• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 fixable fast

Dtwncbad

The Angels will have money this offseason.

2 significant signings, one starting pitcher and one position player.

Signing a better pitcher frees up a number of back of the rotation arms to trade to address another position.

That makes two position upgrades.

Optimism says Cowart can check off another position in need.

That should improve the team enough to put them in the race at the trade deadline to pursue a targeted improvement.

So come August 2018, the Angels should be on the race with a stronger starting rotation and three significant positional upgrades (plus Cowart helping potentially).

Here are my choices to fill in the names.

Tanaka and Hosmer in free agency.

Trade pitching depth for an outfielder like Domingo Santana (Brewers have like 38 projectable OF bodies).

At trade deadline, trade for half a season of Manny Machado for the title run!

Simmons SS

Trout CF

Machado 3B

Hosmer 1B

Pujols DH

Santana LF

Calhoun RF

Maldonado C

Cowart 2B

Tanaka, Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker.

59 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The Angels will have money this offseason.

2 significant signings, one starting pitcher and one position player.

Signing a better pitcher frees up a number of back of the rotation arms to trade to address another position.

That makes two position upgrades.

Optimism says Cowart can check off another position in need.

That should improve the team enough to put them in the race at the trade deadline to pursue a targeted improvement.

So come August 2018, the Angels should be on the race with a stronger starting rotation and three significant positional upgrades (plus Cowart helping potentially).

Here are my choices to fill in the names.

Tanaka and Hosmer in free agency.

Trade pitching depth for an outfielder like Domingo Santana (Brewers have like 38 projectable OF bodies).

At trade deadline, trade for half a season of Manny Machado for the title run!

Simmons SS

Trout CF

Machado 3B

Hosmer 1B

Pujols DH

Santana LF

Calhoun RF

Maldonado C

Cowart 2B

Tanaka, Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker.

Only three guarantees in that lineup 

Trout

Simmons

Calhoun

*Pujols :)

* Piching is a crapshoot 

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I'd rather sign Moustakas (albeit an overpymt, just not a massive one ala Pujols and Hackilton), since no 3B exist in the org.  Thaiss could end up being another Hosmer.  

I put as much faith into our prospects as anyone, but we need to be careful to not expect too much from them right off the bat. Thaiss could end up being another Hosmer sounds an awful lot like C.J. Cron could be another Billy Butler or Mark Trumbo. 

As we could be seeing with Cowart right now, even when they hit the majors it may take them two or three seasons to even produce on a daily basis, let alone that of their ceiling.

Their upside should be considered, but in terms of the the 2018 roster, no one prospect is really pushing us into that position yet. Make one solid offensive investment and roll the dice on a stopgap or two. 

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I'd rather sign Moustakas (albeit an overpymt, just not a massive one ala Pujols and Hackilton), since no 3B exist in the org.    Thaiss could end up being another Hosmer.  

Moustakas already sounds like a nickname youd give him.

If he comes over here, and sucks, im calling pujstakas.

I think Tanaka is still under contract next year, and even if he wasn't, just say no. He is toast, and will join our long list of TJ surgeries.

I also chuckle when you say trade pitching depth. Have you learned nothing over the past two seasons? No such thing as pitching depth. 

At this point, I tell Eppler to get creative.....really freakin creative. Use the newfound financial freedom he's been blessed with, BUT NOT IN FREE AGENCY. 

I'm talking about building a winner off other teams financial constraints.

1. Slot Cowart back at 3B. He's too good defensively to pass on that. Don't mess with a good thing, just let him play gold glove level 3B and NOT simply passable 2B.

2.  Trade for Dee Gordon at 2B (take on salary, don't overspend in prospects).

3. Trade for Justin Upton (Tigers are looking to get under the tax threshold, and while it isn't being reported, they've discussed Upton).

4. Trade for Adrian Gonzalez. The Dodgers no longer have a spot for him, and freeing up money in the final year of his contract will help them get their finances back to a manageable level. Plus he wouldn't be blocking Thaiss because he hits FA after next year.

2B Gordon, CF Trout, LF Upton, 1B Gonzalez, DH Pujols, SS Simmons, RF Calhoun, 3B Cowart, C Maldonado.

Boom, we have a good offensive unit to match our pitching staff, we aren't blocking prospects (Hermosillo to replace Calhoun, Fletcher at UT, Ward at C, Thaiss at 1B, we are expensive but only through 2020. Leaves lots of freedom for other prospects and the financial capability of retaining Trout long term once we show that he will be surrounded by so much young talent.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

I put as much faith into our prospects as anyone, but we need to be careful to not expect too much from them right off the bat. Thaiss could end up being another Hosmer sounds an awful lot like C.J. Cron could be another Billy Butler or Mark Trumbo. 

As we could be seeing with Cowart right now, even when they hit the majors it may take them two or three seasons to even produce on a daily basis, let alone that of their ceiling.

Their upside should be considered, but in terms of the the 2018 roster, no one prospect is really pushing us into that position yet. Make one solid offensive investment and roll the dice on a stopgap or two. 

And this is exactly why Eppler has to manage risk. If you put too many prospects or untested players into battle there is too much combined risk from all of those players that can sabotage a season.

Cowart should be our one and only prospect newbie heading into 2018 IMHO. He has a decent floor and should produce close to league average offensively out of 2B (which is, in part, why they moved him over in the first place).

The rest they need to find reasonable solutions.

9 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

At this point, I tell Eppler to get creative.....really freakin creative. Use the newfound financial freedom he's been blessed with, BUT NOT IN FREE AGENCY. 

I'm talking about building a winner off other teams financial constraints.

1. Slot Cowart back at 3B. He's too good defensively to pass on that. Don't mess with a good thing, just let him play gold glove level 3B and NOT simply passable 2B.

2.  Trade for Dee Gordon at 2B (take on salary, don't overspend in prospects).

3. Trade for Justin Upton (Tigers are looking to get under the tax threshold, and while it isn't being reported, they've discussed Upton).

4. Trade for Adrian Gonzalez. The Dodgers no longer have a spot for him, and freeing up money in the final year of his contract will help them get their finances back to a manageable level. Plus he wouldn't be blocking Thaiss because he hits FA after next year.

2B Gordon, CF Trout, LF Upton, 1B Gonzalez, DH Pujols, SS Simmons, RF Calhoun, 3B Cowart, C Maldonado.

Boom, we have a good offensive unit to match our pitching staff, we aren't blocking prospects (Hermosillo to replace Calhoun, Fletcher at UT, Ward at C, Thaiss at 1B, we are expensive but only through 2020. Leaves lots of freedom for other prospects and the financial capability of retaining Trout long term once we show that he will be surrounded by so much young talent.

I agree with this strategy.  Free Agency is getting too expensive and too advantageous for the player with "opt out clauses" to have any value to the clubs.  Dodgers rebuilt quickly because they took bad contracts from the Red Sox.  Maybe we can do the same.

6 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I agree with this strategy.  Free Agency is getting too expensive and too advantageous for the player with "opt out clauses" to have any value to the clubs.  Dodgers rebuilt quickly because they took bad contracts from the Red Sox.  Maybe we can do the same.

Sounds good, but what are we using for trade chips? 

9 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Seriously?  The Dodgers are not good BECAUSE they took a couple of bad contracts.  Look at that team with an honest eye and tell me their greatness is from taking bad contracts.

The Dodgers are good because thry had a plan and are executing it. They spent a boat load if money immediately by taking on bad contracts and signing premier free agents. These moves were designed to build a contender immediately while allowing what prospects they had to develop. In the mean time, these "bad" contracts gave them the opportunity to properly stock the farm system. As the prospects make their way to the majors, they'll be able to replace expensive veterans with expiring contracts and bring their finances back under control.

This plan partly works for the Angels. Gordon will cost one or two decent prospects, but not anything like Adell, Jones, Marsh, Thaiss or Canning. More likely something along the lines of Fletcher, Bridwell and Paredes.

Gonzalez really wouldn't cost anything at all as long as we take on his contract (1 year).  Maybe a projectable reliever.

Upton is the one that would cost in prospects, but not as much as you'd think because the Tigers are desperate to get under the luxury tax. There's nothing like paying tax penalties while your team is stuck in a "rebuild". You'd take on his contract, and you're looking at trading one of Barria or Long, one of Jewell or Castillo, and one of Montgomery or Lund. The Tigers would be getting a mid-rotation starter, a backend starter and lower end starting OF or very good fourth outfielder. 

The Angels really could pull this off without sacrificing their best prospects. They'd be spending money, but not sacrificing draft picks or top prospects. 

Not only that, but the Angels would be able to recoup some of the lower end prospects they'd lose in these trades when they trade Cron, Valbuena and Calhoun when Hermosillo is ready. 

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Seriously?  The Dodgers are not good BECAUSE they took a couple of bad contracts.  Look at that team with an honest eye and tell me their greatness is from taking bad contracts.

I could be totally mistaken, but i tbought i read recently the dodgers recieved some of their better prospects as part of some of these bad contracts? Am i totally wrong about that?

Either way, kudos to the dodgers for what theyve built. But the money is the big part of it. Yes, they deserve credit for their young guys. But for all the seagars and bellingers, there are the other guys that would cripple any other team. Kershaw is worth the 30 mill. But any other team still paying agons money, as well as crawford (this year), ethier, still money to kemp etc wouldnt have been able to have kept kershaw for that money.

35 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I could be totally mistaken, but i tbought i read recently the dodgers recieved some of their better prospects as part of some of these bad contracts? Am i totally wrong about that?

That is exactly what they did.  That is what made the deal they made so genius.  They took on huge terrible contracts, but they also got a bunch of high end prospects with those contracts.

3 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

That is exactly what they did.  That is what made the deal they made so genius.  They took on huge terrible contracts, but they also got a bunch of high end prospects with those contracts.

Name the high impact players on their roster that they acquired in taking on bad contracts.

5 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

No trades for bad contracts.  It is time for Arte to open his wallet for FA again.

These are the three musts IMO:

Mike Moustakas for 3B
JD Martinez for LF (if Upton opts out of his Tigers contract, he is another possibility)
Lance Lynn for SP

Don't take on other's bad contracts and get prospects for it! Sign bad contracts and give up draft picks and signing pool money!

3 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Don't take on other's bad contracts and get prospects for it! Sign bad contracts and give up draft picks and signing pool money!

You aren't getting any good prospects for trading for someone like Gordon.  You are just getting Gordon.  A player in decline.

13 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I thought i heard that. Im too lazy to search, but do you know the specifics, as in who was aquired that way?

I give credit where its due. They gamed the system. Good for them. Obviously not everyone can do it because they have so much more money. But if they can afford it, its very smart.