• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Maitan

vladdy#27

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I thought it was Sept. and may even be Aug now.  Most kids will turn 18 during their senior year which is what he will do in Feb.  He would be a Senior.  

It could have changed, my ex wife is a teacher and she would talk about December being the cut off date.  

32 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I'm not arguing, i'm genuinely curious. Makes me wish I had started school a year later.

My son is 13 as an 8th grader with an August birthday.  So he will be 17 as a Senior.   My younger son is 10 as a 5th grader with a Jan birthday, so he will be 17, turning 18 in January of his Senior year.

His travel ball coaches have all said to pull him from school this summer, home school him as a repeat 8th grade, then drop him into a private high school a year from now as a 15 year old.  (Nope, not gonna do that, it's crazy talk.  And if my wife heard it, she go ballistic and pull him from the team).  There are 4 kids on his that are already committed to doing it.  They are 13 as 7th graders.  Doing this pushes them closer to 16 as freshmen.  

Supposedly this is a pretty widespread practice nowadays to ensure little Johnny has his best shot at a scholarship.  (Though if those same crazy parents saved the money they spent on equipment, lessons, multiple travel teams, tournaments, private school, etc, they'd have no problem paying for college.)

Just crazy how intense and competitive everything is these days, and the lengths people go for an advantage.  Yeah, they get a year of growth, but it all evens out in the end, and most won't even play college ball anyway.

4 minutes ago, Biergott said:

My son is 13 as an 8th grader with an August birthday.  So he will be 17 as a Senior.   My younger son is 10 as a 5th grader with a Jan birthday, so he will be 17, turning 18 in January of his Senior year.

His travel ball coaches have all said to pull him from school this summer, home school him as a repeat 8th grade, then drop him into a private high school a year from now as a 15 year old.  (Nope, not gonna do that, it's crazy talk.  And if my wife heard it, she go ballistic and pull him from the team).  There are 4 kids on his that are already committed to doing it.  They are 13 as 7th graders.  Doing this pushes them closer to 16 as freshmen.  

Supposedly this is a pretty widespread practice nowadays to ensure little Johnny has his best shot at a scholarship.  (Though if those same crazy parents saved the money they spent on equipment, lessons, multiple travel teams, tournaments, private school, etc, they'd have no problem paying for college.)

Just crazy how intense and competitive everything is these days, and the lengths people go for an advantage.  Yeah, they get a year of growth, but it all evens out in the end, and most won't even play college ball anyway.

That's exactly my thought. I was 16/17 playing against 18 year olds. During that time there's a huge difference between a 16 year old and an 18 year old. Pretty sure things worked out ok for me though, so I cant really complain :P 

27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Hey, is there a certain amount of time you have to have an international signing in your organization before you trade them?  I know at one point there was, just not sure if you that exists anymore.

Good question, because it would seem Maitan is prime trade bait.

1 minute ago, wopphil said:

Good question, because it would seem Maitan is prime trade bait.

I asked Fletcher and Taylor Blake Ward, they both let me know that there is not minimum amount of time.  They also let me know he hasn’t signed a contract yet and still needs to take his physical.  However after he does that he is an asset that can be traded.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I asked Fletcher and Taylor Blake Ward, they both let me know that there is not minimum amount of time.  They also let me know he hasn’t signed a contract yet and still needs to take his physical.  However after he does that he is an asset that can be traded.

Unless we can get a controllable difference maker right now, id like to hold on to him. The only one that comes to mind at the moment (should we not sign Ohtani) is package him up for Jose Abreu.

12 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Unless we can get a controllable difference maker right now, id like to hold on to him. The only one that comes to mind at the moment (should we not sign Ohtani) is package him up for Jose Abreu.

If Stanton winds up vetoing everything, I wouldn't mind seeing what Marlins would want for a combo of guys like Gordon, Prado, Yelich, Ozuna, Ziegler, or Bour cost. They'll be trying to shed money one way or another.

Cardinals and Giants have some good players worth checking in on too.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

If Stanton winds up vetoing everything, I wouldn't mind seeing what Marlins would want for a combo of guys like Gordon, Prado, Yelich, Ozuna, Ziegler, or Bour cost. They'll be trying to shed money one way or another.

Cardinals and Giants have some good players worth checking in on too.

As much as Stanton would be great, I really think we could use that money to build a much more well rounded team at other positions. I'd take Cobb and Lynn at 15 mill per each vs Stanton at 30.

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

As much as Stanton would be great, I really think we could use that money to build a much more well rounded team at other positions. I'd take Cobb and Lynn at 15 mill per each vs Stanton at 30.

Wasn't interested in Stanton - interested in other Marlins if they had to shed other contracts. 

I love Calhoun but Yelich or Ozuna in RF or Bour at 1B plus Gordon, etc would be a good scenario.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Wasn't interested in Stanton - interested in other Marlins if they had to shed other contracts. 

I love Calhoun but Yelich or Ozuna in RF or Bour at 1B plus Gordon, etc would be a good scenario.

Gotcha. Ya I agree. I'm just not sure we would be able to get rid of Calhoun given his production last year without having to eat some of that salary.

I was in the same boat, didn't turn 18 till November of my Freshman year of College.

Those of us with late birthdays always had to pick which year to start, and I was ready at 5 (almost 6) to go to First Grade.

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I was in the same boat, didn't turn 18 till November of my Freshman year of College.

Those of us with late birthdays always had to pick which year to start, and I was ready at 5 (almost 6) to go to First Grade.

I was born in July.  I started school late.  Some may choose to start their children early.

I doubt they trade a 17 year old prospect immediately after signing him. They will keep him for a minimum of 1.5 years and then maybe he would be trade bait at the deadline in 2019 if they even wanted to trade him period.

Only college players typically get traded 1/2 year or less after they were drafted.

6 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I doubt they trade a 17 year old prospect immediately after signing him. They will keep him for a minimum of 1.5 years and then maybe he would be trade bait at the deadline in 2019 if they even wanted to trade him period.

Only college players typically get traded 1/2 year or less after they were drafted.

Yeah Maitan already got jerked around by one org - it'd be a little dickish to immediately flip the guy. We are trying to rebuild our Latin American perception.