• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I'm going negative....

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

It's too easy to be on your side and say I told you so, but post a nice comment or two when they win.

The Blue Jays have the same team as last year and went deep in the playoffs. They're sucking too right now. 

That's the point, isn't it?  It's easier to criticize a team that, regardless of the lineup, slow starts nearly every season under a manager who is immune from accountability.  Nearly every other person involved in the management/coaching of the team has been fired, but not the guy responsible for winning.  Reaching the playoffs once in 7yrs is not exactly a resume highlight for a MLB manager.  I know...bad players, bad GMs, injuries, it's early, the usual excuses.

Not sure what the Blue Jays have to do with it, except this sucking too team just beat the Angels.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

It's too easy to be on your side and say I told you so, but post a nice comment or two when they win.

The Blue Jays have the same team as last year and went deep in the playoffs. They're sucking too right now. 

To me, that means it's likely they will pull out of their early slide.  

What gives us hope?  

Don't get me wrong, I know we are going to play better at some point, but how come they aren't ready now?  

Why is Pujols hitting .203?  Cron .213?  Maybin .188?  Revere .179?  

Small sample?  sure.  But how come there are zero small sample problems in our favor?  Maybe Martin Maldonado and his whopping 116 wRC+?  

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

until they prove me wrong.  

Doc, I think Adam hit the nail on the head.

3 hours ago, Adam said:

The franchise is historically pretty mediocre and it's in the shitty part of its cycle and probably will be through at least the remainder of the decade. I'm okay with that.

This is perspective. In almost 60 years of Angels baseball, there have only really been two eras in which they were regularly pretty good: 1979-86 and 2002-09. The norm has been...well, look at the 90s. Or now.

Of course the problem is that there is no reason this franchise shouldn't be able to put together a perennial contender. I don't want to get into a pointing fingers game, but the problem is that they are run poorly, with too much owner meddling. That said, it seems that Arte has learned his lesson and taken a step back, and I like Eppler's approach so far. In the larger scheme of things, I like what Eppler has done so far and want to see where it takes the club. He seems to have the long range in mind and is not going for quick fixes or making "shower-not-grower" big splashes.

I think the suffering comes almost entirely from expectations. Actually, I'm reminded of a psychologist I heard on NPR who said the secret to happiness is low expectations. Maybe that's what Adam is getting at. We had a strong start, going 6-2, with a couple of great wins. There was a feeling in the air, like this team could surprise. And then they came back down to earth. Perhaps it is worth noting that statisticians often think of miraculous wins as lucky wins, so that the "real" record of the team through eight games was more like 4-4.

This is probably a team that will win 75-85 wins, so nothing special. But let's see how the season unfolds. It is, after all, still quite early. And even if the Angels, once again, limp to an 80-82 finish (or something like that), there's always the big picture. Watch the farm, look at Eppler's micro-transactions, see what they start building...

Too early after a long rainy, snowy, cold, dreary, off-season to get really negative...yet. That's easy for me to say I guess, since I closely follow 2 teams, and the other one is pretty good. That, and I also like to watch other teams, especially when the pitching matchups are compelling. It's pretty awesome to be able to watch every game, every day...there was a time not long ago that fans got nothing but home team broadcasts, and then only a few times a week, and maybe a game of the week on the weekends, and that was it.

It's a great time for baseball and for the fans..

I think Sciosch needs to go.  This team needs some new energy and leadership to pair with a GM who made some solid moves this past offseason.  I know it's early but I'm so damn tired of the same old thing.

The moment the Cubs hired Maddon I knew they were going to rebound quicker than what was discussed in the media.  If I'm the GM right now I'd have my eye on a coaching change and would be ready the moment I see someone I want.

1 minute ago, MacNasty said:

I think Sciosch needs to go.  This team needs some new energy and leadership to pair with a GM who made some solid moves this past offseason.  I know it's early but I'm so damn tired of the same old thing.

The moment the Cubs hired Maddon I knew they were going to rebound quicker than what was discussed in the media.  If I'm the GM right now I'd have my eye on a coaching change and would be ready the moment I see someone I want.

As much as I'd like to see it..not going to happen.

This is the Arte and Scioscia show, and the GM only serves at their pleasure.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

To me, that means it's likely they will pull out of their early slide.  

What gives us hope?  

Don't get me wrong, I know we are going to play better at some point, but how come they aren't ready now?  

Why is Pujols hitting .203?  Cron .213?  Maybin .188?  Revere .179?  

Small sample?  sure.  But how come there are zero small sample problems in our favor?  Maybe Martin Maldonado and his whopping 116 wRC+?  

I've been consistent with my opinion about Scioscia over the last few years: I've wanted him gone but I knew it wouldn't happen (and still won't after this season, barring a total meltdown).  I get that he's doing the best with a limited roster, but these slow starts seem to be endemic with him.  As the old saying goes, you can't win a division in April but you can lose one.  As you said, we've had one hitter doing better than expected: Maldonado, who thus far is much better.  Trout and Escobar are what we expected, and everyone else is much worse.  This seems to happen constantly.  At some point, I'd think you have to look at the manager.

It's to the point now where I'm questioning rooting for this team (or any team) at all.  All we do is root for a logo, and every season ends in disappointment.  

5 hours ago, nando714 said:

To a proven winner

Derek Jeter

It would be cool if jeter instantly made a painting for arte right after the ink dried.

To be fair (and i havent been positive about this team the last 2 years), i dont think we cwn overlook richards and heaney. Not making excuses, but the pitching was snakebit last year, and the injuries werent quick fixes. Aside from a non existent farm, that hurt and will hurt for awhile.

The only hope is that their plan of rebuilding pays off and in another 2 (or 3) years, were back to being a true contender. 

As far as this years team, i think theyll wake up and be a lot better than this. I still expect 3rd place, but at least competitive. Once a few guys start having hot streaks i think it will mask the lack of overall depth for awhile and we'll at bare minimum be better than last year.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

This is perspective. In almost 60 years of Angels baseball, there have only really been two eras in which they were regularly pretty good: 1979-86 and 2002-09. The norm has been...well, look at the 90s. Or now.

Of course the problem is that there is no reason this franchise shouldn't be able to put together a perennial contender. I don't want to get into a pointing fingers game, but the problem is that they are run poorly, with too much owner meddling. That said, it seems that Arte has learned his lesson and taken a step back, and I like Eppler's approach so far. In the larger scheme of things, I like what Eppler has done so far and want to see where it takes the club. He seems to have the long range in mind and is not going for quick fixes or making "shower-not-grower" big splashes.

I think the suffering comes almost entirely from expectations. Actually, I'm reminded of a psychologist I heard on NPR who said the secret to happiness is low expectations. Maybe that's what Adam is getting at. We had a strong start, going 6-2, with a couple of great wins. There was a feeling in the air, like this team could surprise. And then they came back down to earth. Perhaps it is worth noting that statisticians often think of miraculous wins as lucky wins, so that the "real" record of the team through eight games was more like 4-4.

This is probably a team that will win 75-85 wins, so nothing special. But let's see how the season unfolds. It is, after all, still quite early. And even if the Angels, once again, limp to an 80-82 finish (or something like that), there's always the big picture. Watch the farm, look at Eppler's micro-transactions, see what they start building...

I just can't think like that and never will.  Our mistakes of recent past are well documented.  Yes, those sting, and I agree we are headed in the right direction.  

I am referring more to poor on field performance for no particular reason.  Just a bunch of dudes consistently under performing 

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yep, this^

During the 79-86 era, it was enough that we finally won something - for Gene and all. During the 2000's I started to think the franchise had turned a corner.

Wrong...Regression to the mean seems to be the current reality. Just like looking forward to Ryan's starts in the seventies to see how many strikeouts he could muster, or whether a no-no was in the works - there's one reason to look forward to a game now.

thinking that the past results of the franchise have any bearing on the present results or expectations on the franchise/team is exactly what got the cubs 108 years of losing. the cubs won because they got a president and gm who knew that 108 meant shit.

no fan cares about the angels in any era other than this one. 

You are never going to put a winning product on the field with an owner who has no interest in his own farm.

It is no coincidence that the Angels only run of continued success was under Disney.

The one guy you need to fire is the one guy you can't fire, and that is Moreno.

We can only hope he will decide to sell the team , but i am not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

You are never going to put a winning product on the field with an owner who has no interest in his own farm.

It is no coincidence that the Angels only run of continued success was under Disney.

The one guy you need to fire is the one guy you can't fire, and that is Moreno.

We can only hope he will decide to sell the team , but i am not holding my breath.

Hold on....disney "ran" the 02 team, yes. They also sold just after....lets not get carried away, moreno has been the best owner, regardless of the last few years. The problem is he went jeckyl from hyde.

If we gove disney credit for 02 (fair enough) we also point fingers for 01...

To add to that, disney was behind mo vaughn....like moreno, they got gunshy when their one big splash turned to sh*t.

And as bad as the has been signings have been the last few offseasons, we could fill a page with the zeros we signed in the late 90s to supplement a far stronger core than we have now. And that was when FA was different, steroids were everywhere, and every offseason was loaded with 5 or 6 bonafide studs.

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

one good at bat makes it all better?  Btw, that was a seeing eye double on a pitch outside the strike zone.  A ball that usually ends up a GIDP.  The opposite field single he had was a much better at bat.  

The guy wants so bad to be something he used to instead of evolving into the best of what he is.  

OK, let me rephrase that...

Do you know that he had 3 hits in 7 at bats yesterday? That equates to a .429 average. Just because he struck out with the bases loaded in the 13th, you go on this rampage without looking at the big picture.

FWIW, CJ Cron was 0-6 yesterday. Maybe he deserves your scorn more than Pujols. It isn't Pujols' fault he gets paid as much as he does.

1 minute ago, Mark68 said:

OK, let me rephrase that...

Do you know that he had 3 hits in 7 at bats yesterday? That equates to a .429 average. Just because he struck out with the bases loaded in the 13th, you go on this rampage without looking at the big picture.

FWIW, CJ Cron was 0-6 yesterday. Maybe he deserves your scorn more than Pujols. It isn't Pujols' fault he gets paid as much as he does.

Last 7 AB is the big picture?

No wonder Arte gets away with this shit.