• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

Wow, drouin to the habs! Never thought they would send him there, but they got Sergachev who is insane good and a 2nd. Makes sense I suppose, now they get a dynamo to replace him, but don't have to protect the player and they get cap savings.

Bummer, i wanted drouin.

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

I'm probably being unfair but I don't know what it is about Lindholm.  That guy needs to show us something.  I want to see him control play. 

He one of the best d men in the league already, and he's super young. Look at his stats, he makes every single player on the ducks better when he's on the ice, and the opposition just plain does not score when he's out there, and we score a lot. It's awesome. He will be a superstar in not too long. 

48 minutes ago, HaloCory22 said:

Lindholm is the Tim Duncan of defensemen. Doesn't look flashy out there but he's the big fundamental. He won't fuck up.

He's like a mix between Hjalmarsson & Kronwall (in his prime), I think next season we are going to see Lindholm playing more physical like in the 2017 playoffs & the offense will come along like it did for Kronwall who took longer for his offensive game to develop. Kronwall has had 3 seasons with 44 or more points. Lindholm having a 44 point season would be huge for him considering he's better defensively than Kronwall. Like Hjalmarsson he's a shutdown guy with great +/- & Chicago has had alot of success due his shutdown skills.

17 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don't think landeskog is a great fit.  We should be pursuing speed and skill.  Landeskog is a very good player but there are other pieces available that fit better. 

There is a chance Anaheim keeps Vats/Manson/Fowler/Lindholm & allows Vegas to select Cogliano + sending them draft picks for not picking Manson & Vatanen.

I have a feeling we'll be disappointed its not Duchene they get, I also have a feeling the Vatanen sweepstakes will come down to 4 teams: Colorado, Toronto, Dallas & Boston.

if those teams make other deals except for Colorado, Colorado can sit at protecting 3 D & 7 forwards since Beauchemin got bought out, but if they acquire Vatanen they simply go with 8 skaters & lose Girgesons which isn't much of a loss for them, the pressure is on Anaheim to move Vatanen or lose him for nothing.

Another pure speculation idea.  But would you?  Would they?  And I really don't know much about this player, other than the basics of 22 YO, 3rd overall pick.

NHL Rumors: Montreal Canadiens – Oilers, Avs and Wild

Eric Engels: Appears very likely that Alex Galchenyuk gets traded. There is a good possibility that they will get a defenseman in return.

Galchenyuk is now their best trade piece to acquire an elite defenseman.

So Galchenyuk for Vatannen.  Might even be able to get a pick also?

1 minute ago, HaloCory22 said:

Friedman reporting the Ducks are waiving and buying out Despres. 

Ouch, couldn't get Vegas or a team like Phoenix to take it? 

According to Sportrac:

Current Contract Breakdown

Year   Base Salary (Cash) Signing Bonus Incentive Cap Hit

2017-18 Contract details by year $3,100,000     $3,700,000
2018-19 Contract details by year $4,700,000     $3,700,000
2019-20 Contract details by year $4,700,000     $3,700,000
2020-21 Contract details by year $3,400,000     $3,700,000

Buyout Breakdown

Year   Base Salary (Cash) Buyout Savings Buyout Cap Hit
2017-18 Contract details by year $662,500 $2,437,500 $1,262,500
2018-19 Contract details by year $662,500 $4,037,500 $-337,500
2019-20 Contract details by year $662,500 $4,037,500 $-337,500
2020-21 Contract details by year $662,500 $2,737,500 $962,500
2021-22 Contract details by year $662,500 -$662,500 $662,500
2022-23 Contract details by year $662,500 -$662,500 $662,500
2023-24 Contract details by year $662,500 -$662,500 $662,500
2024-25 Contract details by year $662,500 -$662,500 $662,500
    $5,300,000    

So we'd be saving $2.5 million this year?  (which would account for Fowlers raise) 

After this Despres being bought out.  I really think now that the person the Magnetos select from the Ducks is Cogs.  And here's why. 

He only has 1 year left at $3 million till unrestricted free agency.  He has an Iron Man streak going.  He won't hit a milestone next year, but the year after he will leapfrog 2 people to get to #2.  Year after that, he will hit #1.  That's not a bad thing to have in Vegas, a team with no history.  Iron Man streak on the Ducks, for a contending team though, putting Cogs out game after game, knowing he has the streak going could be a detriment to the team.  Hockey is tough, and we know he's playing through a bunch of stuff.  At least in Vegas, they can throw him out there when he's not 100%, even if he's 50%, because by the sounds of it, they are going the route of a pure expansion team.  Again, with the Ducks, we need every win, because the goal is to hoist the cup every year.

Cogs isn't a bad player.  He plays a good 2 way game and his advanced stats are positive.  But as we saw from the playoffs.  Having a shut down line really didn't mean much in the Carlyle game.  And he just doesn't score at the rate of Silf or Kess. 

You get rid of Cogs.  Sign Eaves and have the Getzlaf/Eaves/Rakell line which was pretty kick ass last season.  Then trade Vatanen for someone to play on the Silf/Kess line that can score.  That's two top lines, and you still have a bunch of players to make pretty good 3rd and 4th lines.

The Depres thing is pretty sad.  I had high hopes for him being a mainstay for us before he got hurt.   Really and unfortunate situation but I'm glad it's resolved now.  Hopefully he can have a good quality of life even though his hockey career is over.

I tend to agree with GB that there's a decent chance Cogliano is the guy we're gonna lose to the expansion draft.  I'm also fine with this.  Cogs is a good player, he's a nice penalty killer and his speed makes him a forechecker but we need that money he's getting paid to invest in a guy that can score.  Only a few more days until a lot of this shakes out guys. 

I'm also pretty confident that we're gonna extend Fowler.  Which is a great think. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Now expanding on the above thought about Cogs getting selected in the expansion draft.  Just to ponder, in that scenario.

I know people have shown they don't like him.  But as fits go, this might not be a bad one.

Silfverberg RW, Kessler C

Land o Lakes LW.  24 years old, 6'1", 215.  A low of 33 points last season.  3 seasons prior, 65, 59, 53 points.  So diminishing numbers.  Now is it a diminish in skill, or the team just got worse and worse.  What stood out, and it's a very minor thing and it's only a single third place vote.  He got a Selke vote.  Which tells me he has a two way game.  Again, just overall on paper looks like a really good fit. 

Landeskog is a solid defensive forward.  I think the 33 points last year is almost certainly an aberration related to how shitty the Av's were.  He's a got some offensive skill as well.  He didn't put up the 65 point season by accident.  But as I've said before, for me I really want a player who is a pure offensive threat.  Speed and skill.  I don't think Landeskog brings that exactly.   Again I'm not saying that he's not a skilled player.  Just that he's not a pure scorer.   

We need that 2nd line to adapt a more offensive character.  I really wonder whether that's what happens with Landeskog joining them.  

We need Kesler and Silvferbeg scoring goals not constantly playing the "shut down" role.  That's what we've got guys like Chris Wagner and Kase for.

The 2nd line can and should be defensively responsible w/o making it the complete focus of their game. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

And going back to Landeskog.  The way I look at it is this.  Let's give Landeskog 40-50 points.  Let's say he brings his strong defensive play.  I know that sounds amazing but hear me out.   

Does that really change anything for the Ducks ?  Sure he's solidly better then Cogs as a player, but I don't think the "look" of the team really changes.  We're still rolling  a 2nd line that probably plays the shut down roll.  Cogs opened up ice with his speed which helped Kesler and Silvferberg.  Maybe they won't score as much as they did.  Maybe the line wil score about the same or a litttle more overall.  Hard to say.  My expectation is that the line overall probably stays flat or regresses offensively with Landeskog.  Which imo renders the whole thing pointless.

also, assuming we retain Patrick Eaves.  It's dangerous to assume he'll score at the same rate that he did last year.  Last year he put up numbers pretty solidly above his career norms.  Also, he's hurt all the time.  I'm fine with keeping Eaves at the right price.  But the Ducks need to not bank on him for 50 or more points.  We really, really need that scoring coming from the 2nd line. 

Ideally if we're gonna make a trade, we get a guy that more directly suits our needs then Landeskog.

Edited by UndertheHalo

Just my opinion.  But I think Land O Lakes will be a bigger impact than you would think.  At 215 lbs, Land will be able to do things that Cogs at 184 lbs cannot do.  Land at that size will be able to park in front of nets, and not get pushed around both on D or on O like Cogs.  Cogs really has to use his speed and nimbleness to be really effective, and that really keeps him on the perimeter a lot.  Like everything, we really won't know unless it happens how it shapes up.  But I really think for just Vatanen as a chip, we can land the Lakes.  Where with other teams, it looks more like prospects/picks.  And to get a huge upgrade having to look at our young players in addition to Vatanen.

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

After this Despres being bought out.  I really think now that the person the Magnetos select from the Ducks is Cogs.  And here's why. 

He only has 1 year left at $3 million till unrestricted free agency.  He has an Iron Man streak going.  He won't hit a milestone next year, but the year after he will leapfrog 2 people to get to #2.  Year after that, he will hit #1.  That's not a bad thing to have in Vegas, a team with no history.  Iron Man streak on the Ducks, for a contending team though, putting Cogs out game after game, knowing he has the streak going could be a detriment to the team.  Hockey is tough, and we know he's playing through a bunch of stuff.  At least in Vegas, they can throw him out there when he's not 100%, even if he's 50%, because by the sounds of it, they are going the route of a pure expansion team.  Again, with the Ducks, we need every win, because the goal is to hoist the cup every year.

Cogs isn't a bad player.  He plays a good 2 way game and his advanced stats are positive.  But as we saw from the playoffs.  Having a shut down line really didn't mean much in the Carlyle game.  And he just doesn't score at the rate of Silf or Kess. 

You get rid of Cogs.  Sign Eaves and have the Getzlaf/Eaves/Rakell line which was pretty kick ass last season.  Then trade Vatanen for someone to play on the Silf/Kess line that can score.  That's two top lines, and you still have a bunch of players to make pretty good 3rd and 4th lines.

Also who they trade Vatanen for means they have to expose a forward on the protected list since the current 7 likely: Getz/Perry/Kesler/Rak/Silf/Cog/Verm, they need extra room for the Fowler extension & Vegas might not have made the deal if they weren't going to get Cogs.

So then the protected 7 forwards becomes Getz/Perry/Kesler/Rak/Silf/(Landes or Duchene)/Verm, the ducks then protect Fowler, Lindholm & Bieksa & Vegas agrees to select Cogliano & not Manson.

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Landeskog is a solid defensive forward.  I think the 33 points last year is almost certainly an aberration related to how shitty the Av's were.  He's a got some offensive skill as well.  He didn't put up the 65 point season by accident.  But as I've said before, for me I really want a player who is a pure offensive threat.  Speed and skill.  I don't think Landeskog brings that exactly.   Again I'm not saying that he's not a skilled player.  Just that he's not a pure scorer.   

We need that 2nd line to adapt a more offensive character.  I really wonder whether that's what happens with Landeskog joining them.  

We need Kesler and Silvferbeg scoring goals not constantly playing the "shut down" role.  That's what we've got guys like Chris Wagner and Kase for.

The 2nd line can and should be defensively responsible w/o making it the complete focus of their game. 

If Ritchie/Kase improves & Perry's MCL injury was really the reason for the down year they could be improved by that alone as well as a full season from Rakell.

Other names I've heard mentioned is Stepan from NYR, that would be awesome though he's a RH shot but can play Center.

Question: does buying out Despres mean they cannot buy out Bieska if they wanted to ?  I thought there was a limit of 1 buyout per offseason.

Since Vegas agreed to not select a certain player that means maybe they were planning on only buying out one player in Despres meaning that if they hadn't made a deal with Vegas they would have lost leverage after buying out Despres meaning they can't buy out Bieska thus losing one of Manson or Vatanen.