• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What if Cron kills it in ST?

Hubs

We all assume he's getting traded, because Valbuena is a lefty bat and more situated to play both infield corners. But with Kinsler and Cowart both able to play 1st, and Cowart and Cozart both able to play 3rd, is Valbuena necessary? Can Cron beat him for the platoon first base gig? 

We can only keep 3 utility players.  Given that either Perez/Graterol are one, a backup outfielder is two,  the third one can only be one of Cron, Valbuena, Cowart.  There is still a pressing need to have a backup to Pujols at first base, a backup to 2B/SS/3B, a reliable hitter, some speed so they could be used as a pinch runner, and that means the 3rd spot has to be a very versatile guy.  Then there is the problem of Valbuena's contract being not easy to move.  It's a bit of a dilemma.

I think Cron has a lot of ability and potential. His biggest weakness seems to be pitch recognition. He is easily tempted to chase breaking balls out of the strike zone. I think this is why he is so inconsistent. When he learns to spit on those breaking ball out of the zone, you will see him .280 and 30 hr's over a full season. He appears to be a hard worker, as his defense at first base has shown. I hope he can improve his hitting similarly.

49 minutes ago, tomsred said:

We can only keep 3 utility players.  Given that either Perez/Graterol are one, a backup outfielder is two,  the third one can only be one of Cron, Valbuena, Cowart.  There is still a pressing need to have a backup to Pujols at first base, a backup to 2B/SS/3B, a reliable hitter, some speed so they could be used as a pinch runner, and that means the 3rd spot has to be a very versatile guy.  Then there is the problem of Valbuena's contract being not easy to move.  It's a bit of a dilemma.

Cozart can play SS, if Simmons is down for what ever reason. Cowart can then take his spot a 3B. Cowart can cover the rest of the IF when needed, he has played in the OF a little in AAA as well. He can pinch run and steal a base or two. I would trade Valbuena he has the most salary to dump.

Cron is only a 1B and that's the end of the story.  It is what it is.  There is no place for him on the roster. Valbuena can play both 1B and 3B and the team needs somebody to cal up third.

So it doesn't matter if he hits .565 with 15 homers in the spring.  The reality is the only guy he is competing with at this point is Pujols.  And we have the answer on who gets the roster spot on that one.

Cron will be traded.

19 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Cozart can play SS, if Simmons is down for what ever reason. Cowart can then take his spot a 3B. Cowart can cover the rest of the IF when needed, he has played in the OF a little in AAA as well. He can pinch run and steal a base or two. I would trade Valbuena he has the most salary to dump.

Yeah, for the cost of their respective contracts, I'd rather keep Cron. But I actually think that Cron will get more interest on the trade wire that Valbuena's 7 mil contract.

Could we convince the Yankees to take him for their 3rd base opening and/or a lefty off the bench. Lefties with some power do well in Yankee Stadium.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I'd hang onto Valbuena for this season, no need to trade him.  He's entering a potential free agency year, I'm betting on him rebounding a bit and putting up a WAR of around 1.5-2.  

I think Cowart opens the year in AAA, and perhaps gets reps all around the diamond (2B/3B/SS/OF), with the hopes of developing him into an uber utility player.  If he can prove himself to be a competent fielder in all of those positions, then he'll definitely have utility for us moving forward.  For now, we have Cozart serving as both our 3B AND our utility infielder.