• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Maitan

vladdy#27

2 minutes ago, Tyler said:

This tweet is f'n hilarious.

and dumb at the same time.

There's no way this 17 year old is a better prospect than Jones, Adell, Marsh or Barria. 

Lots of upside, but way too young and struggled in his debut in pro bal, while others did well -- like Marsh and Adell.

I agree with @tdawg87 that Jahmai Jones gets absolutely no F'n love from these so-called prospect experts. 

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Good news, but that Fangraphs report is rather worrisome. It does sound like he'll eventually play 3B.

I would not rank him #1 over Adell, Jones, and maybe Marsh. Top five, yes, but we need to see how he looks stateside. 

The scouting reports are a concern as are reports that he didn't stay in shape, but I think you have to consider that he was 17 playing professional ball -- he's essentially a HS Junior. On top of that, I'm sure there was a bit of culture shock. I agree that #1 might be a bit overboard, but in terms of upside he may have the most in the system.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

and dumb at the same time.

There's no way this 17 year old is a better prospect than Jones, Adell, Marsh or Barria. 

Lots of upside, but way too young and struggled in his debut in pro bal, while others did well -- like Marsh and Adell.

I agree with @tdawg87 that Jahmai Jones gets absolutely no F'n love from these so-called prospect experts. 

Does Maitan seem like a Rafael Devers to you too?

I think Jones is the safest, with Adell the highest ceiling, but Maitan may be most likely to reach star status.

Re: Jones, I really like him but let's be honest: some of us are probably overrating him because the Angels farm has been so weak. I think he'll be a major league regular, but he isn't dominating in the minors like most future stars do. 

Now this could all change if he kills it in A+/AA this year, but so far he's been holding his own and performing well, but not dominating.

Kid isn't even 18 and a spent his first season of pro ball in Danville, VA as a kid from Venezuela.  He started in the gulf coast and was promoted right away.  so basically it would be like a 17yo spending the season at Orem.  The closest person we had was Adell who is a full year older and didn't play a position.

Maitan played SS and tried to switch hit as the youngest kid in league.  

That's quite a few adjustments to make out of the gate.  I'm gonna give him a pass.  Frankly, it looks like they pushed him a bit fast.  Should have left him in the GCL 

For perspective here, Maitan would be a senior in high school right now if he was born here. The Braves had him in the Appalachian League as a 17-year old (which I believe is comparable to the Pioneer League / Orem).

He is way too young for anyone to judge his prospect status based on a small sample size of at bats in a league he probably shouldn't have been playing in to begin with.

Love the move, even if it is a big gamble. All these international guys are gambles at the young ages at which they sign.

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Kid isn't even 18 and a spent his first season of pro ball in Danville, VA as a kid from Venezuela.  He started in the gulf coast and was promoted right away.  so basically it would be like a 17yo spending the season at Orem.  The closest person we had was Adell who is a full year older and didn't play a position.

Maitan played SS and tried to switch hit as the youngest kid in league.  

That's quite a few adjustments to make out of the gate.  I'm gonna give him a pass.  Frankly, it looks like they pushed him a bit fast.  Should have left him in the GCL 

You beat me to it. 

4 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

The scouting reports are a concern as are reports that he didn't stay in shape, but I think you have to consider that he was 17 playing professional ball -- he's essentially a HS Junior. On top of that, I'm sure there was a bit of culture shock. I agree that #1 might be a bit overboard, but in terms of upside he may have the most in the system.

Plus, one wonders if the players impacted by the Braves shenanigans had wind of it during the 2017 season, and maybe that also affected them mentally?

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Re: Jones, I really like him but let's be honest: some of us are probably overrating him because the Angels farm has been so weak. I think he'll be a major league regular, but he isn't dominating in the minors like most future stars do. 

Now this could all change if he kills it in A+/AA this year, but so far he's been holding his own and performing well, but not dominating.

I call BS on this AJ. 

If Jones was in the Red Sox or Yankees org he'd be talked up, hyped up and a top 30 prospect. 

The kid is athletic, fast, strong and a very good defender who slashed .302/.368/.488 in HIgh-A ball to finish the season. If you take away his first 3 weeks of struggles in Low-A ball (and the ice cold conditions) his slash line is incredible. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

I call BS on this AJ. 

If Jones was in the Red Sox or Yankees org he'd be talked up, hyped up and a top 30 prospect. 

The kid is athletic, fast, strong and a very good defender who slashed .302/.368/.488 in HIgh-A ball to finish the season. If you take away his first 3 weeks of struggles in Low-A ball (and the ice cold conditions) his slash line is incredible. 

Yes, if he were on the Red Sox or Yankees org, I agree - but that's because those are the premium, most hyped and known baseball franchises. 

That said, I do see him as top 100 prospect, just in the lower quarter (75-100 range). He is not yet a true premier prospect - I'd like to see greater extended dominance for that.

I think there is a narrow window where he becomes Andrew McCutchen, but more likely he's something like Shane Victorino - which is still very good.