• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Derek Jeter and Jeb Bush have teamed up on a bid to buy the Marlins

Chuck

The two were thought to be part of competing groups but have now apparently joined forces. The big money for the bid is probably coming from other (more silent) sources anyway. Jeter carries obvious baseball cachet and Jeb's brother George W. was a well-liked part-owner of the Texas Rangers for a number of years. The Jeter-Jeb ownership group could probably get quick approval from Major League Baseball if their price is right to buy the team. Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria is reportedly seeking more than $1.5 billion.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

A baseball slumlord for sure, how Stanton got 12 years/$320 million from Loria is something left for the masters of sleuthing.

It's a over pay for sure but that's the price you pay to land your franchise player. 

Marlins are only paying him $107M over the first six years (under pay). He can opt out at the age of 31 and become a free agent. 

The bidding war for the Miami Marlins baseball team has taken a new turn as a former presidential candidate and a future hall of famer have teamed up to buy the franchise and could face off against an investor group led by the son of another presidential candidate, FOX Business has learned.

Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush and former Yankee great Derek Jeter are now working to make a joint bid for the Marlins, according to people with direct knowledge of the matter. The duo decided to join forces over the past week, in order to pool resources for a bid that is likely to top $1 billion, these people add.

And for good reason: The Bush-Jeter team could face a competing bid from an investor group led by Tagg Romney, the son of 2012 GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney. Tagg Romney is the managing partner at Solamere Capital, a Boston-based investment firm. It’s unclear if Mitt Romney will play a direct role in any potential bid from this group; the elder Romney is chairman of Solamere Capital.

At least one other group could bid on the team led by hedge fund investor Wayne Rothbaum, the founder of Quogue Capital. Rothbaum is said to have backing from Goldman Sachs (GS), while the Jeter-Bush team will have backing from Citigroup (C) and will be represented by former Morgan Stanley (MS) brokerage chief Gregg Fleming.

I personally find Jeter to be an entirely over rated player who has always been smugly drunk on his own "greatness" and clearly wants to stay on the stage.  Whatever.  I am rooting for him to fail at buying the team OR get the team and have them absolutely sick.

OVER RATED.  Hall of Fame? yes.  Top tier all time player?  Nope.  I'll call him third tier, just good enough to get into HOF.  So much fawning and hype. . . 

5 hours ago, Redondo said:

The bidding war for the Miami Marlins baseball team has taken a new turn as a former presidential candidate and a future hall of famer have teamed up to buy the franchise and could face off against an investor group led by the son of another presidential candidate, FOX Business has learned.

Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush and former Yankee great Derek Jeter are now working to make a joint bid for the Marlins, according to people with direct knowledge of the matter. The duo decided to join forces over the past week, in order to pool resources for a bid that is likely to top $1 billion, these people add.

And for good reason: The Bush-Jeter team could face a competing bid from an investor group led by Tagg Romney, the son of 2012 GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney. Tagg Romney is the managing partner at Solamere Capital, a Boston-based investment firm. It’s unclear if Mitt Romney will play a direct role in any potential bid from this group; the elder Romney is chairman of Solamere Capital.

At least one other group could bid on the team led by hedge fund investor Wayne Rothbaum, the founder of Quogue Capital. Rothbaum is said to have backing from Goldman Sachs (GS), while the Jeter-Bush team will have backing from Citigroup (C) and will be represented by former Morgan Stanley (MS) brokerage chief Gregg Fleming.

Is that what they are calling political donations now?

14 hours ago, disarcina said:

why are the Florida based teams such a mess ?

Loria is terrible in Miami. Almost any new ownership would be better,

Tampa Bay may have the worst ballpark in MLB  (Oakland Coliseum not far behind).

South Florida is a terrible place to watch baseball...   The area the park in Miami is in leaves a lot to be desired as well.  But the humidity and constant rain showers makes for a craptastic day at the ballpark.  

90 degrees and raining is pretty much the norm during the summer.   

22 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I personally find Jeter to be an entirely over rated player who has always been smugly drunk on his own "greatness" and clearly wants to stay on the stage.  Whatever.  I am rooting for him to fail at buying the team OR get the team and have them absolutely sick.

OVER RATED.  Hall of Fame? yes.  Top tier all time player?  Nope.  I'll call him third tier, just good enough to get into HOF.  So much fawning and hype. . . 

10/10, would read again.

On 4/20/2017 at 9:04 AM, Dtwncbad said:

to me, he's an accumulator for the most part and is overrated because he played for the yankees.  He's a gray ink guy as opposed to a black ink guy.  He was also better in the playoffs than he was during the regular season and was a big part of the yankees winning 5 WS during his tenure.  

I always thought he handled the media attention fairly well with a shade of smugness mixed with accommodation.  

the thing about him that was most overrated was his defense - even in his prime when he was winning gold gloves out of popularity, it was still below avg.  

he's an avg hall of famer in my book.  I think it would be great for baseball if he was the poster child minority owner for the marlins.  

1 hour ago, Dick B Back said:

Say what you want about Jeter, but 3465 hits gets you in the Hall. Period.

Yes.  I think you help make my point.  3465 is a pre-punched ricket.  To me it seems like he has been treated like he was the best player in the game for a generation, and he wasn't even the best shortstop.  There is an argument he wasn't in the top five SS over the last 25 yrs.  ARod, Ripken, Ozzie, Yount,  then take your pick among Trammell, Larkin and Jeter for the fifth spot.

Is he treated like the fifth best player at his position in a generation?

Jeters lifetime WAR is 71.8.  Pretty much even with Bobby Grich at 70.9.

On 4/19/2017 at 4:39 PM, Troll Daddy said:

It's a over pay for sure but that's the price you pay to land your franchise player. 

Marlins are only paying him $107M over the first six years (under pay). He can opt out at the age of 31 and become a free agent. 

Trout will be getting 350 from a AL East team in a few years. Maybe 375m

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Yes.  I think you help make my point.  3465 is a pre-punched ricket.  To me it seems like he has been treated like he was the best player in the game for a generation, and he wasn't even the best shortstop.  There is an argument he wasn't in the top five SS over the last 25 yrs.  ARod, Ripken, Ozzie, Yount,  then take your pick among Trammell, Larkin and Jeter for the fifth spot.

Treated like the best player in a generation by who?

11 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I think Jeter had a better career than Ozzie, Young, Trammel, Larkin and he didn't have the steroid scandal than ARod.  He is an inter-circle HOFer and I am not really even a fan of his.