• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

1 minute ago, arch stanton said:

Engines are built in modules and get torn down and rebuilt on a schedule. One that gets damaged would be replaced 

any idea how long something like that would generally take?

4 hours ago, Alfred O. Griffin said:

Jeff Van Gundy could have told this person to stay away from a spinning jet engine.

But could Van Gundy tell this person how to tell if the engine was running, how to communicate with the crew if unsure, and where the actual danger zone around that engine begins?

20 minutes ago, Taylor said:

You and Jason get a three-quarter chub every time Black people kill other Black people. It's kind of weird.

That’s most of the murders in the country. That much blood flow to my wiener would cause it to rip apart. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

And all of those murder victims are killed by other Black people?

It's convenient that you get to ignore the sick cancer of gun culture in our country because you get giddy that a lot of Black people die by guns.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

And all of those murder victims are killed by other Black people?

It's convenient that you get to ignore the sick cancer of gun culture in our country because you get giddy that a lot of Black people die by guns.

Generally speaking, all races are murdered by other people of the same race. The cultural of violence in the inner cities is much more complex than simple “gun culture”. 

Edited by Jason

21 hours ago, Jason said:

Generally speaking, all races are murdered by other people of the same race. The cultural of violence in the inner cities is much more complex than simple “gun culture”. 

Then why doesn't this happen in any other country?

Black on Black, white on Black, Black on Asian, white on Asian, Dodger fan on Giants fan ... all gun violence is a problem, no matter where it occurs.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Then why doesn't this happen in any other country?

Black on Black, white on Black, Black on Asian, white on Asian, Dodger fan on Giants fan ... all gun violence is a problem, no matter where it occurs.

This is an interesting question and one that I have pondered and investigated. It isn't about the guns. Many other countries have more weapons per capita but a far lower murder rate. It is something else.

Culture? You have a strong culture of the individual, most other countries have more of a community focus. In Europe we have free health care and state pensions and state owned utilities in some places too, and we love it. We have an attitude that we are all in it together, whereas in the US you have more of an attitude that everything is down to you as an individual. This naturally breeds discontent among you in the US, and breeds social harmony in Europe.

Depression Medication? RFK Jr has some fantastic research showing the prevalence of SSRI's being taken by the people involved in these shootings. The US has an enormous problem with it - interesting article on SSRI's and other meds in the US here: https://bpr.berkeley.edu/2021/11/07/americas-epidemic-of-antidepressants/

I don't know what the answer is, but I do think those are two very relevant factors in your comparatively extreme levels of person to person violence.

Honestly @Taylor, I think you were born in the wrong country.

11 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

This is an interesting question and one that I have pondered and investigated. It isn't about the guns. Many other countries have more weapons per capita but a far lower murder rate. It is something else.

Culture? You have a strong culture of the individual, most other countries have more of a community focus. In Europe we have free health care and state pensions and state owned utilities in some places too, and we love it. We have an attitude that we are all in it together, whereas in the US you have more of an attitude that everything is down to you as an individual. This naturally breeds discontent among you in the US, and breeds social harmony in Europe.

Depression Medication? RFK Jr has some fantastic research showing the prevalence of SSRI's being taken by the people involved in these shootings. The US has an enormous problem with it - interesting article on SSRI's and other meds in the US here: https://bpr.berkeley.edu/2021/11/07/americas-epidemic-of-antidepressants/

I don't know what the answer is, but I do think those are two very relevant factors in your comparatively extreme levels of person to person violence.

Honestly @Taylor, I think you were born in the wrong country.

I think, per capita, we have the most guns but I agree that culture is the biggest driving factor when it comes to violence. If you remove suicides from the numbers then the firearm death rate isn't all that large considering how many guns we own here. Remove inner city gang violence and this isn't even an issue. The inner cities have a bad combo of socio-economic issues and a culture that embraces violence and crime. That is the area you need to deal with and if it means locking criminals up then so be it. There should be stiff and severe penalties for committing criminal acts of violence using a firearm.  

7 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

What the fuck is "weapons per capita?" Are you factoring in nunchucks and ninja stars?

39 minutes ago, St1ck said:

What the fuck is "weapons per capita?" Are you factoring in nunchucks and ninja stars?

I’d have to assume he’s kidding. Because we’re definitely #1 in guns per capita, with Yemen in second at less than half of us (they’re doing great btw). So unless everyone in Serbia with a gun also carries like two knives on them at all times (totally possible), and everyone in the US has given up on non-firearm weapons (we haven’t), I’d have to assume this can’t be true. 

Also, gonna be real pissed if I find out everyone in Tajikistan carries a crossbow and two swords on them as a matter of custom.

4 hours ago, Don said:

I’d have to assume he’s kidding. Because we’re definitely #1 in guns per capita, with Yemen in second at less than half of us (they’re doing great btw). So unless everyone in Serbia with a gun also carries like two knives on them at all times (totally possible), and everyone in the US has given up on non-firearm weapons (we haven’t), I’d have to assume this can’t be true. 

Also, gonna be real pissed if I find out everyone in Tajikistan carries a crossbow and two swords on them as a matter of custom.

I wasn't kidding, I had bad information. Not afraid to admit when I get something wrong.

The US is miles ahead on guns per capita, but it's not so much the case with the percentage of households with firearms. Yes, the US is still no1 for that stat too, but only by a couple of percentage points. US is 42%, Finland 39%, Bosnia 35%, Switzerland 29%, Norway 26% and so on.

But the murder rate does not correlate: Murder rate per 100,000:

US - 8.5

Finland - 1.6

Bosnia - 1.3

Swiss - 0.5

Norway - 0.6

The USA is also 55th in the world for murder rate, yet no1 in the world for firearms per capita.

It's not the firearms, it's the people holding them.

*links to data (it is not exhaustive)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent_of_households_with_guns_by_country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate