• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

15 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Question: does buying out Despres mean they cannot buy out Bieska if they wanted to ?  I thought there was a limit of 1 buyout per offseason.

Since Vegas agreed to not select a certain player that means maybe they were planning on only buying out one player in Despres meaning that if they hadn't made a deal with Vegas they would have lost leverage after buying out Despres meaning they can't buy out Bieska thus losing one of Manson or Vatanen.

From what I've gathered Bieksa is probably staying with the Ducks.  The only legit reports I've read are that they didn't even ask him to waive the NMC and that presumably, some kind of deal is in place with LVK.  To be honest, I'm pretty torn as to whether Stoner or Bieksa is more worthless.  Probably Stoner since Bieksa makes an ok pass and can skate adequately. 

I recall someone in the organization (maybe Carlyle) late in the season saying specifically that the club didn't care about the outside opinions on Bieksa and that they really liked him.  It might be that is legitimately the case. 

Not sure on the number of buy outs allowed per season. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Question: does buying out Despres mean they cannot buy out Bieska if they wanted to ?  I thought there was a limit of 1 buyout per offseason.

Since Vegas agreed to not select a certain player that means maybe they were planning on only buying out one player in Despres meaning that if they hadn't made a deal with Vegas they would have lost leverage after buying out Despres meaning they can't buy out Bieska thus losing one of Manson or Vatanen.

It sounds like he's staying.  Makes sense too.  With his age, it would be a 2/3'd hit.  So his hit would be $2.6 million for 2 seasons.  With Despres it was a 1/3 hit due to his age, which really does make sense.   Oddly, we get a negative cap hit for years 2 and 3 of $337k.  And it's really better than a $3.6ish hit for the next 4 years.  Hopefully with the savings per year, you pretty much can sign Eaves for 3 years. 

Also of note.  Something I just realized.  Fowlers contract is I believe a new contract.  So we won't see the cap hit till next year.  So this year, his cap hit will be $4 million and next year it'll start the $6.5 million.  So really the money we save on Despres this year at least isn't going towards Fowlers raise.

So according to Capfriendly.  We are at $4.102 million in cap space.  But the cap is going up by all accounts to $75 million, $+2.  So we are really at $6.102 million.  I think our needs right now is Eaves or equivalent, backup goalie, and whatever we can get for Vatanen.  Vatanen is a $4.875 hit.  Land O Lakes is a $5.571 and Doosh is a $6.  Per Scioscia, if it's Stepan it's $6.5. 

54 minutes ago, nate said:

Giving up a 1st and Vatanen???  WTF?

Doing quite a bit to keep Silf

If that happens Murray is fired immediately. To avoid losing Vatanen that way he could just buyout Bieska, trade vatanen & be able to protect all his D-men & top forwards thus leaving Vegas with just Vermette & Wagner to pick. To avoid that Vegas should be the team making a deal to get something better than Vermette & be willing to take Cogs, then receive Stoner + draft pick.

15 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Tick tock.

maybe we aren't ever gonna make that dman for a forward trade.

If the Ducks already have a deal with Vegas they have no urgency to make a move before the exp draft trade deadline.

It's all rumor at this point.  I just can't see giving up a first and Vatanen.  The way the deals seem to be going is a value with a dump.  For Vatanen, unless Murray is thinking of doing a Vatanen and Stoner to get rid of salary?  But that just seems to be giving up a lot.  The other scenario I"m thinking is if we are giving up a first, then Cogs.  Or a first and a prospect. 

It'll be interesting to see what we gave up.

I hope it isn't a 1st and Vatanen.  It makes sense that with the limited players being protected that the Ducks would have to give something up in order to decide which player is lost.

Anyway this is why I never wanted to have expansion, just diluting the talent pool for the entire league.  Never understood how people that don't live in the city the team is coming to could ever be a fan of it.

15 minutes ago, nate said:

I hope it isn't a 1st and Vatanen.  It makes sense that with the limited players being protected that the Ducks would have to give something up in order to decide which player is lost.

Anyway this is why I never wanted to have expansion, just diluting the talent pool for the entire league.  Never understood how people that don't live in the city the team is coming to could ever be a fan of it.

Can't be a 1st & Vatanen because they could just let Vegas take him without giving them a free pick.

Murray would be fired cause the owners would ask why didn't he just buy out Bieska & trade Vatanen & then protect Manson thus leaving Vegas with garbage.

If they can only lose 1 player, there's no need for them to go 8 skaters & 1 goalie as Vegas will take Vatanen or Manson either way & no need to let Silf go unprotected as Vegas might end up taking Silf instead & the Ducks forward corp becomes even weaker.

Anaheim Ducks Re-Sign Nic Kerdiles

Interesting tidbit, towards the end.

The timing of Kerdiles extension, much like those of Edmonton’s Jujhar KhairaMontreal’s Charles Hudonand Vancouver’s Erik Gudbranson in recent days, is certainly suspicious. It would be one thing if these players were all guaranteed to be protected by their teams, but instead they are all very much fringe players when it comes to putting together protection lists. If these players are exposed, new contracts will only increase their odds of being selected, taking pressure off of the Vegas Golden Knights, who must hit a quota of 20 players with contract term in the draft. Could these signings, particularly that of Kerdiles, whose team is known to be negotiating a side deal with the Knights, be part of a bigger strategy? It certainly seems like a strong possibility.

13 hours ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Can't be a 1st & Vatanen because they could just let Vegas take him without giving them a free pick.

Murray would be fired cause the owners would ask why didn't he just buy out Bieska & trade Vatanen & then protect Manson thus leaving Vegas with garbage.

If they can only lose 1 player, there's no need for them to go 8 skaters & 1 goalie as Vegas will take Vatanen or Manson either way & no need to let Silf go unprotected as Vegas might end up taking Silf instead & the Ducks forward corp becomes even weaker.

It could be a 1st and Vatanen if they are keeping Vegas from picking Silf.

Anyway we will see who it is.

18 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Cone of silence till Thursday I believe. 

Looks like Calgary is banking on 35 year old Mike Smith to be their backstop. 

I'm wondering if he might end up being their number one guy. Elliot had a rough year.

12 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Channel 7 said that Kesler went under the knife today.  Didn't sound major, just cleaning out some bone chips in his hip.

They said he'd be out 12 weeks, so that equals returning in mid-September, which should okay for you.

i like Kessler. He's a tough hombre.