• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does Arte Moreno push aside Eppler and make a big splash?

Chuck

You know, for the likes of JD Martinez, Otani or Stanton?

The attendance this season was pretty pathetic, despite what the Angels will tell you and Arte being a marketing guy and wanting to put butts in the seats, I can see him going after an Otani/Stanton type if he thinks it will help the Angels brand. 

Question is, does he learn from the Hamilton/Pujols signings and let his GM do his work or does he play the role of the GM again and make a big splash for a premier player in addition to Justin Upton and Mike Trout?

What more of a big splash can a team have than the best player in baseball?  Arte doesn't need to make a big splash, he needs to make several good moves to surround Trout with the right kind of talent.

Signing Upton was a great start.  Now they need to address 3B, 2B and maybe 1B.  Add bullpen arms too.

WINNING PUTS BUTTS IN THE SEATS!!!!

9 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

What more of a big splash can a team have than the best player in baseball?  Arte doesn't need to make a big splash, he needs to make several good moves to surround Trout with the right kind of talent.

Signing Upton was a great start.  Now they need to address 3B, 2B and maybe 1B.  Add bullpen arms too.

WINNING PUTS BUTTS IN THE SEATS!!!!

Agreed.

The problem with Arte is that he continues to count the same three million fans at the end of the season. Any additional revenue from new butts in the seats may not offset the cost for a Stanton plus a few more pieces. He’s already making bank.

Additionally Arte’s been down that path before and he probably doesn’t fully trust investing big in players anymore. Did he really turn down Trout on a more lucrative long term deal? 

If Arte has that kind of money and commitment to win then he can afford to send Pujols packing now.

1 hour ago, Calzone said:

The problem with Arte is that he continues to count the same three million fans at the end of the season. Any additional revenue from new butts in the seats may not offset the cost for a Stanton plus a few more pieces. He’s already making bank.

Additionally Arte’s been down that path before and he probably doesn’t fully trust investing big in players anymore. Did he really turn down Trout on a more lucrative long term deal? 

If Arte has that kind of money and commitment to win then he can afford to send Pujols packing now.

Stop with the incessant Albert crap.  I’m certain Arte understands the additional revenue of actual people in the seats that are sold.  Research shows People spend more money at the stadium than they do to get into the stadium.  

25 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Stop with the incessant Albert crap.  I’m certain Arte understands the additional revenue of actual people in the seats that are sold.  Research shows People spend more money at the stadium than they do to get into the stadium.  

No Strad, you’re in total denial that Albert’s salary absolutely reduces the possibility of acquiring a player like Stanton. You can’t just pretend Pujols’ salary isn’t there. It’s real and it getting worse.

If Albert would’ve delivered a championship or two then things would be completely different. Arte would be more open to doing things like signing additional mega deals to “KEEP WINNING”

Yes I’m very vocal about Albert but I’ve read many post here trying to suggest different ways to conceal him into the lineup. Hit him between this guy and that guy so we can get the squeeze the most production out of him as possible. That’s pretty pathetic IMO. You shouldn’t have to hide a $27M player anywhere. 

17 minutes ago, Calzone said:

No Strad, you’re in total denial that Albert’s salary absolutely reduces the possibility of acquiring a player like Stanton. You can’t just pretend Pujols’ salary isn’t there. It’s real and it getting worse.

If Albert would’ve delivered a championship or two then things would be completely different. Arte would be more open to doing things like signing additional mega deals to “KEEP WINNING”

Yes I’m very vocal about Albert but I’ve read many post here trying to suggest different ways to conceal him into the lineup. Hit him between this guy and that guy so we can get the squeeze the most production out of him as possible. That’s pretty pathetic IMO. You shouldn’t have to hide a $27M player anywhere. 

How can I be in denial you litter every thread with it.   It’s also silly you think the salary just goes away if he’s released.  Oh and bull crap that it would be different if we won a title, you’d still bring him up in every thread the moment he stops producing.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

How can I be in denial you litter every thread with it.   It’s also silly you think the salary just goes away if he’s released.  Oh and bull crap that it would be different if we won a title, you’d still bring him up in every thread the moment he stops producing.  

I’m referring to Arte. He would probably be more receptive to a Stanton type acquisition today if he’d already enjoyed the success of a championship with his most recent big splash contracts. 

Arte definitely learned that lesson already. He went over Dipoto for Pujols (CJ Wilson was Jerry's target). He doubled down on Hamilton. 

But since then his biggest free agent acquisition before Upton was who....Joe Smith? He learned to stay distanced from controlling the future of his team and leaving it to the men he hired.

So if Eppler thinks it's a good idea and fits for the short term and long term plans, then yeah, big splash. But I think for now, Upton was our primary target and we landed him. I don't think Eppler spends top dollar for a .310 OBP, so Mous is out. 

Hosmer will require outspending the evil empires, so that's out of the question.

So ultimately, I think Eppler will weigh the cost-effectiveness of signing someone like Kendrick or Walker or even Yonder Alonso versus spending prospect capital on someone like Dee Gordon, Cesar Hernandez, Jason Kipnis or Yangervis Solarte.

Personally, Eppler's public seal of approval regarding Valbuena tells me he's either going to be our option at 3B or 1B. Because of the plethora of inexpensive 1B options, we'll see the Angels package Cron for a 2B and sign a 1B that will get us through this season and next until Matt Thaiss takes over. 

Carlos Santana's contract would run too long, Dipoto wants Alonso back, and that leaves Logan Morrison. 

34 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It’s also silly you think the salary just goes away if he’s released.

I think the best we can hope for is after Albert gets his 3000 hits and 2000 RBIs next year and his career BA drops to .304, he will retire before his BA drops below .300. I hope he doesn't have any delusions about reaching 700 HRs or he will never retire "early".

Mickey Mantle said his biggest regret was letting his BA drop below .300.

personally, i couldn't give less of a shit about albert's career milestones. i'm sure it's because he's an anchor on my team, but still...just retire already. he lost me, early on, when he acted like a bitch when asked about trout. i know trout loves him, but that was weaksauce ego bs.

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Because of the plethora of inexpensive 1B options, we'll see the Angels package Cron for a 2B and sign a 1B that will get us through this season and next until Matt Thaiss takes over. 

If we trade Cron just watch him get regular playing time for his next team and have a career year and be an Angel killer in the same way Napoli is/was.

9 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Because of the plethora of inexpensive 1B options, we'll see the Angels package Cron for a 2B and sign a 1B that will get us through this season and next until Matt Thaiss takes over. 

BC of that plethora of inexpensive 1B options, Cron's trade value is likely at an all time low...   Young controllable players are MLBs currency of choice right now, so unless there is a team looking to move the 2B version of Cron I can't really see why teams would trade a young player for a player they can get for just money on the FA market.

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

Albert and his .286 OBP and double plays galore agree. Fans simply can't wait to get to the stadium to see him.