• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Upton will likely opt-out

nate

I figure there's a good chance he does, but I also figure it's just, as mentioned, a negotiation mechanism. There's no reason he shouldn't be able to get an extra year, or even two (ugh), tacked onto his current deal or even a slight raise. 

I fully support signing him to a modified deal, and while I'd be pretty bummed if he wound up walking completely, I would still feel comfortable that Eppler could use that extra money to improve the team.

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m guessing he will sign a different deal with the Angels before he’s an actual free agent.  Probably around 5 years $105 million, no trade clause.  Basically add another year.

If he opts out he puts himself on the open market. Arte would be smart to wait and see what kind of offers he gets. Upton had a tough time getting the contract he currently has which I believe is fair market value. Upton’s agent Larry Reynolds was also Torii Hunters agent. 

19 minutes ago, Calzone said:

If he opts out he puts himself on the open market. Arte would be smart to wait and see what kind of offers he gets. Upton had a tough time getting the contract he currently has which I believe is fair market value. Upton’s agent Larry Reynolds was also Torii Hunters agent. 

Yeah I think when it comes to discussing "fair market value" you should probably just lay low. Maybe eat some chips and watch a movie. Masturbate. Just an all-around chill vibe. 

46 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m guessing he will sign a different deal with the Angels before he’s an actual free agent.  Probably around 5 years $105 million, no trade clause.  Basically add another year.

What exactly makes you think that?  Because of all the other players that have done that?  Which have been... Weaver?  Everyone else has been given the finger by Arte or gone after more money.

10 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I stated as much in the thread where it was discussed.  I know I might get blasted but I was not that impressed with Upton.

I'm not going to "blast" you but why weren't you impressed by him? 

His 137 OPS+ over a full season would have been 2nd best on the team by a significant margin. 

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

Bad fielding, low BA and too many strike outs.  Not worth 20 plus million a year for 4 or more years.  I know he's not his brother but BJ/Melvin fell off a cliff pretty quickly.  His overall year was good but his month with the team wasn't that impressive.

Well we will agree to disagree then. 7 HR in 27 games (on pace for 42 over a full season) and a 137 OPS+ (better than it was in Detroit) were definitely impressive to me. You are right that his defense was bad, and he does strike out a lot, but when he hits for that much power and gets on base at a very respectable clip, I think it's worth the money. 

There's not really any better options out there for this team. 

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Well we will agree to disagree then. 7 HR in 27 games (on pace for 42 over a full season) and a 137 OPS+ (better than it was in Detroit) were definitely impressive to me. You are right that his defense was bad, and he does strike out a lot, but when he hits for that much power and gets on base at a very respectable clip, I think it's worth the money. 

There's not really any better options out there for this team. 

He is exactly who this team needs.  The only thing that held him back was that Trout's production fell off so he didn't have as many RBI ops.  No fault of his own.

Im still not convinced he will, not if he wants to stay.   I think if he does and if the team wants him to it shouldnt get that far.  Most of the time when a player opts out the team simply says bye bye and wont be held over a barrel, at least that seems how we have been in the past. 
Hes not the only OF out there, not even likely the best though in that discussion. 
Well see i guess. 

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

"Increasingly likely" based on what, exactly? 

I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, but @Jeff Fletcher said pretty much the exact opposite thing, and he actually writes for the Angels. I'll take his word over Morosi's. 

My opinion was based on talking to a friend of his and some other "industry" types aware of how the market looks. 

I think either possibility is strong enough that we shouldn't be surprised either way. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

My opinion was based on talking to a friend of his and some other "industry" types aware of how the market looks. 

I think either possibility is strong enough that we shouldn't be surprised either way. 

@Jeff Fletcher  Any thought on whether the Angels might be proactive and talk to his agent about an extension of the old contract (maybe a year) or do you think they will wait and see what he does first?