• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols has been terrible

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I too hate when my team wins. 

I hope you are smart enough to understand the Angels win yesterday with you at DH, right?

Yes the guy hit a solo hr in the first.

My point about "free appetizer" is that the bigger picture analysis takes over sometimes and the thrill of not paying for chicken fingers in isolation is gone.

Pujols is still a negative WAR player.  He really isn't helping them win.  The team is under .500, and he is, (among other reasons) at the center of the reason why.

No, I am not thrilled in the least bit with a solo hr by Pujols in the 1st inning.  I can't stop seeing the big picture.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

I'm imagining his 2021 "Farewell Tour" numbers.

.220/.260/.340

12 HR, 42 RBI

At least Scioscia will be gone and he won't be stuck in the cleanup spot.

In 2021 Pujols will take his farewell tour but his bat and his legs have already said goodbye. 

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I totally get that the guy has been bad.  But to complain about his home runs just wreaks of being twaty.  

I said they don't excite me.  I didn't "complain" about a home run.  It was not exciting.  There is now no thrill for me, typically, with Pujols home runs because overall he just isn't very good, so they seem like novelty.

That's "twaty"?

Can I invite you to join reality?

You remind me of the guy that leaves the public restroom and the rim of the toilet is covered in piss then says he didn't do it, it was like that when he went in the stall.

A home run by our team is a call for celebration, not pissing on it and claiming otherwise.

I don't really see what the debate is here.  Pujols sucks as a MLB player now.

The team needs to figure out a way to buy him out or move him upstairs but it isn't like they have some stud waiting in the wings.  Since our 1st Base and 2nd Base production has been so bad and we don't have anyone for those either.

Ichiro, arguably the hit king of the earth, who is hitting .220 and has an OPS of .555, got a hit the other day!!!!!!

It was SO EXCITING!!!  Marlins fans were speechless from the event.

One Marlin fan shrugged and was attacked for not getting a boner over the blooper from the future hall of famer. . .

I look at it this way.   Each HR helps in two ways.  

1) Helps the team.   2) Gets him closer to Mays' 660 HRs for top 5 all time.   The sooner that happens, the sooner he is ready to retire?   

He should reach 3,000 hits next season, and hopefully 661 HRs by sometime in 2019.  

16 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Ichiro, arguably the hit king of the earth, who is hitting .220 and has an OPS of .555, got a hit the other day!!!!!!

It was SO EXCITING!!!  Marlins fans were speechless from the event.

One Marlin fan shrugged and was attacked for not getting a boner over the blooper from the future hall of famer. . .

Don't get why so many of your posts are bitter.  Lighten up man, it is sports.

12 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Don't get why so many of your posts are bitter.  Lighten up man, it is sports.

Really I don't feel bitter.  I felt like I simply made a point that a Pujols homer (sadly) isn't very exciting given the big picture.  The tone goes sideways when a bunch of people spin that into something it is not.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I said they don't excite me.  I didn't "complain" about a home run.  It was not exciting.  There is now no thrill for me, typically, with Pujols home runs because overall he just isn't very good, so they seem like novelty.

That's "twaty"?

Can I invite you to join reality?

Enjoy your reality, I'll enjoy the games he performs.  

17 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I look at it this way.   Each HR helps in two ways.  

1) Helps the team.   2) Gets him closer to Mays' 660 HRs for top 5 all time.   The sooner that happens, the sooner he is ready to retire?   

He should reach 3,000 hits next season, and hopefully 661 HRs by sometime in 2019.  

Of course.  It's just a yawner in the meantime.  To me, it is notable that the Pujols homers do nothing for me emotionally.  Of all the players on this roster, Pujols has become the guy I don't hesitate going to the fridge during his at bats. . .And again that is notable to me since I think he was signed to be the exact opposite effect.

I never care about the money.  I only care about it if it forces the Angels to keep this guy in the lineup everyday, batting third, and the product is not very good.

I have been a pretty big fan of Pujols.  I just knew this day was coming.  Willie Mays was tough to watch at the end. . .

It happens.  Intellectually we all know a homer is not an out and it puts a run on the board.  Of course!  But a Pujols homer, to me, just is not thrilling or exciting in any way emotionally.

We kind of expect a dude that big to be able to pop one here and there at his age. . .don't we?

The present product is marginal at best.  I'm not bitter or a bad fan or not capable of acknowledging the actual run on the scoreboard for not getting a raise in my pulse over a Pujols homer.

He is gonna hit some more.  I'm not trying that hard to not miss them.

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

We kind of expect a dude that big to be able to pop one here and there at his age. . .don't we?

I'm willing to bet only about 5 other players in the AL have hit more HRs over the last couple of years than Pujols.

Not quite what I'd call "one here and there

7 minutes ago, Lou said:

I'm willing to bet only about 5 other players in the AL have hit more HRs over the last couple of years than Pujols.

Not quite what I'd call "one here and there

Not sure why the simple point seems to be so complicated to get.  There really is no other part to his game now.  Go up there and get the ball in the air and some will go out.

You are correct.  6 guys have more he in the AL since the start of 2015.

Their WAR over that time:

Cruz 10.5

Encarnacion 9.5

Davis 9.1

Machado 15.0

Donaldson 17.9

Trout 21.7

Pujols 1.9

And 20 of the next 21 on the list have higher WAR.

The average WAR of the next 21 on the list is 7.2.

He is the ultimate one trick pony now and that makes his one trick boring.

15 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Not sure why the simple point seems to be so complicated to get.  There really is no other part to his game now.  Go up there and get the ball in the air and some will go out.

You are correct.  6 guys have more he in the AL since the start of 2015.

Their WAR over that time:

Cruz 10.5

Encarnacion 9.5

Davis 9.1

Machado 15.0

Donaldson 17.9

Trout 21.7

Pujols 1.9

And 20 of the next 21 on the list have higher WAR.

The average WAR of the next 21 on the list is 7.2.

He is the ultimate one trick pony now and that makes his one trick boring.

They might be complicated to get because you didn't make that point.

My response was to your "pop one here and there" comment. 

My scenario (passing 3000 hits and 660 HRs and retiring after the 2019 season) splits the difference between retiring after this season and retiring at the end of the contract.

Of course, I've always been a compromise kind of guy.   Will Albert abide by it, assuming he's still hitting like this (mid 600s OPS) in 2019 and knowing he would turn 40 in 2020? 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

My scenario (passing 3000 hits and 660 HRs and retiring after the 2019 season) splits the difference between retiring after this season and retiring at the end of the contract.

Of course, I've always been a compromise kind of guy.   Will Albert abide by it, assuming he's still hitting like this (mid 600s OPS) in 2019 and knowing he would turn 40 in 2020? 

Career numbers obviously come into play as you have discussed.

There is one number nobody is talking about and that is batting average.  His career average now is .307.

You have to believe he would want to stay over .300.  If he hits .240 the rest of this season (call it 300 more at bats) and 600 at bats next season, he would be sitting at .300 almost on the nose.