• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 fixable fast

Dtwncbad

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I actually really like our baseline for '18 and don't think we need to do as much as some are suggesting, or as much as could do with our newly freed payroll. In the bigger AL West picture, the Rangers and Mariners are closer to sinking back to the bottom, the A's can become into a very good team very quickly, and the Astros will reign supreme for at least another year or two before their youth starts getting expensive or hitting contract years.

The Angels for the foreseeable future look like they're comfortably in the middle - they have enough talent in-house to have a shot year in and year out, enough free payroll to address needs year to year, and a farm system moving in the right direction. We're more sustainable now than we've been in a long, long time, and it's a very Yankees/Cardinals approach to running an org. It just takes time and patience to build back into that sustainability.  

At a bare minimum, in my opinion, we need a lead-off hitter, a healthy, durable SP, a utility infielder, and a vet reliever, or two. Of those, I imagine one is a significant investment, the others filled cheaply. 

Next offseason brings potential FAs like Harper, Machado, Keuchel, Kershaw, Donaldson, Blackmon, Jones, Pollock, Heyward, Harvey, Dozier, LeMahieu and I do think Arte will have some interest in adding a high-profile FA before Trout's contract is up to ease any potential PR sting should Trout leave via FA, and I think next year's class offers enough depth for them to wait one more year to spend big. 

This. I know everyone is sick of losing/mediocrity. But i say (to the team) be patient. Next years FA crop is better (which doesnt guarantee anything). More important, we'll have a better idea which pitchers we can rely on, on our farm should either be closer to producing some help, or at least have more value in trade (with the lower level guys getting more experience).

28 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I posted in another I said I would claim Stanton in a heartbeat.   I just would be reluctant to give up too much talent for him.  But I would take his co tract in a heartbeat

He will be owed either 7 years/$218 million or 8 years/$233 million AFTER 2020 (opt out decision then), and will be 31 at that point (2021).    Can't see him opting out, because who would pay him more than that for being a guy who is a great run producer but will be starting to decline defensively and doesn't steal very many bases.    That's a lot of money to leave on the table.   Of course, what Harper and Machado get paid after 2018 could well be the bar setter for position players like Stanton, Trout, and Arenado after 2020.

Also, will Arte Moreno have NOT learned his lesson about bringing in HUGE salary guys from other teams?    Granted, Stanton is only 28 in 2018.

How many HUGE salary guys from other teams have ultimately worked out well enough here?

49 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

This. I know everyone is sick of losing/mediocrity. But i say (to the team) be patient. Next years FA crop is better (which doesnt guarantee anything). More important, we'll have a better idea which pitchers we can rely on, on our farm should either be closer to producing some help, or at least have more value in trade (with the lower level guys getting more experience).

I know us Angel fans are suffering a bit from PTSD when it comes to cheap stopgap vets lately, but they may be the best value in the current marketplace.
Sometimes vets actually do get better with age, and sometimes those low-risk vet contracts do work out well for the team. We've had some rough luck recently, but it's only been amplified by either injuries to our core players, or underwhelming campaigns from our own players. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

He will be owed either 7 years/$218 million or 8 years/$233 million AFTER 2020 (opt out decision then), and will be 31 at that point (2021).    Can't see him opting out, because who would pay him more than that for being a guy who is a great run producer but will be starting to decline defensively and doesn't steal very many bases.    That's a lot of money to leave on the table.   Of course, what Harper and Machado get paid after 2018 could well be the bar setter for position players like Stanton, Trout, and Arenado after 2020.

Also, will Arte Moreno have NOT learned his lesson about bringing in HUGE salary guys from other teams?    Granted, Stanton is only 28 in 2018.

How many HUGE salary guys from other teams have ultimately worked out well enough here?

What is his as? I care more on the constraints on the salary cap.  I think his aav is closer 25 aav.

34 minutes ago, heRo said:

NO Upton.  NO NO NO.  He may be my least favorite player ever. I've watched him on the Tigers and I'm telling you, we will rue the day we sign him.  Don't believe the hype. I heard that he  had a bad attitude, was lazy, etc but you have to see it to believe it.  As soon as he got a fat payday from the Tigers he put up a whopping .650 OPS in the first half of the year.  But that wasn't the worst part. Watching him lazily jog after fly balls that went over his head to the warning track became a regular occurrence. It's maddening how much talent he has and how little he tries to use it.  I hope he opts out,  and goes to the Yankees or Dodgers.  NO!

I remember the same arguments about GA and I'd love him back. 

I'd settle for Lorenzo Cain in left but we need another MOTO bat. 

1 hour ago, heRo said:

NO Upton.  NO NO NO.  He may be my least favorite player ever. I've watched him on the Tigers and I'm telling you, we will rue the day we sign him.  Don't believe the hype. I heard that he  had a bad attitude, was lazy, etc but you have to see it to believe it.  As soon as he got a fat payday from the Tigers he put up a whopping .650 OPS in the first half of the year.  But that wasn't the worst part. Watching him lazily jog after fly balls that went over his head to the warning track became a regular occurrence. It's maddening how much talent he has and how little he tries to use it.  I hope he opts out,  and goes to the Yankees or Dodgers.  NO!

Kudos to saying rue the day.

I hate to say it, but ive heard hes got baggage too...which sucks, because i think hes a stud and would love to habe him here. But i have a bad feeling hed go a bit tits up when rhe final contract is signed 

Having followed the Royals for a while I think Moustakas would be a good signing and then leave Cowart at 2B...he appears much better prepared at the plate this time around, his defense is solid.  Moustakas would add solid defense and more pop to the middle of the order...though his OBP is low.

Though many won't agree I'd resign Maybin for 1 year as a stop gap till Hermosillo or possibly Jones - he seems to be coming fast - is ready.  If Maybin could hit .250/.350 as a lead off hitter and steal 30+ he'd be an asset.

Maybin

Trout

Moustakas

Cron (his defense has improved a lot and his bat is better since he's playing everyday)

Simmons

Albertross Pujols (he's going to be here no matter what) 

Calhoun

Maldonado / Perez (Maldonado needs to catch less - he's really wearing down this season)

Cowart

Better depth offensively and it would be a solid defensive team.  Have to count on Cron and Cowart developing...plus Calhoun should hit .280+.

Valbuena, Fletcher, Revere (resign him - speed, defense and adequate replacement part)...Valbuena is here for another year no matter what...possibly sign another backup if Fletcher isn't ready to be a utility player.

Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker, JC, Bridwell, Meyer, Tropeano, Scribner, Long, Barria....enough arms there to compete...Eppler will probably add a few more to this list...wouldn't waste money on a high profile starter.  Canning could make the leap to the majors too.

Bedrosian, Middleton, Parker, Petit and any of the above starters that aren't in the rotation...etc. - good start to the pen but go after either Wade Davis or Greg Holland to anchor the bullpen.

And don't trade any top prospects...especially Adell, Jones or Marsh.

17 hours ago, heRo said:

He currently has a 4.2 WAR this year.  He must be doing a bunch of things right for that.

30 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don't know his price, but he wants to play in So Cal, the Dodgers have Turner.  He will be an Angel and we won't have to be the highest bidder.  This is assuming the Angels have any interest in him. 

I'd love to see a quote that says that as ive not see anything to suggest thats true at all.  If it is then it changes things obviously. 

31 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don't know his price, but he wants to play in So Cal, the Dodgers have Turner.  He will be an Angel and we won't have to be the highest bidder.  This is assuming the Angels have any interest in him. 

Why is it believed he wants to play in SoCal?

21 minutes ago, floplag said:

I'd love to see a quote that says that as ive not see anything to suggest thats true at all.  If it is then it changes things obviously. 

20 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Why is it believed he wants to play in SoCal?

Probably someone Googled and saw he was born here so they made an assumption.