• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols has done a good job

m0nkey

According to Fangraphs, Albert Pujols entered play Monday as the least valuable position player in the American League, at least among the 87 qualifiers for the batting title.

“We don’t attach that statement to Albert Pujols,” general manager Billy Eppler said. “That is definitely not something we believe.”

Fangraphs rated Pujols at -1.0 WAR (wins above replacement), essentially arguing a generic minor league callup would be more valuable to the Angels.

“Than Albert?” manager Mike Scioscia said. “The guy is, what, fourth or fifth in our league in RBIs? Those guys don’t fall off of trees. This guy has done a good job for us.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-report-20170626-story.html

He is a DH, not a position player. He has logged all of four games in the field this season. So his one dimensional talent is hitting the ball which is constrained by his inability to run, reducing his chances for an extra base hit to ground rules doubles and home runs. That will not help counting stats.

Yes, he will not win any batting titles. No, the Angels don't have a better player on the roster to supplant him at the moment. Tough reality to live with. 

Just now, Curse of the Wonderdog said:

I prefer the Yankees approach with A-Rod..... "You're old, you suck... The only option we're giving you is to sit on the bench and then retire."

And that works when you have: A- better options and B: a year or two left on the contract.  It does not work when you have 4+ years left on a contract.  

Where can it really go that hasn't been beaten to death already. 

You are watching the end of a legendary players career that his legs have finally given up on him. You want to see one last great performance but it just isn't there anymore. Too many operations, too much damage. 

Every at bat I hope he gets those last home runs he wants out of the way so he can finally say he's done enough. It's tough watching him laboring so hard to do what was once ballet on a baseball field. He was what Mike Trout is now, the best player in baseball. 

How will you guys feel in ten plus years about Trout when he is Pujols, hanging on for that number he wants to achieve. It might be different if he is a lifelong Angels player, unlike Pujols but when that day comes will you have the same mindset?

14 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm just going to stay out of this thread because I already know where certain people are going to take it. 

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Have to hope he can find those 59 HRs over the next 2.5 years to pass Mays for 5th place; and then maybe a deal can be reached to Bonilla his two remaining seasons by then, over say 5-7 years to limit the interest damage and have him retire after the 2019 season.

I don't think Mays is the target. By end of 2018 he'll have his 3000 hits and 2000 RBI and I think he'll call it a day

As a Pujols critic myself and I don't care about RBIs, I think this is one of his best seasons. Every time I tune in, the dude drives in runs. He is using what's left in the tank when it matters. 

Now back to talking about his DDs. Seriously though, you would think that he has more scruples than to take the fat payday every season and let his body go to shit. 

19 minutes ago, Blarg said:

How will you guys feel in ten plus years about Trout when he is Pujols, hanging on for that number he wants to achieve. It might be different if he is a lifelong Angels player, unlike Pujols but when that day comes will you have the same mindset?

It will be a LOT different. Pujols built up his goodwill for the fans of St. Louis.

Trout has given us a HOF career as an Angel in five seasons.

I HATE that all of the Angels associated with the HOF played their best baseball for someone else.  Reggie, Carew, Pujols, etc. Heck, even Vlad.

That is why I treasure the 2002 WS champs so much.  Practically all the stars were *ours*.

The month of June without Trout hitting in front of him really exposed that he is no longer "a presence in the lineup" 

I wish he would retire but the money and the milestones are way too much for him to leave behind. I personally don't believe that we will ever win a championship with Albert Pujols in the middle of the everyday lineup.

His timing for everything never really worked out for us. If it wasn't the slow starts it was the injuries. When we finally made the playoffs with him he shit the bed. Then his rapid decline with the team in transition has been tough to watch. It's time to go Albert but you know he's going to expect a bow out tour season. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

He is a DH, not a position player. He has logged all of four games in the field this season. So his one dimensional talent is hitting the ball which is constrained by his inability to run, reducing his chances for an extra base hit to ground rules doubles and home runs. That will not help counting stats.

Yes, he will not win any batting titles. No, the Angels don't have a better player on the roster to supplant him at the moment. Tough reality to live with. 

Actually he has had two doubles on the road trip and they were not ground rule doubles, but you're right it's a rare thing. It takes a ground rule double to score him from second.