20 assists). If he finally turns into something decent of a scoring threat, imagine someday having a Troll line with Ritchie & Jones on the wings being centered by Kesler.

2 hours ago, nate said:

Patches to Vegas and a 4 year extension with 7m AAV.  Can see now how the Ducks just couldn't have managed to pay him.

For Vegas.  The net was only $2.2 million when you factor in Tatar's difference.  Granted the back 2 years will be full value.  But if you factored in say Perry, it wouldn't have been that big of a hit on us.  Although I still think we should go for Stone/Ryan than Max.  Max would have been nice though.  

But more importantly for the Ducks, Silfverberg and probably Ritchie is just going to be too expensive for what he brings to the table for us.  Silf's probably going to look for $5+ a season, and he's just not worth that much.  Ritchie is probably holding out for $2+ million, and he's only worth $1.  

Holy Crap.  Vegas has a huge advantage over most of the West.  Except for I think Arizona.  When you look at 4/$7, you would think that the Kings would have come to term.  But if you include taxes, no way would the Kings have been able to afford him.

It is sounding definitely that the Senators will be selling big time.  And they are going to go young.  So is this a possible three way trade?

To Toronto:  Corey Perry.  Toronto has the cap space.  He still can score.  And for the Ducks, he's out of the West.  Plus I'd think that Perry would waive his NMC for Toronto.  

To Ottawa from Toronto:  4th round pick (they have 2).  Some second tier prospects that are in the Ducks situation.

To Ottawa from Ducks:  Ritchie, Silfverberg, 2020 4th conditional to 3rd if extension reached.  2nd tier prospect like Roy, Blandisi, etc.

To Ducks:  Stone and Ryan + $2 million a season for Ryan.  

For Ottawa, they get Ryan off.  They get 2 picks, and a bunch of prospects.  Ritchie is still only 22.  And Silfverberg, they can keep or can flip for more picks.  The other benefit is it will also free Ottawa to not have to include Ryan in a trade of Karlsson, which should increase the value they get considerably.  

For the Leafs, they get another scorer giving up very little, and would help give Kadri someone that can score.  

For the Ducks, with the addition of Stone and Ryan that really doesn't give much room for the likes of Roy on the roster.  Right now, Steel and Terry seem to be much higher up the charts.  So while I like him, Roy would get a start in Ottawa.  Ryan at $5.2 million is much more digestable than at $7.2 million.  Ryan can find the touch with Getz again.  Or he can fit with Rico and Kase and not take the dumb penalties like Ritchie.  Plus Ryan vs 3rd liners hopefully means better matchups and more production.  Stone gives a big punch to the second line, and doesn't make the line lose any defensive prowess.  

1 hour ago, nate said:

I really doubt anyone would take Perry unless the Ducks included a 1st with him.

I think people would take him.  People just won't give up much to acquire him.  4th and a non top prospect should be about right.  And as bad as he is, he still scored 49 points last season.  

33 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Ducks might as well write this season off & focus on 2019-2020. Let the rookies save themselves from gaining 1 year of that 2 year pro status that goes towards ending their exemption in the next expansion draft.

AHL is considered pro.  That's why I said the Ducks might get screwed if the draft moves a year further.

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

AHL is considered pro.  That's why I said the Ducks might get screwed if the draft moves a year further.

I think they'll still be fine, Perry, Getzlaf are UFAs. Kesler 1 year left probably gets bought out. The tricky part will again be protecting all those D-men & getting Seattle to take a forward instead but may end up having them take Larsson to avoid picking Montour or Mahura. The Ducks group of forwards will be deep by then despite the decline of Getzlaf, that with that many of them they won't need to worry about protecting them as Seattle would likely still have its eye on Montour who probably develops into a top pairing quality RHD by then.

By then will the Ducks be rolling out a super balanced D pairings getting balanced ice time ? Lindholm/Montour, Fowler/Manson, Mahura/Larsson if done right would have each pairing with a quality offensive weapon. I know Larsson is a LHD but if he could play on the right that 3rd pair is best 3rd pair in the league. At that point we'd be fine if Seattle picks Larsson in exchange we send them a pick to not pick Mahura or Montour.

Another trick will be to wait until after the expansion lottery to sign a FA Getzlaf to a 1 or 2 year deal as the teams 2nd or 3rd line center by then.

So, does anyone think Wilson was good enough to use some lube on Dorian while fleecing him for Karlsson.  Pacific continues to get better and better and the Ducks continue to do jack shit.  LoLz at Nick Ritchie probably holding out. 

The Ducks are throughly outclassed on paper.  And probably will be on the ice.  They need to get rid of Perry and Kesler.  We need to be rebuilding.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

So, does anyone think Wilson was good enough to use some lube on Dorian while fleecing him for Karlsson.  Pacific continues to get better and better and the Ducks continue to do jack shit.  LoLz at Nick Ritchie probably holding out. 

The Ducks are throughly outclassed on paper.  And probably will be on the ice.  They need to get rid Perry and Kesler.  We need to be rebuilding.  

After the initial damn it shock wore off.  It actually could work out for the Sens.  The big issue I have with the Karlsson deal is that Gaborik or Ryan wasn't included.  Maybe they need it for the cap floor?  But Tierny is a former second round pick, riser that scored 40 points, and is under control for 4 or 5 3 more years.  Demelo is a wash with Perron.  Norris is a #19 pick, still 19 and in college.  And Balcers is 21 and first season in the AHL had 48 points in 67 games.  And they get a first and a second round pick.  

If Karlsson signs with the Sharks, then the Senators get an additional second (or first if they make the cup finals).  

So the Sens pretty much got a 40 point young scorer that has upside, a first, 2 seconds, and 2 prospects.  Which isn't a bad haul for a rental that they probably didn't have a chance of re-signing.  I think the equivalent for the Ducks would have been Kase, Ritchie, a first, 2 seconds, Jones, and Kopacka.  

* edit.  Actualy looking at Tierny, he is 24, so only 3 more years of control.  

Edited by gotbeer

:)What will the Sharks look like after the next expansion draft ?

At next expansion draft Pavelski will be 38, Burns 37, Vlasic 35, Kane 31, Karlsson 32, Jones 32, Couture 33, Hertl 28 & if they bring back Thornton on a selanne type contract: age 43. Their farm system should now move to 23rd or 25th in the league & their drafting history suggests alot of their guys wouldn't have panned out anyways so its not as bad of a loss for them as the Sharks strength has always been in strong arming in trades, mugging other GMs. They didn't draft Heed, their young D-man is a former Ducks prospect.

:)The Ducks will strike back by then as these guys will still be under 30: Gibson, Kase, Rakell, Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Montour, Ritchie, Steel, Comtois, Terry, Mahura, Lundestrom, Roy, Morand, McLaughlin, Jones, Larsson & there is a few other prospects i can't remember the name of. Given the teams drafting history most of the prospects have very good chances. If they reach their floor & some reach near their ceiling we could be looking at the 2021-22 Center depth chart as Steel/Lundestrom/Getzlaf/Morand with Getzlaf signing a 2 year deal after the expansion draft. Perry will be a UFA by then & Kesler most likely bought out.

The sharks are going for it now.  At least their fans can know they did that if they don’t win.  Bob Murray completely fu*cked up the Ducks window.  It’s not even debatable.  

2 of those guys you mentioned are top 100 prospects.  Terry and Steel.  The Ducks short to mid term situation is not good relative to the rest of the conference. 

Basically, we have to hope the defensive unit take a huge step forward and that Gibson continues being an elite goalie.  Up front, the Ducks are probably not going to be very good.  The reality is that our best center is going to be 34 and our 2nd line center may well not be able to play at a level that is acceptable for 2nd line center.  We have 1 star winger (Rakell) 1 good one (Henrique) and young players we have to hope take steps forward.   Or, in Kase’s case maintain.  I have almost no faith in Ritchie.  Silvferberg hasn’t really shown anything.  

I am telling you guys.  This will be a rough season.  And the Ducks aren’t going to get going again until they are rid of Murray.  We were stuck in the land of the “middling” most likely. 

And GB, you really are doing a lot of mental gymnastics to imagine Ottawa did alright on that trade.  They got rekt.  Waited way to long to move him. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

33 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

How many of those prospect rankings predicted Kase, Manson & Rakell would be the players they are now ? Alot of them thought of them as depth players at most.

It doesn't bother me that Mahura isn't ranked higher. All the more reason for him to prove himself when he's in the AHL & eventually the NHL.

You should probably cool your jets on Kase.  He’s a fine player.  He’s not an all star.  It would not be shocking if he regresses a bit tbh. 

Rakell was always rated as a very high ceiling guy.  He’s a surprise to no one.  Manson is the one guy that has surprised.  It’s not really something you should count on happening over and over. 

Edited by UndertheHalo