• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cowart-O-Meter

26 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

If he gets most of the starts and hits around 300 I'm pretty sure everyone, fans and FO and will be ecstatic. What I love is that Scioscia has no excuse not to play the guy....even though he's not even playing his natural position.  

Wait for him to do that, and then get sent back to the minors next year with no replacement.

1 hour ago, Homebrewer said:

If he gets most of the starts and hits around 300 I'm pretty sure everyone, fans and FO and will be ecstatic. What I love is that Scioscia has no excuse not to play the guy....even though he's not even playing his natural position.  

Hell I would be happy with him batting 250.  That's how bad the other options have been.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I am about as big of a Cowart fan as we have on here.  That being said, I don't need to see him at the top of the line up.  This is one of those times where I am perfectly fine with Scioscia being patient with him and batting in the bottom third of the order. 

Yep. I dont what our schedule is going forward. I hope its nothing too crazy. Not for the team itself, but just to take pressure off this guy, get him used to the routine, enviornment, crowd, etc. Treat him like an investment, ease him along.

I think one of the problems wood had was taking a "nice guy", without a killer instinct, and bringing him into a pennant race team where he had been annointed the next big thing years before he arrived. 

37 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yep. I dont what our schedule is going forward. I hope its nothing too crazy. Not for the team itself, but just to take pressure off this guy, get him used to the routine, enviornment, crowd, etc. Treat him like an investment, ease him along.

I think one of the problems wood had was taking a "nice guy", without a killer instinct, and bringing him into a pennant race team where he had been annointed the next big thing years before he arrived. 

Didnt woods first full season start on opening day?

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

Didnt woods first full season start on opening day?

Not sure, probably. But it was on a dynasty team as far as playoff races go. And it wasnt a situation where he could be eased in to bat 7th. It was "hes finally here, give us the 40 home run bat we read about the last 3 years...the one we didnt trade for mcab or manny for."

10 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Not sure, probably. But it was on a dynasty team as far as playoff races go. And it wasnt a situation where he could be eased in to bat 7th. It was "hes finally here, give us the 40 home run bat we read about the last 3 years...the one we didnt trade for mcab or manny for."

You know every talks like we turned down mcab for woods.  However that trade that fell through included Kendrick, Santana,  Mathis,  and I believe Adenhart as well.

Yeah, it was some combo of those guys. And even with hindsight, i get it. (Mcab was a FA in a year i believe). But wood was fawned after by baseball circa 2004 or so. And i think the hype had us (along with the rest of that generation)  projecting him to be an immediate boost to the the mlb club. Maybe things would have gone different if he came up on a crap team back then, with little pressure.

I think it just turned out that Wood couldn't hit good pitching.  Specifically, anything that wasn't a fastball.  Which makes sense since he struggled so much at the major league level.  If Wood was a prospect today I suspect that the analytics that everyone uses now would greatly dampen any enthusiasm about him. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

50 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think it just turned out that Wood couldn't hit good pitching.  Specifically, anything that wasn't a fastball.  Which makes sense since he struggled so much at the major league level.  If Wood was a prospect today I suspect that the analytics that everyone uses now would greatly dampen any enthusiasm about him. 

One of the major concerns I had with Wood as a prospect was his sky high strikeout totals.  I figured if he's an ok glove and hit .250 with those homeruns he'll be very valuable, but MLB pitchers will blow you away with their stuff and he was just destroying the weak stuff that's in the minors.  If he couldn't hit a breaking ball in the minors, what makes you think he'll hit it in the majors?

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Party foul....interfering with everyone's Cowart wood by bringing up Brandon Wood. 

1 hour ago, red321 said:

Party foul....interfering with everyone's Cowart wood by bringing up Brandon Wood. 

53 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

"From cowart wood to brandon wood, rhe cylce of life" - leonard nemoy

Can we just get this thread back on track and only talk about Cowarts dongs ?  Brandon Wood conversations are always such downers. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yeah, it was some combo of those guys. And even with hindsight, i get it. (Mcab was a FA in a year i believe). But wood was fawned after by baseball circa 2004 or so. And i think the hype had us (along with the rest of that generation)  projecting him to be an immediate boost to the the mlb club. Maybe things would have gone different if he came up on a crap team back then, with little pressure.

Just speculating but maybe the front office knew something.  After all they didn't give him a shot of consistent playing time until 2010