• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 fixable fast

Dtwncbad

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

I thought i heard that. Im too lazy to search, but do you know the specifics, as in who was aquired that way?

I give credit where its due. They gamed the system. Good for them. Obviously not everyone can do it because they have so much more money. But if they can afford it, its very smart.

I don't remember specifics, I just remember reading that too.  I thought someone posted an article or something about it here before. 

7 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Don't take on other's bad contracts and get prospects for it! Sign bad contracts and give up draft picks and signing pool money!

The Dodgers got exactly zero minor leaguers in taking on half a billion dollars in bad contracts with Crawford, Beckett, and Gonzales.  So I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

Nobody ever gets a legitimate top prospect to take a contract.  Maybe a marginal prospect. . .

Why not just sign a good player at a fair market price instead of clogging the mlb roster with poor performers that are expensive in hopes the marginal prospect somehow turns into superman?

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

I googled pederson, seagar and bellinger, and it says the dodgers drafted all 3. I stand corrected.

This could be one of those things that we've seen posted so many times here on the board as a "fact" or what someone remembers, that we ended up believing it.  If that is the case, my bad in this thread.

Of course, it goes to show that trading for bad contracts like Gordon's really has no benefit when it comes to a player like him.

13 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The Dodgers got exactly zero minor leaguers in taking on half a billion dollars in bad contracts with Crawford, Beckett, and Gonzales.  So I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

Nobody ever gets a legitimate top prospect to take a contract.  Maybe a marginal prospect. . .

Why not just sign a good player at a fair market price instead of clogging the mlb roster with poor performers that are expensive in hopes the marginal prospect somehow turns into superman?

Moustakas won't sign at a fair market price and it will keep us from signing players when this team is actually ready to compete.

I'm not really for taking in bad contracts. But that includes long term FA signings. I'm against forfeiting slot money. If we're going to take on a bad contact I'd rather take a chance on a marginal prospect than giving up slot money.

There is a Moustakas available every year. No need to lock this particular one up right now.

11 hours ago, ettin said:

He has a decent floor and should produce close to league average offensively out of 2B (which is, in part, why they moved him over in the first place).

They moved him to second because he was blocked at 3B and second base has been a black hole since Howie was traded. He is and should be playing 3B, his arm is wasted at 2B.

12 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

3. Trade for Justin Upton (Tigers are looking to get under the tax threshold, and while it isn't being reported, they've discussed Upton).

I hope this is true. Upton with 4/88.5 remaining on his deal after this season isn't THAT bad given the market 

10 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

We have better options in house than Tanaka...

Jun 6, 2017 - NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees' alleged ace, Masahiro Tanaka, is terrible.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/96417/yankees-need-to-drop-masahiro-tanaka-from-rotation

Tanaka's last 10 games as of June 12th, 2017 thru August 2nd, 2017:

Capture.PNG

14 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

We have better options in house than Tanaka...

Jun 6, 2017 - NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees' alleged ace, Masahiro Tanaka, is terrible.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/96417/yankees-need-to-drop-masahiro-tanaka-from-rotation

And have you bothered to see that he has had only one bad month in May with an ERA over 8 while all the other months he is solid in the 3's?

Just now, CanadianHalo said:

I definitely can't disagree with that.

I don't see why Upton wouldn't opt out

He is still young, having a pretty good season and this would be his last chance to get one last big contract.  He may not, but I think it makes sense for him to do so.

1 minute ago, CanadianHalo said:

Yes but it's being reported he most likely isn't going to opt out. 

I figured he for sure would given his season but Heyman last reported he isn't expected to

I think he will opt out.  He should be able to easily either get 4 yrs more money or get a 5 year deal securing another $25 million.

Plus he can go to a team in better shape to contend.

I would bet plenty that he opts out.

6 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

They moved him to second because he was blocked at 3B and second base has been a black hole since Howie was traded. He is and should be playing 3B, his arm is wasted at 2B.

Are you saying that a 2B with a good arm isn't valuable? I'd argue otherwise. We are not arguing here about his arm or ability to play 3B. I've seen Cowart's defense at 3B it is good. The goal for any General Manager around the League is to have hitters at every position that are producing above League average at the position. If Kaleb is at 3B he will have a harder time producing at least at League average whereas at 2B the bar is quite lower. Also he plays good defense at 2B too.

I'm not sure why having a 2B with a poor arm is a goal?

League average for 2B in 2017: 93 wRC+

Capture.PNG

League average for 3B in 2017: 101 wRC+

Capture.PNG

3 minutes ago, ettin said:

Are you saying that a 2B with a good arm isn't valuable? I'd argue otherwise. We are not arguing here about his arm or ability to play 3B. I've seen Cowart's defense at 3B it is good. The goal for any General Manager around the League is to have hitters at every position that are producing above League average at the position. If Kaleb is at 3B he will have a harder time producing at least at League average whereas at 2B the bar is quite lower. Also he plays good defense at 2B too.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Excellent argument 

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

I wish I knew what all those numbers mean ... is the ball coming out of his hand good?

Let me translate it for you TD: a 27.6% K-BB% rate is exceptional for a starter. :D

Let me put it a different way. If you pull up a list of qualified starters for the entire 2017 to date (yes we are comparing Tanaka's last 10 games to other starters entire seasons but bear with me) only three of them have better strikeout minus walk rates:

Capture.PNG

So in Tanaka's last 10 games he is pitching just as well as Clayton Kershaw at this moment in time. That is the point I am making. Masahiro got off to an awful start, not unlike many players in baseball, but has turned it around in his last 10 games which for a starter is a good sample size.

He should be an Angels target in the off-season if he does opt-out but the only thing worrisome about him is his prior arm injury. He's elite though, no doubt.

8 minutes ago, ettin said:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

I'm saying it's a longer throw from third than second. It doesn't hurt having a strong arm at 2B but not as important than at 3B. Cowart is better at 3B than at 2B.

25 minutes ago, ettin said:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

The goal is to have above average players at each position no matter how they get it done; hitting, running, or defense. The goal is to have the highest run differential. Moving him to 3rd base makes it easier for him to be above average defensively compared to second base.

Andrelton Simmons in 2015 and 2016 put up 4+ WAR in each season and was below 100 OPS+. In other words he was below average offensively. Are you suggesting the goal should be to replace him with an average offensive SS even if he posts a significantly lower WAR?