• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Pursuing Ohtani

totdprods

2 hours ago, Calzone said:

They really had no choice but to say that Pujols will play more first base. If Pujols was said to just be a DH we would have zero chance at Ohtani. We are not even sure if Pujols is physically capable of playing first base yet. 

WE aren’t even sure if he is physically capable of being a DH.

29 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I see him in the NL. PH a few times a week.  Maybe DH the few road interleague games.  This allows the team to let him pitch and assess his hitting and adjustments.  His hitting sounds more disruptive to an AL team. Maybe I'm wrong but I view him as a pitcher who might hit fairly well.  I wouldn't move pujols to 1b or not pursue Santana  / Morrison  for his bat.  

You don't sign Ohtani for his bat.  You sign him for his arm.

3 minutes ago, ettin said:

Well I didn't see the other thread because I hadn't refreshed my screen yet and now I see that we may be using next year's funds which I actually didn't realize was a route that we could use, I find that very strange.

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

Well I didn't see the other thread because I hadn't refreshed my screen yet and now I see that we may be using next year's funds which I actually didn't realize was a route that we could use, I find that very strange.

I think we've got a pretty smart GM. Which after the last two, yeah, seems strange the Angels are making these moves, good moves not some idiotic Baldoquin moves.

Edited by Blarg

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

I'm not sure its 100% confirmed that we used only funds from next year, but it for sure looks like it given the price we paid. Also, it is strange. It has to do with the massive punishment to the Braves for going over their spending cap.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I think we've got a pretty smart GM. Which after the last two, yeah, seems strange the Angels are making these moves, good moves not some idiotic Baldoquin moves.

Oh I absolutely agree, Eppler has been a revelation!

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

To be fair, the Baldoquin move was pretty singular in its idiocy - most GM's don't get a chance to do "two" of them.  

With "Angels Management" being an oxymoron for so long, I've been pretty slow to trust Eppler, especially since he was inheriting such an awful mess in the farm, the payroll obligations, and the international limitations.  But given these limitations, I have to say ...

... screw that, I don't have to say anything, I'll just jinx it - so, yeah, he's Reagins 2.0 ... ;)

Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that the Rangers met with Shohei Ohtani and his representatives Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Rangers co-owner Ray Davis, general manager Jon Daniels, and manager Jeff Banister were all present for the sales pitch, along with some other members of the front office. Ohtani sat down with the Dodgers and Giants on Monday and he's expected to chat with the Padres, Cubs, Mariners, and Angels sometime this week. The belief is the 23-year-old Japanese star will have an agreement in place with a major league club by December 22. Texas has been in pursuit of Ohtani since he was in high school and can offer the highest signing bonus at $3.535 million.
Related: Rangers

4 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

So clear things up, what exactly what his hitting schedule? 

Because I'm sure he had more opportunities to DH with a 6 man rotation, but that's not gonna happen here.

I believe he pitched on Sundays, and hit on Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday. They have Monday off days, and he didn't hit on Friday-Saturday, to prepare to pitch.

39 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that the Rangers met with Shohei Ohtani and his representatives Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Rangers co-owner Ray Davis, general manager Jon Daniels, and manager Jeff Banister were all present for the sales pitch, along with some other members of the front office. Ohtani sat down with the Dodgers and Giants on Monday and he's expected to chat with the Padres, Cubs, Mariners, and Angels sometime this week. The belief is the 23-year-old Japanese star will have an agreement in place with a major league club by December 22. Texas has been in pursuit of Ohtani since he was in high school and can offer the highest signing bonus at $3.535 million.
Related: Rangers

Why do I feel like a major let down is in our future?

10 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Why should we be disappointed when we were never the favorites to begin with?

We should all be thrilled that we're just in the running. 

I don't think any of us thought we'd even consider Ohtani going into this offseason.

Angelswin.com 2018 Primer Series: Rotation: http://thesportsdaily.com/angels-win/angelswin-com-2018-primer-series-rotation/

"Obviously having Garrett and Andrew in relief is not ideal, or perhaps even practical, but logically it is difficult to envision them as starters for the entire year based on our discussion above. Matt’s and Tyler’s recent injury histories only add to the overall concern. This whole situation screams for more stability at the top of the rotation for next season and the only way to do that is by making a trade for, or signing, a front- or middle-of-the-rotation starter.

The Angels certainly have enough free payroll to do this as we discussed in the Financial section of this Primer series.

This simply means that top free agent starters like Yu Darvish or Jake Arrieta could be atop Billy’s wish list or maybe someone like Alex Cobb or Jaime Garcia might be more attractive to Eppler. If Shohei Otani is posted this off-season from Japan the Angels will almost assuredly pursue him to the best of their ability as he could potentially start and play left field or 1B (he is rumored to want a team that will play him as a two-way player)."

Must have been a shorter bus ride that day? :dancing-with-joy-smiley-emoticon: