• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols is the worst player in baseball (technically)

krAbs

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

On a purely statistical basis, moving Albert down in the order would account for approximately 2 runs over the course of a season relative to what we have elsewhere.  

Replacing him with a slightly below avg hitter would amount to about 20 runs or 2 wins.  (a league avg or slightly below type hitter at the DH spot is about replacement level).  

Point being that if they are going to play him, it doesn't really matter where in the lineup they put him.  

And watch as we finish 2 games out of the wild card...

12 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Love it when someone goes all Sam Kinison in Back To School. 

Come to think of it, even he and Rodney Dangerfield, when alive, could have beaten that throw to 2B last night on the bobbled GB up the middle. 

That was something to see. Pujols wasn't even half way to 2nd when the fielder got to the ball. 

Up to this point, Albert was just a huge disappointment. He was a Ferrari you couldn't afford that, for whatever reason, couldn't live up to the name. It made you look badass parking it in your driveway but it didn't really do as much for you as you hoped. Now that thing can't drive 15 miles without breaking down and needing to be hauled off to the garage, yet we still use it as our daily driver.

5 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Up to this point, Albert was just a huge disappointment. He was a Ferrari you couldn't afford that, for whatever reason, couldn't live up to the name. It made you look badass parking it in your driveway but it didn't really do as much for you as you hoped. Now that thing can't drive 15 miles without breaking down and needing to be hauled off to the garage, yet we still use it as our daily driver.

Not since it was parked in a driveway in St. Louis.

I have a historical love for Pujols and I am not mad at him.  I think he is trying.  My annoyance is the culture.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with addressing it.  Get real.  Drop him in the lineup and start engaging in conversations to make a plan to resolve this.

What's the plan?  And I get ripped if I suggest somebody should be asking that question.

For those of us who were wondering, Pujols is officially .1 WAR better than Blanton was for us in 2013 (don't worry, we have PLENTY of games left, and Pujols is for sure on pace to pass him). He is about a game and a half LESS valuable than Wells was in 2011. He is about 1 WAR worse for us than GMJ was in his worst year (2008).

3 minutes ago, krAbs said:

For those of us who were wondering, Pujols is officially .1 WAR better than Blanton was for us in 2013 (don't worry, we have PLENTY of games left, and Pujols is for sure on pace to pass him). He is about a game and a half LESS valuable than Wells was in 2011. He is about 1 WAR worse for us than GMJ was in his worst year (2008).

WAR doesn't even exist. It's a chemical created in the lab of DuPont while they were making those spatulas that don't melt.

dale-gribble-photo-u1?w=650&q=50&fm=jpg&

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I have a historical love for Pujols and I am not mad at him.  I think he is trying.  My annoyance is the culture.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with addressing it.  Get real.  Drop him in the lineup and start engaging in conversations to make a plan to resolve this.

What's the plan?  And I get ripped if I suggest somebody should be asking that question.

Right now the plan is close your eyes, cover your ears and go "LALALALALALALALALA" until it goes away.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

On a purely statistical basis, moving Albert down in the order would account for approximately 2 runs over the course of a season relative to what we have elsewhere.  

Replacing him with a slightly below avg hitter would amount to about 20 runs or 2 wins.  (a league avg or slightly below type hitter at the DH spot is about replacement level).  

Point being that if they are going to play him, it doesn't really matter where in the lineup they put him.  

This is where statistics have lied to you. And he doesn't need to be replaced by a league average hitter, the Angels have two guys above league average to hit behind Trout in Cron and Simmons. 

Regardless, Pujols has an ops+ of 74. You could bat Ben Revere in his place and not see any drop off, nor would you see Revere thrown out like last night on a shortstop error. Once on the basepaths Pujols is a boat anchor, unable to generate any extra bases with his legs.

He is a detriment of huge proportions in the #3 spot. He is the designated out. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

This is where statistics have lied to you. And he doesn't need to be replaced by a league average hitter, the Angels have two guys above league average to hit behind Trout in Cron and Simmons. 

Regardless, Pujols has an ops+ of 74. You could bat Ben Revere in his place and not see any drop off, nor would you see Revere thrown out like last night on a shortstop error. Once on the basepaths Pujols is a boat anchor, unable to generate any extra bases with his legs.

He is a detriment of huge proportions in the #3 spot. He is the designated out. 

I would actually be really curious if someone could build a machine where you simulate a season with different positions. like...take whatever hits or outs they got, in whatever order, play it again, and see how many games difference you have. Extrapolate based on like...a 14 game average (7 before, 7 after) to account for extra at-bats.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Right now the plan is close your eyes, cover your ears and go "LALALALALALALALALA" until it goes away.

Exactly.  The old world is we had to ONLY live with storylines being fed to us through media, where that data was hand prepared for marketing and PR.

We still have that channel, but we also have an entirely wide open "forum" of digital communication now that mostly exists because we were not satisfied with the drip drip of PR and controlled marketing.

To me, a huge question is how the media is going to respond to the changing world.  Their utility will becoming obsolete if they are not going to push for content the customers want.

I don't know a baseball fan following the Angels that doesnt want to know what the plan is for Pujols and nobody will ask the question.

There is zero personal disrespect here for a common contributor to this forum in that field directly.  Zero.

The issue is culture in that world.  When will the culture change?

Will it change before that channel becomes nothing more than a score or transaction announcement channel with two blah blah quotes?

I don't think entrenched fans will stay interested in a media channel that doesn't go get the content people want.

I wonder what the most money a team has had to eat by releasing a player? After this year, Albert is still owed $124 million, including the $10MM "personal services" contract. Obviously the Angels aren't going to release, at least not within the next year or two. The next stage would be ongoing mystery injuries, then benching, then maybe early retirement/buyout.
But I'm thinking that 2017 is the last year he's going to play a full season, unless he bounces back next year.

That said, as I wrote that I had the thought that Scioscia might only see "19 HR, 79 RBI." By year's end, that could be "25 HR, and 95 RBI" - which he'll think, "he's still a run producer." So until Eppler steps in, Mike "it's still 1985" Scioscia won't bench Pujols until he has to be carted up to the plate.

2 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Even someone who is brilliant & is right most of the time like Scioscia, can also be wrong about things too ! such as batting Pujols 3rd.

but who knows maybe if they make the playoffs, Pujols will bat .300/400/.500 in the playoffs & we'll all be eating  crow.

giphy.gif