• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OK, Billy...PLEASE

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Frickin sell off some parts. This team is toast (this year). Make some trades.

I'd really hate to see this team on August 1 without having made any substantial trades, but for some reason I can't shake the feeling that's how it will be.

DFAing some of these guys would be a plus. We are trailing the former LASTROS by 18.5 games so bring in some of the kids and give them some hacks. What's there to lose. 

12 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Frickin sell off some parts. This team is toast (this year). Make some trades.

I'd really hate to see this team on August 1 without having made any substantial trades, but for some reason I can't shake the feeling that's how it will be.

So if he's traded Yusmeiro Petit and Bud Norris for guys who become the 12th and 15th best prospects in the system, will you be excited?

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

So if he's traded Yusmeiro Petit and Bud Norris for guys who become the 12th and 15th best prospects in the system, will you be excited?

Well don't know if excited would be accurate but it would be better than keeping them when your season ends after game 162 and they become free agents

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The team is 3-5 years away from seriously contending. Where do both of these 32 year old pitchers fit into that plan? They're not going to be part of the long term plan so they need to be moved before they can't be moved.

2 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Well don't know if excited would be accurate but it would be better than keeping them when your season ends after game 162 and they become free agents

My point is the Angels are not the Rangers or Pirates, who have legit valuable assets they could turn into premium prospects if they decide to sell. Whether or not the Angels sell is really almost irrelevant to their long-term future, so there's no point in getting worked up waiting for something to happen. 

Honestly, I think the real question is whether or not to buy a longer-term asset at the cost of some of prospects. Even if they aren't winning this year, they are going to try next year. They can't afford a Sonny Gray, but maybe they can afford a Dan Straily, for example. 

15 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I personally would. Look at what Joe Smith brought back last year. Smith was not going to be of any use to the Angels going forward and we were able to bring in a projectable prospect. 

Going back a couple of years when the Angels traded Scott Downs, again we were going no where and Downs was of no use going forward, and we got Cory Rasmus. Injuries have gotten in the way of his career, but he gave the Angels one solid season. 

If Eppler can turn Petit or Norris into someone like Castillo or Rasmus that is a plus going forward. 

5 minutes ago, OregonLAA said:

Look what the Angels got for Joe Smith of all people. Might as well try

Their 16th best prospect. They also got the 13th best (Bridwell) for nothing.

It's not that hard to find that level of prospects and having a lot of them doesn't make your system better. What makes your system better is having premium prospects. 

Just now, Jeff Fletcher said:

It's not that hard to find that level of prospects and having a lot of them doesn't make your system better. What makes your system better is having premium prospects. 

Norris and Petit have been better than Smith was so they'd get their 12th best prospect which is better than 13. Also Bridwell has helped in a big way

2 minutes ago, OregonLAA said:

Norris and Petit have been better than Smith was so they'd get their 12th best prospect which is better than 13. Also Bridwell has helped in a big way

Smith had a 3.82 ERA when the Angels traded him and that was the worst year of a much much much better career than Norris or Petit have had.

That means that any team acquiring Norris or Petit is going to be a little more leery that they could turn back into a pumpkin in the last 2 months than you would with a guy like Smith. 

Anyway, my point is you aren't going to get much for any of them (and we could include David Hernandez) so whether they trade them or keep them and keep trying to contend now doesn't make much difference. 

2 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

If the plan didn't work then you change the plan. Eppler needs to use an aggressive approach and cut bait with players that won't be around long term anyway. 

Yes, that's called the off season.  Let's say you release Pennington, Franklin and trade Escobar.  Who in the organization plays 2nd or can back up SS?  If your minor league players aren't ready it does more harm than good to bring them up early. 

53 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Eppler will sell. This isn't Dipoto or Reagins anymore. We have a competent GM now who is ready to rebuild the club for future seasons. I'd be shocked if we didn't dump some players

Why didn't Eppler sell last year then?

50 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

On any decent list(not the MLB.com one), you're looking at something like Taylor Ward and Jesus Castillo, both of which will likely contribute at the major league level or be traded for someone that will.  So...yeah, trading them would most certainly be worth it. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Do I want another Grayson Long or Nonie Williams?  Hell yes!

Not every scrap heap guy is going to turn out to be Parker Bridwell or JC Ramirez.  It's unlikely you are going to revamp your entire pen in one off season for nothing by picking up Pettit, Hernandez, Parker, and Norris.  

Maybe Eppler is just that good. But chances are that he's not and we just got a bit lucky.  But if he is that good, he's going to keep finding the Parker Bridwells and Blake Parkers but he's also going to turn trade chips into something better than expected.  If he's that good.  

Anyone on this team with an expiring contract is worth nothing to this org.  What if you trade them all and in three years one of the 5 or 6 players you got in return becomes a dependable #4 starter or an avg everyday 2bman?  Odds of that happening?  Maybe 10%.  Sure as hell beats zero.  

Not giving much consideration to the middle of your farm system because you think you can easily replace it by picking up random dudes by being smarter than anyone else in baseball is oddly reminiscent of how we ended up with the worst farm system in the history of baseball for 3 years.  

I'm on the side of adding organization currency.  Whether it's to create redundancy to ease the pain of selling it or something or even if it's to see how they develop 2-3-4-5 years from now.  

Sometimes you get Kasey Kotchman for Mark Teixeira

At the very least, it creates some level of interest.  I can at least dream on Jesus Castillo while Joe Smith polishes his ring.