• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Second Base

Cesar Hernandez of Philly is preferable over the retreads -- Aybar, Kendrick even EY Jr.

where we are headed on this reminds me of are some of those August/ September games back about a decade ago when we had Trent Durrington in the line up starting at second base with a patch quilt line up playing the string of meaningless games out........

oh, wait, I forgot -- 'we're still in this thing for the second wild card........'

let's think about this for a second -- we have Houston running away with the AL West we have AL East teams playing well above ,500 and then we have the bunched up also-rans in the AL West -- all about 4 games under .500 right now and some 16/17 games back of Houston.......

so - let's say one of these teams, Texas, Seattle or the Angels get hot (not too tough, they're playing primarily the weak teams within the AL West in September) and manage to snag the second wild card (because AL East and Central teams are beating each other up and splitting series) they play a ONE game playoff game and somehow win (perhaps they have their ace going and the other wild card team used him on the last two days of the season) and GEEZ they win.

now suddenly, the 2nd wild card entry with a 2 or 3 game over ,500 record is on equal footing with 25 games over .500 Houston as one of the playoff teams.........

yeah, not a fan of the new second wild card -- even if it keeps 'a lot of teams in the hunt' and makes for a 'great final day of the season'

oh well.

8 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Cowart went 3-4, with a SF tonite with 2 dbl, and 2 RBI. He is hitting .306, he played 1B, and Fletcher played second for the second game in a row since being promoted to AAA.

Someone earlier explained that Cowart would best be utilized by bringing up after July 23rd to ensure an additional controllable year.  I hope this is not the case because It makes no sense to focus on Cowart's controllable window for such a decision instead of Mike Trout's.

12 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Someone earlier explained that Cowart would best be utilized by bringing up after July 23rd to ensure an additional controllable year.  I hope this is not the case because It makes no sense to focus on Cowart's controllable window for such a decision instead of Mike Trout's.

Even if you only consider Trout's window, one additional year of control on Cowart has value.  Consider his trade value.

9 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Cowart went 3-4, with a SF tonite with 2 dbl, and 2 RBI. He is hitting .306, he played 1B, and Fletcher played second for the second game in a row since being promoted to AAA.

My son went 7-8 last weekend and plays GG first base?

2 hours ago, disarcina said:

why would you bring Cowart up now and lose another year of club control.

if that were to occur, the front office personnel should all be fired.

why keep him in the organization if they're not going to play him? i'm not asking to be a jerk, but it seems if they're holding on to him, then it's either time to poop or get off the pot.

Just now, Tank said:

why keep him in the organization if they're not going to play him? i'm not asking to be a jerk, but it seems if they're holding on to him, then it's either time to poop or get off the pot.

Probably a couple reasons - they either still don't think he's capable, or at least an improvement, over what's ahead of him, and two, it's depth. Especially if they don't think it's a significant improvement. Good teams have good players up and down the depth chart, and some wind up squandered or never getting that everyday chance. Lack of depth has killed us. Eppler is trying to create it. On a human level, yeah, it sucks that Kaleb may never get a real everyday shot. Perez and Marte are starting to fall into that category too. But these types of players are who should be occupying the AAA team, not minor league journeyman vets.

regardless of whether he is ready right NOW or not -- what is the magic date for his contract issue -- July 27th or something.

Heck it's July 18 now.

So if you bring him up now - you have him for NINE days and for those NINE days you LOSE an extra FULL YEAR of CLUB CONTROL.

Makes no sense.

Even if you trade the guy -- an additional year of CLUB CONTROL is a commodity with value for teams looking to contain payroll (most small market teams) and makes the player that more valuable in a potential trade.

But all you folks know this -- and, yes, it's not like back in the day where if the guy was good or you needed that player, you just called him up..........

with the big dollars in MLB contracts and the MLBPA collective bargaining agreement -- which has made even the marginal bench depth 25th guy on the roster expensive - this stuff matters,

35 minutes ago, disarcina said:

regardless of whether he is ready right NOW or not -- what is the magic date for his contract issue -- July 27th or something.

Heck it's July 18 now.

So if you bring him up now - you have him for NINE days and for those NINE days you LOSE an extra FULL YEAR of CLUB CONTROL.

Makes no sense.

Even if you trade the guy -- an additional year of CLUB CONTROL is a commodity with value for teams looking to contain payroll (most small market teams) and makes the player that more valuable in a potential trade.

But all you folks know this -- and, yes, it's not like back in the day where if the guy was good or you needed that player, you just called him up..........

with the big dollars in MLB contracts and the MLBPA collective bargaining agreement -- which has made even the marginal bench depth 25th guy on the roster expensive - this stuff matters,

It's July 22nd or 23rd (the former I think). Might hear news on Friday probably.

Edited by ettin

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I had a few rum and cokes tonight. ;)

I rather enjoyed the rant -- short, to the point...   I'm reaching that same point of frustration.   They may be keeping him in AAA in case they are thinking of being buyers and view him as a potential chip, but whatever...  Just call him up and roll the dice.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

I rather enjoyed the rant -- short, to the point...   I'm reaching that same point of frustration.   They may be keeping him in AAA in case they are thinking of being buyers and view him as a potential chip, but whatever...  Just call him up and roll the dice.

Franklin allows them to kick Espinosa off the team and not have to play Cowart... that's really all he brings to the table.

That said, not that Espinosa is gone, there isn't much in the way of backup defensively at shortstop.