• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A's are sellers: Nats acquire Doolittle and Madson

Finishing 20+ games out isn't lemonade. Also, they have finished in last place the past 2 seasons and are in last place now.

Don't let yourself fall into the poor Billy Beane bs. He had an opportunity to go to Boston.  He chose to stay in his situation. The A's are owned by the Wolff family, who have a net worth FIVE times higher than Arte. (but they sure do enjoy that revenue sharing money). Lack of money isn't the problem in Oakland many people seem to think it is. It's having owners that refuse to pay their good players enough to stay in Oakland. 

13 minutes ago, Lou said:

Finishing 20+ games out isn't lemonade. Also, they have finished in last place the past 2 seasons and are in last place now.

Don't let yourself fall into the poor Billy Beane bs. He had an opportunity to go to Boston.  He chose to stay in his situation. The A's are owned by the Wolff family, who have a net worth FIVE times higher than Arte. (but they sure do enjoy that revenue sharing money). Lack of money isn't the problem in Oakland many people seem to think it is. It's having owners that refuse to pay their good players enough to stay in Oakland. 

Hence the banners at A'th games that say amongst other things.....Slumlord Billionaire

Although, isn't Wulff no longer the majority owner?

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Hence the banners at A'th games that say amongst other things.....Slumlord Billionaire

Although, isn't Wulff no longer the majority owner?

My bad, that should have read Lewis family. 

3 hours ago, disarcina said:

Just watch -- Ryan Madsen will get the SAVE for all three games of the upcoming series that starts Tuesday.

If Madsen makes one pitch in a game during this series he will have pitched more for a team (Washington Nats) , a team he would have been on for less than a week, actually about three days -- than during his entire multi-year, multi-million dollar contact with the Halos.

I'm thinking -- did Madsen even do a bull pen session for us before he went down with an injury.

GEEZ.

I don't believe Madson did a bullpen session with us, as Burnett did.

Those are career killers around these parts. At least Madson escaped to pitch another day.

1 hour ago, Homebrewer said:

The Angels could do that and their fans and FO would STILL insist that they are "contenders"

When you have over $200M invested into a season and 67 games left to play while being 3.5 games back ... it's best to wait it out a little longer before you surrender. 

Yea it looks bleak but wtf ... I'm sure Trout isn't ready to tuck his balls between his legs just yet

36 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

When you have over $200M invested into a season and 67 games left to play while being 3.5 games back ... it's best to wait it out a little longer before you surrender. 

Yea it looks bleak but wtf ... I'm sure Trout isn't ready to tuck his balls between his legs just yet

Ummm where on Earth did you get that number from? Currently we are sitting at about $170M or so which is $25M under the Luxury Tax threshold.

But I do agree with the rest of what you said. FanGraphs believes we still have a relatively decent chance at 13.1%: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/updating-the-lists-of-buyers-and-sellers/

If we actually go out and improve the team that would obviously rise.... the question is by how much which is why I mentioned the win-curve in the Trade Deadline Series. If we improve significantly at 2B, 1B, and/or SP (or some combination) that percentage could rise quite a bit.

1 minute ago, eligrba said:

Success does not wait.....make the moves now while the time is right to maximize the return.  Anyone fully understanding what a shit roster the Angels have can not be thinking about 2017 playoffs.

Just now, ettin said:

Ummm where on Earth did you get that number from? Currently we are sitting at about $170M or so which is $25M under the Luxury Tax threshold.

But I do agree with the rest of what you said. FanGraphs believes we still have a relatively decent chance at 13.1%: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/updating-the-lists-of-buyers-and-sellers/

If we actually go out and improve the team that would obviously rise.... the question is by how much which is why I mentioned the win-curve in the Trade Deadline Series. If we improve significantly at 2B, 1B, and/or SP (or some combination) that percentage could rise quite a bit.

A tale in two posts. :D

54 minutes ago, ettin said:

I'm guessing .... Eppler, Sosh, coaches, assistants, trainers, operating cost, etc etc

The point is to wait it out a little longer

55 minutes ago, ettin said:

If a doctor gave me a 13% chance.. I'd be getting my affairs in order. That's an 87% chance of the other outcome...not what I'd be calling "relatively decent".

Just now, Homebrewer said:

If a doctor gave me a 13% chance.. I'd be getting my affairs in order. That's an 87% chance of the other outcome...not what I'd be calling "relatively decent".

Did you read the article? You do understand that if the Angels choose to improve those odds will rise right? Unless you're a Division leader you're probably no more than 35% likely to get to the playoffs (which is a 65% for the "other" outcome in your math) so there is a range here, among the Wild Card candidates, that is separated by no more than about 20% give or take.

Those are achievable odds IF the Angels improve. If they stand pat or sell-off then obviously their chances are the same or much worse.

It is not just about the odds but about how each team involved in a tight race chooses to upgrade, sell-off or stand pat and how that impacts the other teams they are competing against. The Angels are capable of upgrading but that decision rests more on the opportunity cost for Eppler to acquire pieces to make that happen. If those prices are too high then it is not worth it for the Angels to try and improve. If they are the right prices for long term pieces then do it, it will help you now and in the future.

19 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

I was thinking the same thing in 2002 before I put my $200 down on the Angels@60-1 I did it anyway 

i pray that you beat the odds ... amigo 

gotta go dinner date

Nats are still looking for help.  Eppler needs to try to get them to overpay for one of our guys.  I hope he is working the phones.  Is anyone here familiar with the players they have in their system and which ones could help the Angels improve?  Would the Nats trade a guy off their major league roster instead like Sanchez? 

23 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Nats are still looking for help.  Eppler needs to try to get them to overpay for one of our guys.  I hope he is working the phones.  Is anyone here familiar with the players they have in their system and which ones could help the Angels improve?  Would the Nats trade a guy off their major league roster instead like Sanchez? 

Don't know the answer to your questions, but I was about to ask if they had a guy in AAA that is blocked by a good major leaguer or even a good major leaguer who has a stud prospect waiting to be called up. 

Edited by Lou