• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Maitan

vladdy#27

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

So now that Maitlan is off the table, if they Angels fail to sign Ohtani, who are they likely to spend the newly acquired money on? 

They could use it on any of the other Braves guys, or they could trade it. Or they could just not spend it. Obviously, a lot of the money goes unspent. Remember it's not like this is actual money that's been spent, it's just an allowance to spend. It's not like buying a plane ticket and throwing it away. It's like having enough money for a plane ticket but deciding not to buy it and then buying something else.

I think this is such a great break for the Angels.  He’s a ways off and expectations should be tempered but he’s an elite prospect talent that great enhances the Angels prospect currency.  

I was really hoping the Angels would jump on some of these Braves prospects.  They pulled down the best one.  Great that we could capitalize !

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think this is such a great break for the Angels.  He’s a ways off and expectations should be tempered but he’s an elite prospect talent that great enhances the Angels prospect currency.  

I was really hoping the Angels would jump on some of these Braves prospects.  They pulled down the best one.  Great that we could capitalize !

And, indirectly, we're doing it with the Braves own money. 

13 minutes ago, azmancini said:

How about they flip Maitan the other kid from the Braves they just signed, maybe Adell or Jones and Calhoun to the Fish for Stanton.

we're not getting stanton.  I think I'm ok with that frankly.  Maybe the plan is to loot the braves system and use that collateral to obtain guys like Cesar Hernandez and/or Eugenio Suarez.  Or whatever other players they see fit while the farm remains net neutral regardless of who they trade.  They can always try to buy back international pool money next year.  If eating 5 mil of Jim Johnson is what it takes to get a little over a mil of pool money, then it shouldn't be all that difficult.  

It's all about finding undervalued assets.  It appears that Eppler and crew may have identified international pool money as such.  It's all about opportunity.  Something the halos haven't played a hand at in the international market for years.  While they are limited relative to 5 years ago, they've found a hole and are exploiting it.  Not in the unsavory way required in recent past,.  I think we're gonna see Eppler make a land grab on a couple more of the available prospects and international money over the next several months.  

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

we're not getting stanton.  I think I'm ok with that frankly.  Maybe the plan is to loot the braves system and use that collateral to obtain guys like Cesar Hernandez and/or Eugenio Suarez.  Or whatever other players they see fit while the farm remains net neutral regardless of who they trade.  They can always try to buy back international pool money next year.  If eating 5 mil of Jim Johnson is what it takes to get a little over a mil of pool money, then it shouldn't be all that difficult.  

It's all about finding undervalued assets.  It appears that Eppler and crew may have identified international pool money as such.  It's all about opportunity.  Something the halos haven't played a hand at in the international market for years.  While they are limited relative to 5 years ago, they've found a hole and are exploiting it.  Not in the unsavory way required in recent past,.  I think we're gonna see Eppler make a land grab on a couple more of the available prospects and international money over the next several months.  

I'm certainly okay passing on Stanton. As exciting as it would be, and even though the pieces seemingly fit, the cost for him is looking to be far too great. If he came at 70% of contract (and maybe with a discounted Gordon) for a couple decent prospects, it'd fall in line with Eppler'sb penchant for taking advantage of good value, but that's not looking like the case.

9 hours ago, totdprods said:

I'm certainly okay passing on Stanton. As exciting as it would be, and even though the pieces seemingly fit, the cost for him is looking to be far too great. If he came at 70% of contract (and maybe with a discounted Gordon) for a couple decent prospects, it'd fall in line with Eppler'sb penchant for taking advantage of good value, but that's not looking like the case.

I miss the days when arte was like your cool uncle who never married. Had a new chick every thanksgiving, money, was your grandmas favorite, snuck you beers when you were 16. That was like the vlad-pujols era arte, who would trade for stanton.

Now hes the current version of that uncle. Like, married one of those hot thanksgiving girls for her looks, she got fat, left him, took his house and half his 401K. Now he still goes to vegas but stays off the strip. Ugly girl but really polite at thanksgiving.

15 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

And let's not forget, he was 17 years old - a high school junior - playing against much older, more advanced competition.

I love this move, and love the direction Eppler is taking this team. He is every bit as aggressive as Dipoto was, but seems to be making better moves and seems to be focusing more holistically on the entire organization. 

6 minutes ago, wopphil said:

And let's not forget, he was 17 years old - a high school junior - playing against much older, more advanced competition.

I love this move, and love the direction Eppler is taking this team. He is every bit as aggressive as Dipoto was, but seems to be making better moves and seems to be focusing more holistically on the entire organization. 

How is a 17 year old a high school junior? I was 17 my freshman year of college...

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

In Ca, if you are born after December 1st you have to wait till the following year to go to school.  

Didn't know that, so wouldn't it make my experience more common than a 17 year old being a junior? Based on that I would think most seniors were 17 and turn 18 freshman year of college.

2 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Didn't know that, so wouldn't it make my experience more common than a 17 year old being a junior? Based on that I would think most seniors were 17 and turn 18 freshman year of college.

I have an October birthday, so i was the same.  Most students turn 18 the calendar year they graduate high school.

Just now, Angelsfan1984 said:

I would say it is about 50/50.  This is really a silly thing to argue about.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

In Ca, if you are born after December 1st you have to wait till the following year to go to school.  

I thought it was Sept. and may even be Aug now.  Most kids will turn 18 during their senior year which is what he will do in Feb.  He would be a Senior.