• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2017 NFL DRAFT

Lou

• Lou pinned this topic

The Bears traded the #3 pick, a 3rd rounder this year, a 4th rounder this year and a 3rd round pick next year to move up one spot to draft a QB who started 13 games in college.  Kudos to the 49'ers for getting all those picks and still getting the guy at 3 they wanted at 2.  I understand why KC took a QB to mold behind Smith but I was surprised they wanted Mahomes enough to move up in the first round to get him.  Denver addressed their biggest need at 20 getting a guy who can step in and play LT and I was glad they went that route when there were reports they wanted to move up possibly for McCaffrey.  There was talk about them taking a RB or even the TE out of Alabama (picked at 19) to take pressure off their young QB whether it's Lynch or Siemian but none of that matters if you can't keep your QB upright or run block which is the biggest way to take pressure off your QB.

I thought the Browns did pretty well in rd 1.  They took the best player at 1 then didn't mortgage their future to move up and get a QB who isn't a sure thing.  Instead they traded back, got more picks and landed a guy who could play more than one position in Peppers.  I realize his sample from the combine was diluted but the value was there at 25.  Not that it matters but Prisco hates the pick:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-draft-grades-browns-get-an-f-for-selecting-jabrill-peppers-no-25/ 

The fact he dislikes it is probably a reason to like it more.  So many of these analysts pump up picks that involve trades or reaching for some guy they have a man crush on while they bag on value or solid picks that aren't flashy.

don't know anything about mahomes, so purely going on articles, talking heads, and "analysts".

seems to be the qb with the most tools, biggest upside, but that term raw was used a lot. he's in the best situation of all the qb's too, as he doesn't have to step in right away or come in with those lofty expectations. the knock on him seems to be his decision making and who better to learn from than mr. game manager himself, alex smith, and one of the best qb cultivators in andy reid. i'll be optimistic, but i have little faith in project, average, or anything other than the sure thing qb's from the draft. there's more of a chance of him failing than being good. we will see down the road.

i think the interesting thing is they jumped up 17 spots to the top 10 and seemed to pay way less than similar situations. that said, you need to be right on these picks and dorsey seems to be and i'm not going to argue seeing as what he and ron wolf did in green bay with all the qb's. i'd normally not like parting with next years 1st, but reality is unless injuries kick our ass the team will be good and likely in the 20's next year. you also have to be right on this pick because next years qb class is highly touted....but a few qb classes have been and failed miserably.

this is the first time i can remember being a chiefs fan and having this kind of flexibility because of the depth we have. we usually were reaching for specific positions or had needs. dorsey has done a good job and the past couple years with drafting dee ford, you see a real building opposed to having needs, reaching, or like the bears who threw a hail mary and are crossing their fingers with a dude i think will be a bust.

looking forward to the rest of the draft as i looked at previous drafts in the mid rounds and the chiefs have done very, very well recently with dorsey.

Very happy with the 49ers draft

Just about fleeced the Bears and still drafted the guy they wanted...used the bears pick plus their 2nd rounder to move back into round 1 to pick (hopefully) the next stud linebacker.  Great first day, and the still have picks at 66 and 67.

John Lynch and Shannahan are doing a fine job as rookies.

I liked the Chargers selection of Clemson WR Mike Williams.  Keenan Allen can't seem to stay healthy so snagging Williams solves that issue should it happen again.  If everyone is healthy, the presence of Allen, Mike Williams, Tyrell Williams, Gates and Hunter Henry (along with RB Melvin Gordon) should make for a prolific offense that isn't settling for FG's.  We'll see.  There are a couple of O-linemen (Robinson, Lamp) available at the top of round 2 that could be targets, a D-lineman (McDowell), or potentially a safety (Baker), or maybe a shocker out of left field like Dalvin Cook or Joe Mixon.

1 hour ago, HaloNArizona said:

Very happy with the 49ers draft

Just about fleeced the Bears and still drafted the guy they wanted...used the bears pick plus their 2nd rounder to move back into round 1 to pick (hopefully) the next stud linebacker.  Great first day, and the still have picks at 66 and 67.

John Lynch and Shannahan are doing a fine job as rookies.

I think they had the best first day of all teams.  And I think they DID fleece the Bears.  The Bears are idoits for giving up what they did to move down one spot to take a QB that isn't playing much (I'd assume) since they paid for Gleason.

Colorado sports radio was pretty funny last night when the Broncos picked Bolles.  It was like listen to the air coming out of a balloon. 

AFC West may be the best division in football next ... and the Broncos may well be at the very bottom. 

Wheeeeeee .....

10 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I thought the Browns did pretty well in rd 1.  They took the best player at 1 then didn't mortgage their future to move up and get a QB who isn't a sure thing.  Instead they traded back, got more picks and landed a guy who could play more than one position in Peppers.  I realize his sample from the combine was diluted but the value was there at 25.  Not that it matters but Prisco hates the pick:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-draft-grades-browns-get-an-f-for-selecting-jabrill-peppers-no-25/ 

The fact he dislikes it is probably a reason to like it more.  So many of these analysts pump up picks that involve trades or reaching for some guy they have a man crush on while they bag on value or solid picks that aren't flashy.

How on earth can anyone give the Browns an F for picking Peppers? Unless, of course, they've never seen him play. The Browns are having a great draft, imo.

The Chargers really seemed to focus on Phillip Rivers in this draft.  He only has a handful of seasons left and they didn't disappoint by getting him an offensive weapon and two up-front protectors.  Lamp and Feeney (along with Okung in free agency) should really solidify the O-line.  Kind of used to the Bolts giving up picks to move around and potentially reach for players.  Not this draft.   They sat tight and let good players slide to them.  

I like Jacksonville's draft thus far. Running back was a position at which they were barely adequate, and Leonard Fournette should help considerably. There was discussion before the draft that they might scrap the Blake Bortles experiment and draft Deshawn Watson. Apparently they plan to see if the problem with Bortles was mainly coaching (which I suspect) before they decide to move on at QB. The team hasn't had a consistent QB since Mark Brunell, and they have taken three (Byron Leftwich, Blaine Gabbert and Bortles) in the first round since his departure.

The rest of this year's draft has been filling spot needs. Cam Robinson, Alabama OT (2nd) is a particularly nice addition.

• Spirit unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...