• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

37 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

We also have a lot of assholes behind the wheel.  Right before the pandemic we were in Europe on a two lane road and one of the lanes had a sign overhead that said there was an accident up ahead and to keep the right lane open for emergency vehicles. Not one car was in that right lane and everyone was sitting in the stopped left lane not honking their horn or getting mad. In the last few months I’ve been almost ran into or run off the road by by people who refuse to merge like the other 90% of us and in a few cases people who were driving on the shoulder just to get 20 feet further up. 

I’ve also noticed more people riding at a high speed on electric bikes. This morning a few kids almost ran over small kids on the beach trail. Posted speed limit is 10mph when there’s no walkers or runners and 5mph when there are and there’s inevitably always a few who ride like they’re the only people there. This summer as beach traffic picks up I expect there will be some nasty accidents involving electric bikes and pedestrians.  

Just posting this makes me feel old but I think some of it is just slowing down and not being in a hurry as you get older. That said I feel like America has a disproportionate share of narcissistic assholes among first world countries.  

Speed limits are pointless, people will just go whatever speed they are comfortable going. Yeah, some people are assholes and that’s part of it but we are enabling them. It’s stupid to put bikes and pedestrians on the same confined pathway. 

43 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

We also have a lot of assholes behind the wheel.  Right before the pandemic we were in Europe on a two lane road and one of the lanes had a sign overhead that said there was an accident up ahead and to keep the right lane open for emergency vehicles. Not one car was in that right lane and everyone was sitting in the stopped left lane not honking their horn or getting mad. In the last few months I’ve been almost ran into or run off the road by by people who refuse to merge like the other 90% of us and in a few cases people who were driving on the shoulder just to get 20 feet further up. 

I’ve also noticed more people riding at a high speed on electric bikes. This morning a few kids almost ran over small kids on the beach trail. Posted speed limit is 10mph when there’s no walkers or runners and 5mph when there are and there’s inevitably always a few who ride like they’re the only people there. This summer as beach traffic picks up I expect there will be some nasty accidents involving electric bikes and pedestrians.  

Just posting this makes me feel old but I think some of it is just slowing down and not being in a hurry as you get older. That said I feel like America has a disproportionate share of narcissistic assholes among first world countries.  

I agree with some of this. People are nuts nowadays on the roads and generally distracted at all times. While technology deserves a lot of credit part of blames a legal system that doesn’t punish reckless driving enough and immigrants have brought a lot of the lawlessness that occurs in their countries here. Nobody ever visits China or Mexico and compliments the politeness of their drivers. 

2 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

I agree with some of this. People are nuts nowadays on the roads and generally distracted at all times. While technology deserves a lot of credit part of blames a legal system that doesn’t punish reckless driving enough and immigrants have brought a lot of the lawlessness that occurs in their countries here. Nobody ever visits China or Mexico and compliments the politeness of their drivers. 

You don’t need to use a car in China

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Speed limits are pointless, people will just go whatever speed they are comfortable going. Yeah, some people are assholes and that’s part of it but we are enabling them. It’s stupid to put bikes and pedestrians on the same confined pathway. 

I’m not a speeder but I do get annoyed at these ass hat libs riding their bikes on major highways. Dudes get dressed up like it’s the Tour de France and they ain’t got the strength and stamina to ride up a mole hill. 

12 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Lol, you have such a poisonous world view.

Public transportation in theory works. Unfortunately the reality is all are expensive as hell and the tax payers end  up getting screwed. It’s a lot like single payer healthcare. Both work for the have nots getting it for free but the middle class ultimately get crushed. 

1 hour ago, Kotchman said:

Public transportation in theory works. Unfortunately the reality is all are expensive as hell and the tax payers end  up getting screwed. It’s a lot like single payer healthcare. Both work for the have nots getting it for free but the middle class ultimately get crushed. 

It’s actually the opposite. Road infrastructure is incredibly expensive to maintain, not to mention all the pollution from the tires and the break dust etc. Also all the time we spend in traffic and a good chunk of traffic deaths are a direct result of a lack of investment in public transportation and terrible city design. All that lost time and those deaths represent trillions of dollars in lost economic activity.

12 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It’s actually the opposite. Road infrastructure is incredibly expensive to maintain, not to mention all the pollution from the tires and the break dust etc. Also all the time we spend in traffic and a good chunk of traffic deaths are a direct result of a lack of investment in public transportation and terrible city design. All that lost time and those deaths represent trillions of dollars in lost economic activity.

High speed rail has the same issues without the individual freedom. There’s a huge start up cost and just like roads they don’t maintain themselves. 

1 hour ago, Kotchman said:

High speed rail has the same issues without the individual freedom. There’s a huge start up cost and just like roads they don’t maintain themselves. 

High speed rail is its own issue. Investing in non-car-centric infrastructure didn’t have to mean expensive high speed rail.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

High speed rail is its own issue. Investing in non-car-centric infrastructure didn’t have to mean expensive high speed rail.

I can agree with that. I don’t particularly like the current city bus systems we currently use. In kc is basically allows poor people to ride around and steal. I wish we did have a mass Transport for middle class Americans to move about the city. Although I do think a free market solution is probably best. 

23 hours ago, Alfred O. Griffin said:

Yes, but many people also died tragically in a car today, which albeit tragic, is actually a universally accepted risk in modern society. As such, I’d like to remind anyone here that’s thinking of advocating for stronger gun control that you must also accept the logically inconsistent, emotionally void and spiritually lacking parody that we need to ban cars as well.

As such, these adults and children that were shot while shopping for clothes had already taken a risk in driving to the outlet mall, so they (and/or their parents/guardians) should be completely fine with having their flesh obliterated by bullets fired from a semiautomatic gun in the hands of a lunatic.

Will you ge off of your high horse?