• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Maitan

vladdy#27

Here's a recent scouting report on Maitan from Fangraphs. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-braves-punishment-is-in-and-its-harsh/

Kevin Maitan, INF
The crown jewel of the 2016 signing period, Maitan signed for $4.25 million out of Venezuela after a late push from Washington increased an earlier agreed-upon figure. Scouts were on Maitan early, around age 13 or 14, and monitored his development closely. By age 15, he was drawing comparisons to Miguel Cabreraand Chipper Jones. They thought he’d hit for average and power from both sides of the plate and, though he was likely to move to third base eventually, thought he had a non-zero chance to stay at shortstop. All-around talents like this are rare, and Maitan ranked No. 1 on our July 2 board in 2016.

I saw Maitan firsthand during his stateside debut in the 2016 Fall Instructional League. He had already thickened up quite a bit at that point and seemed likely to move to third base sooner than anticipated. But the bat speed, arm strength, and feel to hit were all as advertised. I left satisfied that Maitan, whom I had already projected to third base anyway, was as advertised.

Then 2017 reports started coming in. Scouts expressed concern over Maitan’s thickening body, some dropping a 30 on his lateral range at shortstop and projecting him over at first base. Others didn’t like his swing, citing stiffness and length. Pro scouts couldn’t understand what all the international fuss was about.

Maitan still has enviable bat speed and bat control, but any team that pursues him is pursuing a talented reclamation project, not a presently enticing talent. He’s still just 17 and it’s far too early to give up on Maitan as a prospect, but unless you view him using his amateur reports as context, you might not even think he is one.

Very good signing. 

"Maitan was considered one of the top young hitters to come out of Latin America in years. He signed with the Braves for $4.25 million and was considered advanced enough to spend most of his first pro season in the Rookie-level Appalachian League." per BA

1 minute ago, Turd Ferguson said:

At 17. As a reference point, Manny Machado is 6'3" 185. I'm sure he will get every shot at SS but I wouldn't be surprised if he's ultimately moved off the position.

me either. i wasn't trying to argue for one or the other, just listing the info for those (like me) who didn't know.

glaus was a SS at UCLA but was moved to third after the angels  drafted him, and he was 6'5.

5 minutes ago, Tank said:

me either. i wasn't trying to argue for one or the other, just listing the info for those (like me) who didn't know.

glaus was a SS at UCLA but was moved to third after the angels  drafted him, and he was 6'5.

No worries, I wasn't arguing either. Just trying to give some context for the size. Love the move, regardless of position. 

I'm wondering if they have to decide whether to use this years international pool or next right away. I mean, Ohtani has to sign in the next 16 days so if they don't sign him, they can use some of next years and all of this years for Maitan.

He could be a Sano type. I think he should scrap batting switch as scouts said his swing has much more quickness and loft from the right side, but lacking from the left side of the plate.

Being is already filling out at 17 years old, I'd stick him at 3B since he has soft hands and a very strong throwing arm. 

This is a good move. 

BA notes that he has plus raw power. 

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

I'm wondering if they have to decide whether to use this years international pool or next right away. I mean, Ohtani has to sign in the next 16 days so if they don't sign him, they can use some of next years and all of this years for Maitan.

It can’t be split like that

26 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Who dis? 

If this is Baldoquin 2.0, I'm going to lose my shit.

DiPoto way overvalued Baldoquin, in the eyes of every other team.....Maitan has some work to do but was the top rated international prospect in 2016.....No downside to this signing....worth the risk...love seeing us get back in the international market after DiPoto botched things with Baldoquin....

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

He could be a Sano type. I think he should scrap batting switch as scouts said his swing has much more quickness and loft from the right side, but lacking from the left side of the plate.

Being is already filling out at 17 years old, I'd stick him at 3B since he has soft hands and a very strong throwing arm. 

This is a good move. 

BA notes that he has plus raw power. 

And RHH's with power prosper more than LHH's with power in Angel Stadium anyway.