• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Rangers (no Ohtani, Schimpf in LF)

Chuck

Absolutely awesome slide by Maldonado there. After see where he was when that throw came down the line, I thought he'd be out by a mile!

1 minute ago, Lou said:

How the hell does Hernandez miss that call? He's RIGHT THERE.

Time and time again MLB's umpires seem to have absolutely no idea where to position themselves to get the best views of close plays. 

I can't imagine without replay how many terrible calls they've gotten away with. 

Just now, Lou said:

How the hell does Hernandez miss that call? He's RIGHT THERE.

You know, as a LL, Pony, and now HS ump since I was 16, I can tell you it's easier than you think.

The other day I called batter's interference on a throw to 2B after a goddamn ball four. It wasn't until the coach walked up calm and said, "Blue, that was ball four." I stopped for a second and was like, "Oh, well, scratch that. My bad." 

It happens. I have sympathy for umps. 

1 minute ago, laagamer said:

You know, as a LL, Pony, and now HS ump since I was 16, I can tell you it's easier than you think.

The other day I called batter's interference on a throw to 2B after a goddamn ball four. It wasn't until the coach walked up calm and said, "Blue, that was ball four." I stopped for a second and was like, "Oh, well, scratch that. My bad." 

I'd have a *little* sympathy for umps if they didn't absolutely refuse to overturn terrible calls they made no matter what. Or if they weren't in absolutely horrendous positioning to watch plays where they basically can't see anything. 

One example that immediately stands out is the perfect game that was stolen from Armando Galarraga. Admit your mistake on the field, and own up to it. 

The stubbornness is what bugs me the most. 

Thank christ for instant replay. 

Just now, stormngt said:

It's funny reading all the crap regarding Richard's.  Relax everyone.  He going through a rough spell but by the end of the year he will right himself and half of you will be saying he could be an ACE.

The rough spell seems to have lasted several seasons now. My expectations of him are limited

3 minutes ago, laagamer said:

That's completely different. A better comparison would be if it had been ball 3 and the batter smacked the catcher's mitt right in front of you and you missed it. 

2 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

I'd have a *little* sympathy for umps if they didn't absolutely refuse to overturn terrible calls they made no matter what. Or if they weren't in absolutely horrendous positioning to watch plays where they basically can't see anything. 

One example that immediately stands out is the perfect game that was stolen from Armando Galarraga. Admit your mistake on the field, and own up to it. 

The stubbornness is what bugs me the most. 

Thank christ for instant replay. 

I thought he did apologize for that, didn't he? In fact, I'm pretty sure he cried about it. 

And once again, I don't know if you've ever umpired, but my sympathy comes from knowing that you're never going to be in the perfect position 100% of the time.

Seriously though, ignore me. I just have a soft-spot for fellow umps. Bleeding heart and all. 

12 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

Time and time again MLB's umpires seem to have absolutely no idea where to position themselves to get the best views of close plays. 

I can't imagine without replay how many terrible calls they've gotten away with. 

That's the thing, however. He was in perfect position to make the call.

Am I right, @laagamer

Edited by Lou

1 minute ago, Lou said:

That's completely different. A better comparison would be if it had been ball 3 and the batter smacked the catcher's mitt right in front of you and you missed it. 

I'm not willing to openly admit I've done this in my early career.

But I'm also not an MLB ump. 

Just now, stormngt said:

2017 era 2.28

2016 era 2.34

He's been injured! However he has pitched well when healthy!  He is healthy now and he will pitch well again.

Being injured is rough. I'm not saying he sucks. I just don't expect much

Just now, laagamer said:

I thought he did apologize for that, didn't he? In fact, I'm pretty sure he cried about it. 

And once again, I don't know if you've ever umpired, but my sympathy comes from knowing that you're never going to be in the perfect position 100% of the time.

Seriously though, ignore me. I just have a soft-spot for fellow umps. Bleeding heart and all. 

Yeah he did. Yeah that was a bad example because you could tell he felt absolutely horrible about it.

But I get Cali’s point tbh. Before replay umps didn’t have to answer to anybody. A lot of times they were just being pig headed or were biased one way or the other. I for one am glad there’s a system in place to keep the umps on their games.

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

That's the thing, however. He was in perfect position to make the call.

Am I right, @laagamer

I have no idea what they tell MLB umpires. On a throw from RF, I'm 3B line extended. So, basically I'm slightly to the left of where he was. 

I'd defer to the MLB umps expertise, to be honest. 

1 minute ago, laagamer said:

He did apologize, and while that was nice, it didn't *not take away* a perfect game Armando definitely earned. 

Don't worry about it, I'm not gonna argue, I'm sure umpiring is a tough job. What's tough is my dad umpired in the same kind of leagues you did, Pony, even High School,  and time after time he tells me when watching games "why is that umpire right there? He should be *here* or *here*" and I'm always like...you know what pops? You're right. And I know you're not going to be in a PERFECT position 100% of the time but these are supposed to be the best and dagnabbit it's frustrating. 

But come on. Referring to the Armando game, as an umpire team, you GOT to go to Joyce at that moment, say yeah you dropped the ball, then you overturn the call to get it RIGHT. That's all I'm saying. 

1 minute ago, Angelsfirst said:

Yeah he did. Yeah that was a bad example because you could tell he felt absolutely horrible about it.

But I get Cali’s point tbh. Before replay umps didn’t have to answer to anybody. A lot of times they were just being pig headed or were biased one way or the other. I for one am glad there’s a system in place to keep the umps on their games.

So am I. Umps no longer have to stand by calls they're unsure of.

Before, if you were unsure, you'd have to act like you were positive because managers would jump on you if you showed uncertainty.

Now? Fuck it, just go to replay. I'm human like everyone else.

Of course that's how I'd be if I ump'd MLB, you know, if I was 6 inches taller and not a shitty ump.