• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Poll: Will The Angels Now Retire #27 for Vlad?

Spirit

Will The Angels Now Retire #27 for Vlad?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Angels Now Retire #27 for Vlad?

4 minutes ago, Cdaniel said:

I think they retire it but Trout gets to wear it for the rest of his career as an Angel.

I think this is probably what will happen too.  Which means in the future, the Angels may have only two players in the HOF and they'll have both worn the same number. 

That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mike Trout willingly/proactively said he wanted to switch numbers as a way to honor Vladdy.  He just strikes me as think kind of an awesome kid.

Trout changing his number is unlikely for 2018. But if he changes it, what does he wear, #2?

Trout has had 6 years at 55.2 WAR in an Angels Uniform. Vlad's, though the team had more success, and he won an MVP, was 22.8.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

Here's Trout in his minor league uniforms and numbers. No #27.

https://www.trout.la/why-does-mike-trout-wear-27/mike-trout-minors-highschool-uniform/

It's funny, he wore #15 in HS, so that was out. But he wore #20 in Cedar Rapids and #23 with the Bees and Travelers. In 2011, they didn't have anyone wearing either number. https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAA/2011-uniform-numbers.shtml

And none of those were retired, except Salmon's #15.

Mike Trout (2011-2017)
Mike Ryan (2010)
Vladimir Guerrero (2004-2009)
Trent Durrington (2003)
Kevin Appier (2002-2003)
Mike Fyhrie (1999-2000)
Darin Erstad (1996-1998)
Mike Aldrete (1995-1996)
Mark Leiter (1994)
Dave Gallagher (1991)
Willie Fraser (1987-1990)
Don Sutton (1985-1986)
Pat Clements (1985)
Frank LaCorte (1984)
Craig Swan (1984)
Byron McLaughlin (1983)
Freddie Martinez (1980-1981)
Tony Solaita (1976-1978)
Bubba Morton (1967-1969)
Jose Cardenal (1965)
Leon Wagner (1961-1963)

Lou Johnson (1961)

Have all worn #27 for The Angels.

Juan Rivera had recently worn #20 (Until 2010), 

No one wore #23 in 2011 but in 2012, Greinke wore it for the month he was here.

Segura wore #20 it in 2012, so maybe that's why Trout didn't wear it with the Bees or Travelers.

And I forgot Simmons currently wears #2, which is unlikely that Trout goes for that number, in deference to Jeter obviously.

I don’t think Mike Trout should need to feel any compulsion to change his number.  I’m a huge Vladdy fan but Mike Trout has surpassed him already in his Angels career.  If they want to retire the number after Trouts had his career and add Vlad to it that’s fine.  I would completely defer to Mike Trout though. 

Great that the Angels FINALLY have their cap on someone’s plaque in Cooperstown.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

I don’t think Mike Trout should need to feel any compulsion to change his number.  I’m a huge Vladdy fan but Mike Trout has surpassed him already in his Angels career.  If they want to retire the number after Trouts has his career and add Vlad to it that’s fine.  I would completely defer to Mike Trout though. 

I agree, which is why i asked about it retired twice :)